Accessing Security Question Answers

Options

Hey all, looking for a best practice for storing my generated pronounceable security question answers (having followed the advice from the blog a while back), so I can get to them easily in the browser.

For one of my financial accounts, there are five potential security questions (for each one, I had to pick a different question from a dropdown of ~10 options). It's random which question I'll get for a given login session. The form field is on a separate "challenge" page after logging in with my username and password, and it has the same name no matter which question has been selected. How should I enter my question/answer pairs so I can get to them easily from the plugin's fill menu?

This workflow is similar for other accounts that use security questions (although in some cases I can choose my own security question(s) instead of picking from classic ones like Mother's Middle Name), so I want something fairly general. Thanks!

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You could try saving separate Login items for each security question if you want to try having 1Password fill them for you. Depending on the site that could be hit or miss, though and likely more trouble than it's worth since I've never seen a site that requires you to answer security questions more than once on the same machine. Once you have answered them on one computer, you don't need to do it again.

I just store them all in the Notes field as described in the aforelinked blog post. A quick press of Option-Command-\ and then the Right arrow key allows me to scroll down and select the specific answer I need to copy and paste it.

• UltraNurd
    UltraNurd
    Community Member
    Options

I think notes fields will be best for now. I've found some websites do weird scripting things with the security question fields so sometimes even copy/paste is disabled, which is annoying, but bringing up the notes works quickly enough.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Indeed. I have found that to be the best option. Thankfully inputting the answers to security questions is not a common task. :)

We'll see how we can make this better in the future, though.

This discussion has been closed.