Better support for native Windows applications

Options

I really miss the 1Password 4 ability to autotype passwords into native Windows applications. It really slows me down as I have a number of native applications I need to log into frequently.

I'd love to see this feature finally migrated into 1Password 7, but I know it's been requested before and does not appear to be a high priority. This is the top feature missing from 1Password today.

I know the alternative with 1Password 7 is to drag-n-drop from the username/password context menu, but this has some usability issues and isn't perfect. I do think there are some tweaks that could make this better:

The biggest problem is dealing with context menus is less than ideal. You've got to right-click to bring up the context menu and then hope you don't accidentally mouse somewhere that makes the menu disappear. Then you've got to start the drag operation on the correct menu item. For someone who suffered with carpal tunnel, minimizing mouse clicks helps a lot. Also, from my years of programming and user testing, I know many people have issues with context menus due to the precision it can take. For some, it's no issue, for others it can be a real problem.

So here's some tweaks that I think could fix things:

1. Bring back support for autotyping in native applications (as previously stated). If this was done, none of the other requests would really matter.
  2. Allowing dragging of the password entry item from the 1Password mini/app window into a native window, instead of having to drop from the username/password context menu items. When the item is dropped, prompt the user to select which saved entry they want to autotype. However, I suspect this might be problematic based on the way the Windows drag/drop APIs work.
  3. Allow keyboard modifiers to be used with the drag/drop operation. If #2 cannot be done, then dragging/dropping the password item into a field would type the username. Holding a keyboard modifier, such as the SHIFT key would type the password.

This would definitely speed things up and reduce some of the mouse interactions. I suspect the improvements to the drag/drop would not be too difficult to implement and certainly would improve the usability for those features for me.

1Password Version: 7.7.807
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Blake
    Options

Hi @dswitzer 👋

Thanks for sharing your feedback here. We've covered AutoType in another thread recently, so please make sure to read things over there.

That said, as you mentioned, there are no plans to change how Drag & Drop works within 1Password 7 for Windows at this time. I'll be sure to pass things along to the team, though!

This discussion has been closed.