Automatic Detection of maxlength?

Options

I've searched the forums, and found a few mentions of this, and the follow-up is that the 1P extension detects and respects a password field's maxlength attribute, but I've never seen it work.

If I'm creating a new login, and I go to the Strong Password Generator, I'd expect it to shorten its length slider setting automatically to match the maxlength attribute of a password field, yet it never does. I have to use Safari's Inspector to determine the field's attributes and manually set the slider to an appropriate value.

For example, on the Wyndham Rewards enrollment page, the password field has maxlength=16, yet opening the SPG leaves the length slider at the last value.

Am I doing something wrong, or does it just not work?

I'm using Safari 6.0.2 on OS X 10.8.2 with 1P Extension 3.9.9 & 1P MAS 3.9.6

Thanks.

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2013
    Options

I don't believe the current extension does this. It was a feature of the old extension from over a year ago (maybe a couple years now) that just was never reimplemented in the current version. I think this may be only the second time anyone has mentioned it, so you might imagine that it is not our number one priority because of that. However, I will definitely pass your vote for this along to the developers (RM2021).

Thank you for the feedback, and please do let me know if there is anything else I can help with in the meantime.

Cheers!

• SpinalNeon9446
    SpinalNeon9446
    Community Member
    Options

This probably wouldn't be much a problem, except for a change that took place around the time Safari 5.0 came out, along with the new 1P extension (I'm not sure which was responsible).

I had a password that turned out to be too long. When filling the form with the old version 1P on Safari 4.x, the password would be truncated and all would be well. In the new version, it would just stuff the whole thing into the input field and login would fail. However, manually copying the password and pasting would truncate and it would work. It took me a while to figure this out (after getting locked out of my banking site a few times) and change to a shorter, valid password.

Anyway, thanks for adding it to your enhancement list, however low the priority.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2013
    Options

It sounds like that specific case you mention was actually a problem on the server side since the site should have never allowed you to set a password longer than the limit they imposed. I actually ran into a similar bug when using Mint.com with my Citi account. I had a 50 character password that worked just fine on Citi's website, but for some reason Mint.com was truncating it to 30 characters so it wouldn't work until I made it shorter. The error message was not helpful at all, and it took a lot of trial and error to figure that one out.

We'll try to do our part to make sure 1Password doesn't make these sorts of situations any worse than they already are. :)

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Options

Hey throw me in there about getting it to catch the appropriate length. It was a nice feature.

This discussion has been closed.