Copy passwords under pure Wayland

Options
2»

Comments

• smgt
    smgt
    Community Member
    Options

@Claudi It has always worked copying passwords from the browser extension (using firefox). When I switched to wayland from xorg I never seamed to be able to copy passwords from the electron app. Then one day, it just worked. So either 1password did something to the electron app or there was something I updated in the wayland stack. I run arch so I get the latest software releases.

Maybe someone from 1Password can shed some light on the issue?

• haizaar
    haizaar
    Community Member
    Options

Good day,
    Besides clipboard, another issue for me is that ssh-agent doesn't work in wayland:

Jun 27 16:48:01 ... 1password[45604]: INFO  2023-06-27T06:48:01.617 tokio-runtime-worker(ThreadId(4)) [1P:ssh/op-ssh-agent/src/lib.rs:358] ssh authorization prompt timed out
    Jun 27 16:48:01 ... 1password[45604]: [45604:0627/164801.620653:ERROR:browser_main_loop.cc(274)] Gtk: gtk_widget_get_scale_factor: assertion 'GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

No UI prompt is displayed, and e.g. git push just times out.

$ git push
    sign_and_send_pubkey: signing failed for ED25519 "SSH GitHub 1password" from agent: communication with agent failed

• mattya
    mattya
    Community Member
    Options

Hello,

I still can't get copying to work from the desktop app under Wayland on Fedora or Arch Linux (using Sway as the window manager). I am running the app like this:

/opt/1Password/1password --log debug --enable-features=UseOzonePlatform --ozone-platform=wayland

The app was installed from the official repositories.

Below are some steps I took to attempt to debug the issue.

I don't see any debug output for the clipboard except for this:

DEBUG 2023-07-20T16:33:46.989 invocation_loop(ThreadId(21)) [1P:op-app/src/app/backend.rs:284] Invoked: FieldAction(OpAppFieldActionClickedRequest { item_id: <ItemRowId>, action: SecureCopy(<SecureCopyAction>) })

I thought maybe 1Password was copying but the selection was being cleared. I ran the following command to check:

wl-paste -w wl-paste

However the selection never changes when I copy from 1Password.

@smgt could you share more info about your setup since it works for you?

I looked at the https://github.com/1Password/arboard library and tried running the examples. The "hello_world" example does work for me if I enable the "wayland-data-control" feature. So the library itself does seem to work, just not the 1Password app for some reason.

• Claudi
    Claudi
    Community Member
    Options

The "hello_world" example does work for me if I enable the "wayland-data-control" feature

Interesting point. Look at this:

$ strings /opt/1Password/resources/app.asar.unpacked/index.node | grep -i --color=always 'arboard' | wc -l

$ strings /opt/1Password/resources/app.asar.unpacked/index.node | grep -i --color=always 'wl-clipboard-rs' | wc -l

No signs of wl-clipboard-rs whatsoever?
    Could it be that the development team simply has forgotten to turn on the wayland-data-control feature?

The fix would be to change just a single line in their Cargo.toml, right?

E. g., the line

arboard = "3.0"

would have to be changed to:

arboard = { version = "3.0", features = ["wayland-data-control"] }

Could it be that this is all it takes to fix the issue? Or am I on the wrong track?

• pluiedev
    pluiedev
    Community Member
    Options

1Password is currently the only reason I'm stuck with X11 — Xwayland mode didn't even work for me (it showed a simple black screen instead) and while the Electron app does run on Wayland natively with flags, the SSH signer I depend on is completely broken (Git simply complains that the signer didn't appear to do anything and there's no pop up asking me to input credentials.)

Can we get more momentum for fixing this, please? I'd really like to use my graphics tablet and swipe gestures that aren't available on X11 🤦🏻‍♀️

• papabryce
    papabryce
    Community Member
    Options

Are there any updates on this? I need to use Wayland because I use two different monitors at two different scales. On XWayland, 1Password is huge on my second monitor.

• solarizde
    solarizde
    Community Member
    Options

Good finding @Claudi I bet this would at least solve some of the issues. Unfortunately it is currently more than just the clipboard. I hope the future com of the 1p Team will be a bit more inclusive on that problem. This is not just a "small glitch" I really fear that with current lack of coms with a major thing like Wayland that they might drop linux support (Not abandon their 1p linux but make it unsupported) fully when more and more moving away to wayland.

Still I cant understand the whole Linux community, even normally very slowly adapting distros, jumping on the wayland train and 1p... yeah no let`s dont go there.

• markstos
    markstos
    Community Member
    Options

Copying from Quick Access is still not working with Sway/Wayland on Arch Linux whether I launch 1Password as an XWayland or Wayland app.

• Claudi
    Claudi
    Community Member
    Options

To the 1Password support team: I don't understand why you're not prioritizing this. How is copying passwords not a crucial feature that's supposed to work?

It's been three years and I'm still stuck with an unusable desktop app. Can you imagine how I'm feeling about this, given that I've been a paying customer for more than 15 years?