Feature Request: Frustration with 1 website, different 2FA tokens

Options
Ryan Parman
Ryan Parman
Community Member

Super edge-casey request here:

1. Amazon.com (Retail) supports TOTP codes for 2FA.
  2. Amazon Web Services (AWS) supports TOTP codes for 2FA.
  3. They both accept the same username + password (for the AWS root account, anyway).
  4. They each use different systems for 2FA verification.

The result is that amazon.com, aws.amazon.com, forums.aws.amazon.com, etc., all use the same login credentials. It also means that I have 2 different TOTP codes for 2FA, depending on which part of *.amazon.com I'm on.

1Password supports having two TOTP codes. This request is to support tying a TOTP code to a particular website in the list of websites that a Login supports. Like an object. Instances of TOTPs and instances of websites, linked together.

Currently, only the first one is copied to my clipboard for pasting. Inevitably, I end up having to pause, open 1Password, copy the right code, switch back, and paste again. This is normally fine (albeit tedious), except that one of the Amazon-owned apps clears your login information when switching to a different app and back for my security.

😑😑😑

I've considered simply using the tools that 1Password gives me and creating a second Login entry, but then every time I change my password, I have to change multiple entries. Either way I'm dealing with tedium.

1Password Version: 7.8.6 (70806001)
Extension Version: Safari
OS Version: macOS 11.5 Beta (20G5052c)
Sync Type: iCloud + 1P Family

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Ryan Parman!

I've considered simply using the tools that 1Password gives me and creating a second Login entry, but then every time I change my password, I have to change multiple entries. Either way I'm dealing with tedium.

I agree, neither solution is perfect for the way these specific websites are setup. Most websites that support 2FA also require you to use different username and passwords combination too. Personally, I would probably create two Login items so I can have 2FA handled automatically by 1Password in both of them: I use 2FA much more often than I change passwords, so having 1Password copy codes automatically to the clipboard would bring more benefit than manually having to copy the second 2FA code from the Login item.

This discussion has been closed.