Looking for options to eliminate Reused Password tag due to Login + Email Accounts

Options

So I prefer to keep my re-used passwords at 0. Should be easy enough with a random password generator right? That's the entire point of a password manager.

However I have my private email's website login information stored as a log in. As of today im beginning to add my email account's server information as "Email Accounts" entries so if I ever need to set up a new email client I dont need to go looking for server/port info etc.

Unfortunately passwords from items in that category seem to cross-check with passwords from the logins category resulting in each email account being flagged relative to its website entry in the logins category.

What are my options? Obviously I can delete the item from the email account or the log in, but id prefer not to do that. Even just deleting the password info from one or the other complicates things as if im going to log into it through the browser I can no longer autofill or conversely if i'm setting up an email client I have to grab information from 2 places which seems convoluted.

I dont know if theres any good solution I guess relative to the current implementation which is why im asking. A flag to disable this on a per item basis? A means of disabling checks between categories or these two categories specifically?

Is this a case of I'll have to deal with the drawbacks/pick my poison sort of thing?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @klepp0906!

One option could be to only keep the Login item (so you can fill the credentials on webpages too), and add some custom fields to the Login item with the additional information that you need, without using the entire Email template:

Customize your 1Password items

For the future, we are looking at ways to allow manually updating the list of findings from Watchtower, which might also be useful in your example. In the meantime, I have let the developers know that you brought this up too :+1:

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#130

• klepp0906
    klepp0906
    Community Member
    Options

Perfect, thank you. It gets pretty complex for those of us who like to be organized and I know i constantly find myself adding more and more to 1Password. (practically a full time job curating the darned thing!)

In the meantime, I thought of another solution that sort of solves 2 problems at once. Several of my email accounts require an app-specific password to be used with an email client. I had those saved in a plaintext document on the backburner until I figured out where to best fit them in. I think the email template/entries for passwords may be the spot :)

That just leaves the ones that arent using an app-specific password. Hopefully they all have the option to set one up, in that case I'll use that for now.

Makes sense right? :P

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@klepp0906:

I had those saved in a plaintext document on the backburner until I figured out where to best fit them in. I think the email template/entries for passwords may be the spot :)

I put these in the Login item myself, but this sounds like it can also work well!

This discussion has been closed.