Password strength - display and sort

jktrigg
jktrigg
Community Member

Please add the following two features to 1Password for Linux (and other clients if possible):
1) Show password strength when viewing an entry
2) Sort by password strength

This would be very useful for finding which passwords need changing because they're not strong enough.

Thanks.

1Password Version: 8.0.34
Extension Version: 2.0.4
OS Version: Ubuntu 20.04
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey there @jktrigg, thanks so much for posting!

Show password strength when viewing an entry

You can view the strength of an entry's password on the right-hand side of the password field - for example, here's the password strength of one of my test items:

Sort by password strength

The Watchtower view allows you to look at entries based on their strength classification, and change the weakest passwords first - to do so, click the Watchtower section in the left-hand column of the app, then click Show Items for the category you'd like to work on to see all items under that category.

Let me know what you think! :smile:

• jktrigg
    jktrigg
    Community Member

The Watchtower only allows you to work with weak passwords, not any of the stronger categories. I want to be able to go through my fair passwords.

• Blake
    edited July 2021

@jktrigg

Ah! I can totally see how being able to filter down the various password-strength categories outside of the "weak" passwords would be handy!

I've filed this as a feature request with our development team. Thanks a ton for your feedback!

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#817

• RustyIron
    RustyIron
    Community Member

Thanks! Searching for just this solution. Scrolling through hundreds of passwords and checking their quality makes my eyes bug out.

• We appreciate that, @RustyIron - and hope future updates to Watchtower will be to your liking. Thanks for letting us know!

• salty
    salty
    Community Member

definite +1 for this feature - I've already fixed all (*) of my "weak" passwords, but I'd like to easily find the "fair" and "good" ones as well.

The (*) is because some of them are not within my control, and I'd really like to be able to tell watchtower to ignore them. Some specific examples: accounts with weak constraints (4-digit PIN), orgs that have a "members area" where they just circulate a short password to access it.

• Hey folks! Guess what: you can now view lists of your passwords, sorted by strength, as rated by Watchtower. 🥳

This has been implemented in the latest Beta release (8.7.0-41), if you're interested to check it out.

Full details on this release, which includes a number of other significant additions and improvements as well, can be found at the links in this discussion here:

https://1password.community/discussion/128543/beta-12-of-2022-is-now-available-️#latest

You can do this by going to Watchtower, and clicking on the color-coded bar beneath "Overall Password Strength." This will open a list of your items, sorted by strength, with a label at the top of each section (so all your "fantastic" passwords first, and so on).

If you'd like to give it a try, we'd love to hear about your experience with it!

@jktrigg @salty @RustyIron

This discussion has been closed.