1Password 8 for Windows and local vault (Dropbox Sync)

Options

Hello,

New 1Password 8 for Windows - looks great. I have only one question. Do you plan to support the integration with a local vault that is under Dropbox sync? The current application for Windows is fairly simple, I did not find the function to add the vault from a local file. I'm using Dropbox Sync for macOS and iOS apps and an older version of 1Password 7 for Windows.

Thanks,
Nicolas

1Password Version: 8.1.2-82.BETA
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro N

Comments

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @NicolasSiver !

Local vaults are not supported anymore in v8. Read here for more information about this:
    https://1password.community/discussion/121638/what-is-the-future-of-local-standalone-vaults/p1

• NicolasSiver
    NicolasSiver
    Community Member
    Options

Hello DenalB,

Thank you for the URL.

After reading the response, it's quite clear. Well. I really liked the mix of strong UX from 1Password and allowing me to store my data where I want it.

Regards,
    Nicolas

• Hi @NicolasSiver - thank you for this (and thank you @DenalB for the answer!).

We do hope to continue giving you a strong experience with 1Password, and 1Password 8 does bring some changes. The new app is built around
    the architecture of 1Password.com, and there are many virtues to that.

However, we're also gauging interest around self-hosting solutions. We'd love to hear about how you might prefer to do that and what the upsides would be for you. If you'd like to send us some feedback, here's the survey!

https://survey.1password.com/self-host/

• kevinlee
    kevinlee
    Community Member
    Options

If dropbox sync is no longer possible, could you at least provide a way to set up a different password from the password for account sign-in to unlock the app? I don't want to use the same password for unlocking the app and signing in the 1Password website. It doesn't seem secure.

• Hey @kevinlee:

Your 1Password account password is never transmitted anywhere in plaintext, whether using a 1Password app, or my.1Password.com. For details on how this works, see here: How Secure Remote Password protects your 1Password account

Jack

• itsnagaraj
    itsnagaraj
    Community Member
    Options

Not having standalone vault and not being able to use storage of my choice will be strong reason to unsubscribe after 4 years of using 1password paid subscription. Having to store everything in one place feels less secure.

• azonin
    azonin
    Community Member
    Options

1password tried it in the past, and received a pushback from the userbase. Now it's clear some idiot in the marketing deparment is trying it again. Let me say it again - if there's no support for a local vault, I'm going to say goodbye to you!

• NamelessOne
    NamelessOne
    Community Member
    Options

Need a standalone vault as a possible option, at least! There's never too much when we're talking security, right? So please, give me the option to use alternative storage of my choice! I will be still paying for the subcsription, so what's the difference.

• We don't have any plans to have 1Password 8 support older standalone vaults. 1Password.com memberships are the future of 1Password and you can read some of our founder Dave's thoughts here: The future of local/standalone vaults — 1Password Support Community

We are looking for feedback on a self-hosted version of 1Password for folks who'd like to host the 1Password service on their own server. If that's something that would be useful for you then please fill out our self-hosted survey: Self-hosted 1Password kick-starter

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.