Browser Extension Requires Password When Desktop App Unlocked

jbhardmanjbhardman
edited May 23 in Linux

This is a mix of Linux and Browser extension question. Not sure which forum to put it.

On Arch Linux, and I have the new native Linux client working without issue. I have the tray icon showing it's unlocked.

But when I open my Chrome browser, the extension also requires me to unlock it. I have to enter the password everytime I close then re-open my browser. Even though the App is open and unlocked the whole time.

Where do I start looking?

Extension Version: 1.25.7
Desktop Version: 8.0.34-1


1Password Version: 8.0.34-1
Extension Version: 1.25.7
OS Version: Arch Linux
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

  • BlakeBlake

    Team Member
    edited June 3

    Hi @jbhardman 👋

    Could you confirm that browser integration is still enabled in the desktop app? To check, click your account name in the top-left corner of the 1Password for Linux, then click Settings, and switch to the Browser tab. We'll want to ensure that Connect with 1Password in your browser is enabled.

    If everything looks good there, could you please zip up your logs folder, and attach it in an email to [email protected] for me? You can find that folder at .config/1Password/logs

  • I don't even have that option.

  • @Blake Any ideas?

  • BlakeBlake

    Team Member
    edited June 3

    Apologies for the delayed reply @jbhardman 😞

    Could you double-check and let me know version of 1Password in your browser you currently have installed? The latest version should be 2.0.2.

    If you're not on 2.0.2, make sure you can access your data via 1Password.com, then uninstall the current extension and reinstall using the link I've left below.

    https://support.1password.com/getting-started-browser/

  • Yep, 2.0.2. Still requires login separate to browser plugin vs desktop app.

  • roustemroustem AgileBits Founder

    Team Member
    edited June 3

    I think the setting is in the "Browser" section, @Blake:

  • BlakeBlake

    Team Member

    Yikes. How embarrassing… — thanks for correcting me, though!

    Can you take another look here @jbhardman?

  • Yep, it's there and selected. Still requires password in browser every time.

  • I don't know if there are certain dependencies? I run a pretty minimal Arch with bspwm and just what I need running. Perhaps there are other services that I need that I don't have since it's not a traditional Gnome or KDE env?

  • SavanniSavanni

    Team Member

    Hi, @jbhardman . There may be some useful information in the log files, which you will find in ~/.config/1Password/logs. We also have subdirectories for BrowserSupport and the KeyringHelper.

    The most important thing to check is the permissions on 1Password-KeyringHelper. That file needs to be setuid, and it must be owned by root and part of the onepassword group. Without that, the keyring helper won't be able to save necessary encryption keys in the secure kernel keyring.

  • I think it's all correct. This is the file at /opt/1Password/1Password-KeyringHelper:

    -rwsr-sr-x 1 root onepassword 3.4M May 18 12:31 1Password-KeyringHelper
    
    

    The logs don't show anything other than normal INFO messages. The only thing that stands out is that the log in the KeyringHelper folder hasn't been written to since May 20th and today is June 4th. It just says:

    initalizing keyring helper
    
    
  • @jbhardman is it actually "Google Chrome" you are using or some Chrome-based browser like Vivaldi or even Chromium?
    If so, you might want to have a look at #598980 ..

    I had a similar issue with Manjaro + Vivaldi ..

  • That link isn't working, but yes, I am using Brave. It's chromium based and I installed the extension from the Chrome store...

  • Dayton_agDayton_ag

    Team Member

    @jbhardman Hmm, Brave should be working fine - to get a better look at things let's continue this conversation over email. Could you send me an email at [email protected]?

    When you email in, could you include a zipped copy of your logs folder? You can find it at ~/.config/1Password/logs.

    After you email in, you should receive a Conversation ID that looks like this: [#ABC-12345-678]. Please paste that here, and I'll use it to track your email down from my end.

    Thanks, I'm looking forward to getting this sorted for you! :smile:

  • [#TAY-52239-154]

  • @jbhardman .. sorry for the non-functional link, this here helped me to male vivaldi as intented ..
    https://1password.community/discussion/comment/598980#Comment_598980

  • Dayton_agDayton_ag

    Team Member

    Thanks for sharing what got things up and running for you @baseurito! :smile:

    ref: #TAY-52239-154

  • I followed those instructions with no luck. I tried in the browser file:
    brave
    brave-browser
    brave-beta
    brave-browser-beta
    brave-bin

    All are things I see as potentials on my system (I use the beta build) but not working still.

  • I solved it!
    I am using the beta browser. I found that in:
    .config/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser/NativeMessagingHosts
    There is a file called:
    com.1password.1password.json

    Well, all of my stuff is in a folder called "Brave-Browser-Beta". I copied that 1password file into the NativeMessagingHosts over in the beta directory, and boom. Unlocked with desktop client is working.
    @Dayton_ag

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file