Import Firefox passwords

as Chrome does it
Hi!

I installed Chrome few weeks ago and I was kind of surprised, that it could import my passwords that I save with firefox (I hope I remember that properly).
So is there any posibillity, that 1password import them, too? Would save alot of work!

Julius

Comments

• JuliusH wrote:

Hi!

I installed Chrome few weeks ago and I was kind of surprised, that it could import my passwords that I save with firefox (I hope I remember that properly).
    So is there any posibillity, that 1password import them, too? Would save alot of work!

Julius

Hi JuliusH, welcome to the forums!

We do support importing passwords from Firefox.
    1. Open 1Password
    2. Open File Menu, and select Import..
    3. For import format, select Firefox and then press continue. It'll import the database automatically for you.

Please let me know how it turns out for you.

Thanks,
  • Hi,

Another noob question, I'm afraid - I'm using Firefox 3.6.8 and the 1Password Windoze *beta*. I've enabled firefox support and can use 1Password to manage logins, but I can't seem to find the "import" option under the file menu - am I missing something, or is the clue in the word "beta"? ;-)
  • Raptor wrote:

Hi,

Another noob question, I'm afraid - I'm using Firefox 3.6.8 and the 1Password Windoze *beta*. I've enabled firefox support and can use 1Password to manage logins, but I can't seem to find the "import" option under the file menu - am I missing something, or is the clue in the word "beta"? ;-)

That's right, the clue is the Beta tag. biggrin.gifThere's no import functionality in the 1Password for Windows right now, we are planning to include it in a future update.
  • JuliusH
    JuliusH
    Community Member
    Just found that feature, sorry for asking too fast! Please delete my post!
  • MikeT
    edited August 2010
    JuliusH wrote:

Just found that feature, sorry for asking too fast! Please delete my post!

Nothing to apologize for, it happens and not a lot of people might know about this feature. That's why I'll leave it here.
  • Thanks for saving this post.
    Did just install 1Password on my PC and created a database in Dropbox. Then I installed it on my Mac to import my FF passwords. 1password did automatically find my database in dropbox AWSOME! But when i choose to imort passwords from FF it just says "Please wait while passwords are imported from the browser." I did restart the Mac but it didnt help.
    After creating a new database on the Mac it did work the way it should.
  • Henry
    Henry
    1Password Alumni

If you happen upon this discussion now, please note that the steps in the comments above will no longer work!

There's a new way to import your passwords from Firefox into a 1Password account. You'll need a reasonably up-to-date version of Firefox on a Mac, Windows device, or Linux device, and this process requires a 1Password account. Note: The steps below are for Firefox 85. Earlier versions of Firefox do not support exporting passwords, so make sure Firefox is up-to-date if you have any trouble.

Part 1: Export from Firefox

Follow Mozilla's support guide here: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/export-login-data-firefox-lockwise

1. Click on the menu button (three horizontal line "hamburger menu").
    2. Click Logins and Passwords. The Firefox Lockwise about:logins page will open in a new tab.
    3. Click the triple-dots button in the top-right (looks like three meatballs, arranged horizontally), then click Export Logins….
    4. A dialog box will appear to remind you that passwords are saved as readable text – consider disabling backup software until you delete the exported file. Click the Export… button to continue. You may be prompted to enter your Primary Password, if enabled, or operating system authentication may be required when accessing stored passwords.
    5. You can choose the file name and location where this exported data will be saved. Make sure to choose a location on your computer that does not sync with the cloud (do not choose a OneDrive/iCloud/Google Drive folder).

Part 2: Import into 1Password

The full step-by-step process is in our support guide here: https://support.1password.com/import-1password-com/

Quick version is...

1. Sign in to your account on 1Password.com in your browser, and click your name in the top-right -> Import.

2. Then, click Other as the source of the import, and choose the vault to import into and the exported CSV file from your device.

3. Finally, you'll need to organize the imported information by choosing the content of each row (Login items) and each column (URL, username, password most importantly, and you can likely choose one as the Title and just ignore the rest).

Part 3: Cleaning up

Make sure everything shows up nicely in your vault in 1Password once the import finishes. You have one chance to press the little "Undo Import" button now if anything went wrong (like duplicated data) and try again. If you have any trouble, let me know!

Finally, with everything safely in 1Password, make sure completely delete the CSV file you exported from Firefox from your device, and re-enable backup software if you turned it off earlier. Finally, you can turn off your browser's built-in password keeper and use 1Password exclusively going forward!

Final note: Make sure you print your 1Password Emergency Kit, which contains your Secret Key, and memorize your Master Password. As long as you have both, you'll always be able to access your 1Password account.

Need help? If you have any trouble, please start a new thread or contact us via email. Thanks for using 1Password :)

This discussion has been closed.