Basic question on how to use 1Password

Options

I may be stupid, but I cannot get 1Password to work: I'm trying to change a password, and would like 1Password to generate one for me, but it doesn't seem to work. In the 'password' field, I click on the icon and it offers the existing password (which is incorrect - Keeper messed up all my passwords! - hence I am trying 1Password). It offers what I have. Looking at the video, 1Password says I should click the 1Password icon in my browser toolbar to bring up a menu which can then offer a password generator - but I don't have an icon, just the Chrome extension icon with no obvious option on the 1Password extension. If I click the 1Password icon in the password field, some menu appears, but it is underneath the stored password ...

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @rrtuckwell !

I should click the 1Password icon in my browser toolbar to bring up a menu which can then offer a password generator - but I don't have an icon.

Actually there are 2 browser extensions for 1Password. Both work different.

If you are using the "1Password classic extension" you find a button for the password generator on the left side.

If you are using "1Password in the browser" you have to click on the plus button to get the password generator.

I hope this helps?

• rrtuckwell
    rrtuckwell
    Community Member
    Options

Ah, thanks for that: I have neither:

I'll try to find out how to install it in Chrome - although it is already there?

I have seen great reviews for 1Password, but to me it seems unusable ...

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    edited May 2021
    Options

Hey @rrtuckwell !

You have to pin the 1Password extension!

This is a Chrome feature. All extensions are hidden after installation, and you have to pin them if you want to see them in the toolbar! ;)

• rrtuckwell
    rrtuckwell
    Community Member
    Options

Yes! that works - thank you!

None of the set up guides seem to show that.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

Great! :+1:

None of the set up guides seem to show that.

This feature is new to Chrome. It takes some time to change the guides. But I think that 1Password is working on it. ;)

• ag_tommy
    Options

:+1:

This discussion has been closed.