How do you access Generated Password history for passwords generated from the System Tray?

Options

I am using Windows 10 and this is regarding the desktop app, as accessed from the System Tray, specifically.

I right clicked on the system tray icon, selected Password Generator, & generated a password with the password generator, copied and pasted into the app that was creating the account... and now it's gone forever? 😬

I understand that 1Password keeps a history of generated passwords, but all advice I could find was regarding the browser extension, which is not applicable here. (I did check my browser extension anyways, however, and as expected, the password is not in the generated history. The most recent generated password was days ago)

I have gone into the full desktop app, but of course, there is not a Password Generator there, and thus no generated history, which I could find.

Any guidance would be appreciated!

1Password Version: 7.6.793
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro for Workstations Insider210123-1645
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:How do you access Generated Password history for passwords generated from the System Tray?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited April 2021
    Options

@Steve Calamia If you open the full desktop app, you should see some new items under the category Passwords. These items contain the passwords generated by the 1Password mini password generator.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Steve Calamia:

missingbits is correct: every generated item ends up in the Passwords category in the Windows app. Can you take a look there?

• Steve Calamia
    Steve Calamia
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you so much. I managed to find it after following your advice and realizing that section could be sorted by date created. I have something like 40K entries in there. heh. Where do they come from? What does this section do?

For the record, or some kind of feedback?, that passwords category is one of the more confusing parts of the app. I'm sure it has purpose beyond being the generated password history (otherwise you would have called it that?)
    ...to me, for the last almost 10 years, it has just looked like a junk part of the app that I never use. for whatever that feedback is worth.

I think this is the first time I've known what to use that section for at all. ;)

Thanks again!

• Hi @Steve Calamia:

Thanks for this feedback, and I'm glad you were able to track down your missing password!

When a new password is generated using the password generator, we save it in a new Password-category entry - this is done to help prevent accidental lockouts. Beyond this, Password-type entries are useful for saving a password that is not necessarily accompanied by a username. For example, I have a few virtual machines, and I save their passwords with Password items, since they don't have usernames attached to them.

Let us know if we can help with anything else! :smile:

This discussion has been closed.