Default "Cmd+\" shortcut has a conflict on macOS Monterey

Options
gradams
gradams
Community Member
edited November 2021 in Mac

If you change the 1Password pop-up menu shortcut from "Cmd+\" to anything else, then try to set it back or press the "restore old shortcut" icon, you get an alert that it conflicts with a system shortcut. I checked all of my system shortcuts in my system preferences and nothing comes up.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS Monterey Public Beta
Sync Type: Not Provided

ref: dev/apple/issues#5548

Comments

• @gradams

I apologize for the late reply. Did you resolve your issue?

• branok
    branok
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same problem, but didn't find any CMD+\ in System wide shortcut settings ... :(((

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@branok:

Does something launch if you use the Cmd+\ shortcut outside of 1Password?

• mpepping
    mpepping
    Community Member
    Options

There actually has to be a 1Password window open (e.g. visible when CMD+TAB'ing) for CMD+\ to work.
    It does not work when only the 1Password helper is active (and unlocked) in the Menubar.

IIRC the 1Password CMD+\ global shortcut always worked. Just as long the 1Pasword helper was active.

To answer your question @ag_ana, nothing launches, when using CMD+\ 'outside' 1Password.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2021
    Options

@mpepping:

There actually has to be a 1Password window open (e.g. visible when CMD+TAB'ing) for CMD+\ to work.
    It does not work when only the 1Password helper is active (and unlocked) in the Menubar.

That's right, by using the shortcut outside of 1Password I wanted to know if something other than 1Password was using it, so thanks for checking :+1:

What keyboard layout are you currently using?

• branok
    branok
    Community Member
    Options

Standard default english.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@branok:

I can test it for you, but I will need more details: which English is default for you? In my macOS preferences, I see Australian, British, British - PC, Canadian, Irish, U.S. and U.S. International - PC. Thank you!

• branok
    branok
    Community Member
    Options

I cannot find how to edit/remove my post, isn't it possible?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@branok:

I have removed it for you :+1: We will keep an eye out for this and we will continue investigating, hopefully we will be able to reproduce this.

• ysh4312
    ysh4312
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there - just wondering if you were able to find a fix as I'm experiencing this issue as well? Thanks !!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ysh4312:

I have heard back from the developers, and I was told that they managed to reproduce the behavior, but that this is unfortunately not fixable. If I hear back with more details I will be happy to post them here :+1:

• ysh4312
    ysh4312
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @ag_ana - would love to know if you find a fix as it's a shortcut I was using everyday since the early days of 1password!

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited November 2021
    Options

Way back when, I recall that something, I think Safari, already used Cmd-\ . As a result, I changed my default keystroke to Ctrl-. Of course, if you are really used to Cmd-\ , having to change it is a poor solution. Really, we need to know why the problem is not fixable, has Monterey actually introduced a new keyboard shortcut.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ysh4312:

We will be happy to post back here should there be any updates in the future :+1:

• @danco,

It is claimed by the OS as in-use on a stock install with no 3rd party applications other than the one i'm running to test register the shortcut.

• branok
    branok
    Community Member
    Options

"in-use" by what??? :-O nothing is hanged on this shortcut, nothing is executed ... apple doesn't respond, I expect. :(

• @branok,

Unfortunately the public API that lets us get a listing of in-use global keyboard shortcuts doesn't have any information about what app or process has claimed it. There are only 3 values for each hot key: the key itself, the modifiers (command, control, option, shift) and whether or not its enabled. I don't think there are material flaws in the logic we're using to check this state, but this API call is what we're using to verify that you're not trying to assign an in-use keyboard shortcut: https://github.com/agilebits/shortcutrecorder/blob/master/Framework/Source/SRValidator.m#L73

• Jolin Warren
    Jolin Warren
    Community Member
    Options

For the many years I've used 1Password, I have ⌘\ set to "Show 1Password" and ⌘⌥\ set to "Fill Login or Show 1Password". This is the reverse of the defaults, so when setting up on a new computer or clean install, I would go into the 1Password preferences, clear the default shortcuts, and then set them to my preference.

I recently set up a new computer running MacOS 12 Monterey and went to do the same thing. However, after clearing the defaults, when trying to set "Show 1Password" to ⌘\, MacOS gives the following error:

The key combination ⌘\ can't be used!
    The key combination "Command + \" can't be used because it's already used by a system-wide keyboard shortcut. (If you really want to use this key combination, most shortcuts can be changed in the Keyboard & Mouse panel in System Preferences.)

It's bizarre, because as far as I can tell this is not a system-wide shortcut. I haven't found anywhere that it does anything (always gives a 'no' beep when I press it), and I've gone through everything in the Keyboard system preference pane and it doesn't appear there either. Furthermore, it's clearly possible to set this as a shortcut, as the default 1Password installation had ⌘\ assigned to "Fill Login or Show 1Password". I've not been able to find any reference or solution to this issue, except for one thread on AskDifferent discussing the same thing in relation to "Divvy". That was solved by editing the plist file directly.

I was wondering if there is a defaults command I could use to restore the ⌘\ shortcut to "Show 1Password". I notice the 1Password preference file (com.agilebits.onepassword7.plist) contains the keys ShortcutRecorder BrowserActivation and ShortcutRecorder GlobalActivation, but I'm not sure if those are the correct ones to edit, and what values I need if so.

Any help with this would be hugely appreciated. I have a decade or more of muscle memory pressing ⌘\ to activate 1Password, and it's driving me crazy constantly getting beeped at when I do so!

1Password Version: 7.9.1
    Extension Version: 7.9.1
    OS Version: MacOS 12.0.1

• Jolin Warren
    Jolin Warren
    Community Member
    Options

A quick follow-up… It seems that this is a 1Password issue (even if 1Password might not be the only app with it). After further experimentation I found that I can easily assign the ⌘\ shortcut in the System Preferences Keyboard pane and in the preferences for Pastebot:

So it's something specific in 1Password (on MacOS 12?) that's triggering the warning and preventing setting the ⌘\ shortcut.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2021
    Options

Hi @Jolin Warren!

Our developers recently looked at this too, and it seems like something in Monterey is preventing this from working. I am not sure why Pastebot would behave differently, but you can see what our developers wrote about this here.

• Jolin Warren
    Jolin Warren
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_ana, thanks for replying to me. I'm not sure why I didn't find that thread when searching for this issue 🤦. It's not just Pastebot that can assign ⌘\, as I said you can also assign it in the Keyboard System Preferences:

Both there and with Pastebot, it's not just that I can assign it, but ⌘\ then works properly to perform the action. For further data points, I can also assign it to Itsycal to show/hide its menubar calendar:

And to pCalc's menubar widget:

So at least on my Mac, 1Password is the outlier. And it's clearly possible to use ⌘\ as a shortcut to activate 1Password, as this is one of the defaults on a clean install of 1Password (and I assume for people who are upgrading that already have it set).

Could you ask your developers to look at this again, especially given its widespread ability in other apps. Maybe even if they just make an exception and if someone tries to set ⌘\ as a shortcut, 1Password bypasses the code to check if a shortcut is in use. Given it's such a common shortcut for people to use to activate 1Password, and that's it's widely available to other apps and they system settings for use, I urge AgileBits to find a solution for this particular shortcut.

• Jolin Warren
    Jolin Warren
    Community Member
    Options

I didn't find this thread when initially investigating the ⌘\ issue, so I started a new one 🤦. To tie things together, I'm posting a link to my new thread here, as I've added further details. tldr is that several other apps and the System Preferences Keyboard pane all allow setting this shortcut, so there must be a solution. @rudy please, please, could the developers look at this again and find a way to allow ⌘\ once again!

Further details:

https://1password.community/discussion/comment/620799/#Comment_620799

• BesieDai
    BesieDai
    Community Member
    Options

This has also recently come up as an issue for me, but I started a new thread because I'm not on Monterey... it's affecting me on High Sierra and Big Sur alike.

• ericrabil
    ericrabil
    Community Member
    edited November 2021
    Options

This is happening for my 1Password installation too, and is significantly disrupting my workflow. I didn't experience this before Monterey, and it is isolated to 1Password. I am on an M1 and tried it on both 1Password stable and beta. Please have the developers check this again, it is a dealbreaker for my productivity.

• Jolin Warren
    Jolin Warren
    Community Member
    Options

@BesieDai, your issue sounds different (which must be why it's showing up on High Sierra & Big Sur) – it looks like you have two different 1Password extensions installed in Firefox and they are conflicting. So probably good that you have a separate thread, as hopefully someone can advise you on that issue (I use Safari, so can't help).

@ericrabil thanks for confirming it's an issue for you, too (and that other apps can use the ⌘\ shortcut). I'm sure this must affect a fair few people. 😢

• Ben
    Options

Hi folks,

I understand the frustration. The problem is that we're asking the system if there is a conflict, and being told yes there is, despite the fact that all other indicators would say there isn't. That is an issue that would need to be resolved at that level, I'm afraid. We've filed the appropriate feedback, but beyond that this doesn't appear to be something the 1Password team can resolve directly.

Ben

• Ben
    Ben
    edited November 2021
    Options

As a small update, there is a workaround available:

1. If 1Password is running, right-click the 1Password icon at the top right of your macOS menu bar, and choose Quit 1Password Completely.
    2. Open Finder and go to: ~/Library/Containers/com.agilebits.onepassword7/Data/Library
    3. Locate Preferences and move it to Trash.
    4. Go to: ~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library
    5. Locate Preferences and move it to Trash.
    6. Open Terminal and run the following command: killall cfprefsd
    7. Open and unlock 1Password, and confirm that your default keyboard shortcuts are in place.

Note that the steps do completely reset 1Password's preferences, so you'd need to re-set any customizations, including auto-lock and biometry/Apple Watch preferences. I hope that helps until a better solution can be found.

Ben

• branok
    branok
    Community Member
    Options

No, it didn't help ... :(

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sorry to hear that @branok :( Hopefully we will hear back from the feedback we have filed to Apple, so we can look into this again in the future.

• zjrollyson
    zjrollyson
    Community Member
    Options

This worked for me for the main app. Firefox seems to swallow the shortcut whenever it's in focus though, can't set in the extension, which is pretty annoying.

This discussion has been closed.