Autofill menu still showing despite disabling

Options
wraith
wraith
Community Member
edited July 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

I have the new beta versions, and have disabled "show autofill menu on field focus", yet the icon and menu is still showing.

Is the setting not working correctly, or does it mean something else? Either way, how can I disable 1Password from showing up on the web page fields? (I want to fill with CTRL+\ and only with that)

1Password Version: 8.1.2-62BETA
Extension Version: 2.0.5
OS Version: Win10 21H1

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @wraith 👋

That setting will prevent the 1Password inline menu from appearing as soon as you click inside a field. Instead, you'll have to click the 1Password icon inside the field to open the inline menu. If you want to disable the inline menu completely, you can disable "Offer to fill and save passwords."

I hope that helps, but let me know if you have any other questions!

• wraith
    wraith
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, so that's what I want, but the setting does not work in the current v2.0.5 beta.

• wraith
    wraith
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @kaitlyn, I misinterpreted what you said.

So if I disable "offer to fill and save passwords" does it still ask me to save a password when I manually type into a new website and click submit (like the old extension behaviour)?

• @wraith

That's correct, you will no longer see the prompt to Save in 1Password with the feature disabled. If you wish to save a Login you will then have to do so manually. I've linked a handy guide for you here with steps to achieve this: https://support.1password.com/save-login-manually/

Let me know how that works for you.

• wraith
    wraith
    Community Member
    Options

That seems like an unfortunate regression (having to deal with the page alteration/prompts like Lastpass always forced on people).

I realise this is a beta, how can we tell when things are a planned design decision (that I should explain why I think it's a bad idea or at least needs more options) versus just not having everything implemented yet (in which case it'll be rather annoying for you to have lots of complaints about XYZ feature when it was always coming but just not ready yet)

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @wraith ,

Firstly, there's no need to use the beta, this extension currently exist in a stable version that you can get from here: https://support.1password.com/getting-started-browser/

The stable version is identical to the beta at the moment.

1Password in the browser works a bit differently than the old 1Password Classic extension - it does not launch windows and prompts on its own when you log into a new website. Instead, it shows the inline menu (the little menu that shows up inside/under the field) and suggest relevant actions such as autofilling, saving new logins and generating new passwords. If you disable that inline menu, you will significantly reduce the usability and your overall experience.

I strongly recommend you give the extension another go without disabling the autofill features in the extension's settings and see how things work for a couple of days. If you still don't like it, you can indeed turn off the "Show autofill menu on field focus" option, which will prevent the inline menu from showing up automatically, but you will still have the little 1Password icon on the right side of the field so that you can call the inline menu when needed (and autofill/save new logins).

I hope that clarifies the intentions and operations of 1Password in the browser. I know it might be a steep change from 1Password classic, especially if you have been using it for years, but I can assure you that it is a matter of days to get used to the new inline menu and once you do - you won't be able to look back :)

If you're still unhappy with it, you can install 1Password classic instead: https://support.1password.com/cs/1password-classic-extension/
    But I hope you do give 1Password in the browser a proper try before reverting back :)

• wraith
    wraith
    Community Member
    edited August 2021
    Options

I was referred to the beta release in the post about the 1Password 8 Beta (the v8 beta is the whole reason I'm looking at the new extension).

I dislike having the icon showing up in the field at all (and I definitely don't want the suggestions showing when I haven't pressed CTRL+\ ). It's a usability issue, every login page is different and I don't want to find the random location of the login fields... I want the same CTRL+\ keyboard shortcut that does the auto-fill and/or prompts me in the same visual location that the extension always does). I use a lot of passwords for my work and the prompts need to stay in the same visual location. I used Lastpass for over 6 months at my work (that's what they used) and I never came to like the prompting within fields (and the impact it has on the flow of being able to quickly log in) and it's one of the primary reasons I installed my personal 1Password on my work laptop so I could keep using the better approach. I tried 1PasswordX a year or two ago and went back to Classic for the same reason.

I've tried installing the 1Password classic extension again, and unfortunately it doesn't work with the new v8 1Password beta... so I guess it's back to 1Password v7 for me.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for clarifying @wraith !

In that case, you can indeed disable the inline menu and the suggestions altorgether, then use the extension's shortcut, which is CTRL+SHIFT+X on Chromium based browsers (Chrome, Edge, Brave...) or CTRL+Period in Firefox.

The usage would be quite similar to the classic extension that way, I hope you'll find it more to your liking.

You can also adjust the extension's shortcut in its settings page, feel free to experiment with other shortcuts that you might like better. Keep in mind that browsers are quite restrictive when it comes to shortcuts, so it might take a few tries to find one that is available, works and that you like it.

• wraith
    wraith
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_yaron

I've been using CTRL+\ for about a decade now, and while some of my preference for that is just muscle memory, some of it is because it's physically easier to type when doing it so many times per day (but because it requires both hands at once on uncommon keys it's not something you'd normally do accidentally).

I've tried to set CTRL+\ without success in my new testing (unsure if that's an extension issue or a Beta8 issue) and I can only get CTRL+SHIFT (+ something) which is manageable but rather annoying. (I dislike CTRL+SHIFT+X because it's one handed and all scrunched in one spot and I find it harder to quickly touchtype).

CTRL+. sounds like the closest to what I'd want so I'll try it in Firefox (although a fullstop is a more common key that might happen accidentally sometimes when typing quickly).

Re using the extension with inline menu disabled, does it still save passwords automatically or do I need to do it manually? (This is less an issue for my work scenario and more one for my home PC where my wife shares much of the set-up and sometimes just uses my profile).

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2021
    Options

Thank you for the feedback and input here, much appreciated @wraith .

CTRL+\ is not something the browser will accept due to its limitations when it comes to shortcuts. We wish we had more say in this, but we don't unfortunately. The CTRL+\ that works with 1Password Classic comes from the desktop app and not the browser itself.

If you'd like something more similar to CTRL+Period in Chrome/Edge, I'd suggest ALT+Period which should work great.

As for saving new logins, 1Password in the browser will not show the save prompt on its own after you log into a new website. You can either use the inline menu to save (if it is enabled), or you can click the little 1Password icon on the right corner of the username/password field to trigger the inline menu manually but that would require you to keep the "Offer to fill and save passwords" option, which I understand you'd rather not do as well because you don't want that icon showing up in fields either.

If you disable both of these options in the settings, the only way to save new logins would be to right click the extension's icon on the top right corner of the browser and select "Save Login" after you input a username/password into a login or registration page.

I think a great compromise would be to turn off the "Show autofill menu on field focus" so that the inline menu will never show up on its own and obstruct your view, but keep the "Offer to fill and save passwords" enabled so that the 1Password icon will still be present in the relevant fields, which will allow you and your wife to easily call 1Password when needed only, and use it to autofill/save passwords.

Either way, I hope you'll find a workflow that suits your needs best. :)

• wraith
    wraith
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @ag_yaron,

I'll give these alternative shortcuts a go and see if I can live with the in-field icon but "out-of-field popup". It's also worth pointing out that while for my frequent use case I find the consistent location of the extension "pop-up" really important, I've also got my parents onto 1Password and for their less frequent usage I think the in-field filling and auto-suggestion is really great... I just want the option for it to behave like it used to too :)

Cheers

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the update!

And I’m glad you find the inline menu suggestions helpful for your folks. It definitely simplifies things.

I hope you’ll find a convenient and efficient workflow for yourself as well :)

This discussion has been closed.