Feature Request: Don't regenerate password on slider mouse up

Options

In the browser extension's password generator, new passwords are generated while the mouse is used to drag the "Length" slider. Upon releasing the mouse, another password is generated. I would find it useful for the browser extension to behave like the Mac desktop app does: To generate new passwords while sliding/dragging, but not to change the password shown upon release of the mouse.

The reason for this is I use the slider to quickly generate new passwords until I find one that I like (meaning, perhaps it could be memorable). Currently, upon seeing a password I like, releasing the mouse overwrites it immediately.

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2013
    Options

The point of the password generator is to have a truly random password. If you are picking one you like it is isn't really random any more. 1Password is designed to securely generate, store, and fill your passwords so you don't have to remember them. :)

For the extremely small number of passwords you may need to remember (such as for Dropbox, email, etc.) we recommend using the same technique we advocate for strong, memorable master passwords:

Toward Better Master Passwords

All that said, I'll certainly pass your request along to the developers. There isn't any reason I can think of to have an inconsistency like that between the main application and the browser extension(s).

Thanks for your feedback!

This discussion has been closed.