1Password 6 and Big Sur

Comments

• evediana
    evediana
    Community Member

I just upgraded my Mac to the Big Sur operating system (11.4) and would like to continue using 1Password v. 6.8.9 (from a purchased license). Can I still use this version with Big Sur or do I need to upgrade to a version with a monthly charge? I really don't need the bells and whistles -- in all the years I've used 1Password I've only used tech support when I got hung up during an upgrade.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @evediana!

1Password 6 has not been tested on Big Sur, so while there is nothing stopping you from using it there, not everything might work as expected. I should also say that we have some customers who use 1Password 6 on Big Sur without apparent issues, but we have also heard of others where things stopped working, so it's definitely an "at your risk" update.

Our recommendation would be to update to 1Password 7 at this point, since 1Password 6 has not been updated for close to 3 years now. Should there be any issues with 1Password 6 and Big Sur, our recommendation would be to update to version 7 at that point anyway.

• macindigo
    macindigo
    Community Member
    edited June 2021

@evediana

1Password 6.8.9 runs well under Big Sur 11.4 on my 24" iMac 2021 M1 (Apple silicon).

There is no 1Password 6 Safari extension but the Google Chrome extension works. For frequently accessed websites, copy and paste once from 1Password mini and then save as a Safari password. It's just as secure as in 1Password. Incidentally, the Touch ID on the new iMac works in 1Password 6 and is very convenient.

Installing 1Password 6 under Big Sur requires setting System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General > Allow apps downloaded from: Anywhere. If the Anywhere setting is not visible in your Security & Privacy settings, then it's been disabled.

To enable the Anywhere setting, quit System Preferences and then in Terminal, execute: sudo spctl --master-disable

The following are my 1Password 6 Preferences settings for Big Sur:

General
    Use rich icons: false
    Show item count in sidebar: true

Security
    Allow Touch ID to unlock 1Password: true
    Lock after computer is idle for 15 minutes (default: 5): true
    Clear clipboard contents after 90 seconds (default): false

Watchtower
    Enable 1Password Watchtower: false (default: true)

Browsers
    Automatically sign in after filling usernames and passwords: false (default: true)

WLAN Server
    Run a WLAN server from this Mac to sync with IOS and Android devices: true (default: false)

Updates
    Automatically check for updates: false (default: true)

Advanced
    Show numbers and symbols first: true (default: false)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for sharing your experience with the community @macindigo!

• rrellio
    rrellio
    Community Member

Thanks @macindigo, 1Password 6 successfully installed on my m1 MacBook Pro after enabling the Anywhere setting. Also thanks for the Preferences detail!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of macindigo, you are very welcome :)

This discussion has been closed.