Copy Password doesn't work

Hi Team,
when I click in the Early Access version on Copy Password it doesn't work, even if it shows that it copied the password.
I need to enter the Edit Mode and Copy the Password with the Control+C.

1Password Version: 8.1.2-82.BETA
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 Build 19043.1110

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @KevM92!

I have just tested it and I was able to copy the password and paste it here.

For confirmation, is this the Copy button you are referring to?

• amaechler
    amaechler
    Community Member

Maybe somewhat related (1Password for Windows 8.2.0-56.BETA), I also noticed the copy functionalities of the following items not working:

• Account Dropdown -> Setup Another Account
    • Both the Copy of the Secret Key (maybe others) and the Copy Link for the sign in link do not work.
  • XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

For me copy also does not work on Windows.

It does work on macOS.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    edited August 2021

For me copy also does not work on Windows.

I'm on 1Password for Windows 8.2.0-56.BETA and have no problems with copying passwords or my secret key. I'm able to paste it e.g. into the notepad.

EDIT: On 1Password for Windows 8.2.0-61.NIGHTLY copying works also without any problems.

• Hi, folks. It looks like we've seen a report before of the copy functionality intermittently not working on Windows, but we haven't been able to track it down. For those of you who have seen it not working, does it always not work or does it work sometimes?

ref: dev/core/core#8718

• MerryBit
    MerryBit
    Community Member

I've definitely been affected by this, but not only on 1P8, but also 1P7 for Windows. I just tried copying different passwords in 1P8, and everything worked without a hitch, so it's absolutely intermittent.

• scrypt
    scrypt
    Community Member

@rob copy never works for me in the desktop app, but it works in the browser extension

• daanleenders
    daanleenders
    Community Member

I can have it working for quite a bit but then also have hours (or even days sometimes) that it won't work When it doesn't work I am able to past in the search field in 1password itself but never inside another app (browser, notepad, etc.). Haven't find how to trigger it though.

Had it on earlier versions but just updated to 1Password for Windows 8.2.0-56.BETA and still experience it.

• When it doesn't work I am able to past in the search field in 1password itself but never inside another app (browser, notepad, etc.)

Oh that's very interesting. I've passed on that note. Does anyone else here see this behavior when it's not working?

• Cafeine
    Cafeine
    Community Member

I can confirm it's NOT ALWAYS working. And I have the same problem on the latest beta / or nightly v8 on both mac & Windows. It's driving me mad tbh, I use it a lot for work in VM or login in games.

It can work at boot or for some times, then nothing (you paste whatever was in your clipboard but not the "copied" item). Sometimes it will work again, but I couldn't track if I did something that helped. I'll check if I can past in the 1p search field.

Changing "the clear password after xx time" setting didn't change a thing. I hope you crush this one soon because it's DAMN annoying...

• Cafeine
    Cafeine
    Community Member

@rob I can confirm that it works INSIDE 1P but not outside. I can C/C in the 1P search field but not pasting anywhere else. And the clipboard don't show it.

• Thanks for this, @Cafeine. We will try to see if we can track this one down and figure out what it's about. The details do help!

• Cafeine
    Cafeine
    Community Member

Thanks and good luck! I hope you'll find that bug asap, because it's ANNOYING gnnnn. (and just to be clear, it's happening on macOS AND Windows.)

• Thanks @Cafeine. I've added a note to the issue indicating it is happening on both platforms for you.

Ben

• xeyr
    xeyr
    Community Member
    edited September 2021

I'm seeing intermittent clipboard issues in Windows as well. I've seen some cases where I copy from 1P and it does not paste into Firefox (previous contents of clipboard are pasted), but if I go to notepad, it will paste the copied info from 1P (without hitting copy again) - so it seems like it's going somewhere, but not universal.

80202032, on NIGHTLY channel

• Thanks for this @xeyr, I've added this intriguing detail to our discussion around the issue. Thank you for the keen observation!

• BSi
    BSi
    Community Member

I've experienced the similar behavior under Windows in the last weeks, and even when using the most recent nightly build. Sometimes (unfortunately there is no easily identifiable pattern) when copying passwords from 1PW, it could not copy to some apps, but only to select ones. For example it's usual to me that sometimes passwords could not be copied to Remote Desktop Client, Remote Desktop Manager app, or even to Word, however it's always possible to copy it to Notebook. After copying to Notebook, and then copying it from Notebook, it finds it way to the correct place of the clipboard and it's possible to copy to Word/RDP/etc.

• binaryoverload
    binaryoverload
    Community Member

I believe this issue is due to the way the 1Password Beta app copies the password into the clipboard.

Using NirSoft's InsideClipboard, I can see that 1Password only sets the CF_UNICODETEXT value but doesn't replace any previous values on the clipboard such a CF_TEXT and any images which are on the clipboard.

I believe the solution would be to ensure the app replaces the entirety of the clipboard as well as setting the CF_TEXT value with the thing copied, not just CF_UNICODETEXT

I noticed the issue because I can paste things into Notepad and search bars just fine, it's just when I have anything previous on the clipboard and paste into an app that can read those previous rich values, it doesn't read the text the 1Password app put in the clipboard.

• Thanks for the additional notes, folks. I've added these details to the issue referenced above. Hopefully we can track this one down quickly (thanks for the pointer @binaryoverload!).

Ben

• Ashokleyland
    Ashokleyland
    Community Member

Hello,

just noticed a weird behavior : copy is not working when your copy-paste from 1pw8 to browser but work if you paste in a text editor.
    After launching notepad and paste in it, copy is working in any browser (which was not the case before launching and paste in notepad).

Thanks

• SixFive7
    SixFive7
    Community Member

I can confirm the behavior described by @binaryoverload. 1Password is not writing to all clipboard streams resulting in pastes intertwined with previous values depending on the value type supported by the receiving app.

• Thanks for this, @Ashokleyland and @SixFive7. We're definitely pursuing this issue and appreciate you sharing what you've noticed about this on your device. Many thanks!

• Cafeine
    Cafeine
    Community Member

I can't wait for you to fix this... Most annoying bug since I bought 1P more than 10y ago

• lumin8
    lumin8
    Community Member
    edited October 2021

Any updates @PeterG_1P @Ben @ag_ana

This is a critical issue, 1PW8 is a complete downgrade from 1PW7 if I literally can't copy and paste my passwords into programs... I can reproduce this issue on all 4 of my Windows Machines, and it is indeed exactly as @binaryoverload stated. This issue has been recurring since the release of 1PW8. How in the world is this still a bug? ESPECIALLY considering a user here has stated exactly how this can be fixed...

Here's an extremely easy way to reproduce this for you guys:
    Open up Firefox, go back to this comment on Firefox here
    Copy this word right here >>> Example
    Open up Wordpad
    Paste "Example" into Wordpad. Expected behavior right?
    Now click into 1PW8 and click on any username/password to paste
    Now try pasting that into Wordpad. Example is now pasted instead of the username/password.

Seriously, this bug is ridiculous.

• Hey @Cafeine

You mentioned you were seeing this on macOS. Is that still the case? If so can you please give us an example of an application this is happening with? We've been unable to reproduce the problem on macOS internally.

Ben

• @lumin8

It appears we're close. I'm sorry it has taken so long to track down. ☹️

Ben

• Cafeine
    Cafeine
    Community Member

@Ben Yes, but it was so annoying + slow safari ext, that I went back to v7 quite fast! The bug was manifesting itself in the same way. :(

• I understand. Thanks @Cafeine. If anyone comes up with a way to reproduce this issue on macOS please let us know. We're currently testing fixes for Windows but we'd like to fix it on macOS too if it is still happening there.

Ben

• A field copy bug was fixed in the latest beta version of 1Password 8 for Windows. Are you able to update and see if you still have this issue? Thanks!

• lumin8
    lumin8
    Community Member

It seems its a lot more reliable now. I will report back here if I see any paste failures.

This discussion has been closed.