Using biometrics to unlock | Facial recognition (Howdy)

ugaftaugafta
edited April 12 in Linux Beta

Hello. Howdy provides Windows Hello™ style authentication for Linux and it would be nice if this was supported under Linux in 1Password.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Dayton_agDayton_ag

Team Member

Hey @ugafta, thanks so much for writing in with this feature request! I can't make any promises for future additions to 1Password, but I'n happy to pass this request along to the team. :smile: Let me know if I can help with anything else. :+1:

• Dayton_agDayton_ag

Team Member

As a quick follow up to this post, 1Password works with any PAM-integrated authentication method - we suggest using the PAM frontend that is included with your desktop environment.

• Hey @Dayton_ag somehow I can not get it to work :-\

• Dayton_agDayton_ag

Team Member

Hi @ugafta, thanks for sharing your results - I'm sorry you weren't able to get it up and running.

To confirm, are you having any trouble with using your system authentication system to unlock 1Password, or is Howdy the only aspect that's not working? If you're having trouble enabling 1Password's integration with system authentication I'll be happy to help out, but I won't be able to offer any support for third-party programs such as Howdy.

• Hi @Dayton_ag I am having trouble enabling 1Password integration with system authentication. Any help would be appreciated.
    Howdy works, but it does not seem to be recognized as system authentication to unlock 1Password.

• Dayton_agDayton_ag

Team Member

Hey @ugafta,

No problem, I can definitely help with enabling system authentication within 1Password! First, please open a terminal on your device, and paste and run the following command:

cd .config/1Password/settings

This will put you in the directory for the settings file. Next, run this command:

gedit settings.json.

This will open the settings file for the 1Password app, or create one if it does not yet exist. If the file is empty, paste the following contents into the text file:

{
      "$schema": "https://downloads.1password.com/schema/settings.json",
      "security.authenticatedUnlock.enabled": true
    }

This will tell 1Password to use the system authentication service. Once that's done, save the file, and close out your terminal. Then, lock 1Password and launch it again - a fingerprint icon should appear beside the Master Password field. Clicking that fingerprint icon should open your system's authenticated unlock service.

Could you give that a try, and let me know how you get along? Thanks! :smile:

• Hey @Dayton_ag,

I'm using Ubuntu Budgie 20.04.2 LTS with three local accounts and your first command didn't find this directory.

After a search I found all these directories:

/home/<USER1>/snap/1password/31/.config/1Password/settings
    /home/<USER1>/snap/1password/32/.config/1Password/settings
    /home/<USER1>/snap/1password/current/.config/1Password/settings
    /home/<USER2>/snap/1password/31/.config/1Password/settings
    /home/<USER2>/snap/1password/32/.config/1Password/settings
    /home/<USER2>/snap/1password/current/.config/1Password/settings
    /home/<USER3>/snap/1password/31/.config/1Password/settings
    /home/<USER3>/snap/1password/32/.config/1Password/settings
    /home/<USER3>/snap/1password/current/.config/1Password/settings

Do I need to change this for each user and what is the correct directory to add the settings.json file? It does not yet exist in any of the above directories. Thanks for the help :)

• Dayton_agDayton_ag

Team Member
    edited May 3

Hey @ugafta,

Ah, my apologies! Currently, the Snap version doesn't yet provide the system interfaces we need in order to support this feature.

If you'd like, you can install 1Password from terminal, which does support unlock via system authentication - here's how to do so: https://support.1password.com/getting-started-linux/#debian-or-ubuntu

Once installed, you can enable System Authentication in the Settings menu. Click your account name in the top-left corner of the 1Password app, then click Settings. Once there, head to the Security tab, and enable Unlock using system authentication service.

ref: https://gitlab.1password.io/dev/core/core/#4547

• @Dayton_ag thank you very much and finally it works. After I uninstalled the Snap version and installed 1Password via the terminal, I checked the settings.json. The following line was missing
    "$schema": "https://downloads.1password.com/schema/settings.json",
    The other one was already included. After that I had the option of fingerprinting :)

• Dayton_agDayton_ag

Team Member

@ugafta:

Ah, excellent! Glad things are up and running for you now. :smile:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file