Unable to add account using Windows app

Options
CVZ
CVZ
Community Member
edited August 2021 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hi, I use Yubikey for 2FA to access my 1Password.com app. I uninstalled the 1Password Windows app (through (for reasons I don't think are relevant to the problem) and now I want to reinstall and add my account. I have my 1Password account open in 1Password.com (https://my.1password.com/apps). I have downloaded and installed the 1Password Windows app, opened it to 'Add your 1Password account' and scanned the QR code on the my.1password.com/apps page. This completes all fields except the Master Password field. To ensure that I am not mistyping the password I had typed it into Notepad and then used it to log in to 1Password.com and, now, also into the Master Password field. After I click 'Sign in' I am presented with a Two-Factor Authentication dialogue and am asked to 'Enter the six-digit authentication code from your authenticator app.' As I am using my Yubikey I touch the key, the dialogue disappears but, back in 'Add your 1Password account, I receive the failure message 'Your sign-in address, email address, Secret Key, or Master Password is incorrect. But I know they are all correct. So I suspect the problem lies with the Yubikey. Can you help me please?
Thanks,
Chris

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @CVZ!

Can you let us know what version of the 1Password app you currently have installed, and on what operating system version? Thank you!

• CVZ
    CVZ
    Community Member
    Options

Hi ag_ana, thanks very much for getting back to me. It seems that I needed to use the OTP from the Google 2FA Authenticator App. When I did, it worked.

Is it the case that the Yubikey is not supposed to work in this situation?
    Also, is there any way to NOT use the 2FA app and ONLY use the Yubikey?

I would feel more comfortable knowing that access to my account is only possible with the physical Yubikey.

In answer to your questions: the app version is 7.7.810 and I am running on Windows 10 Home Version 21H1, Build # 19043.1151

Thanks again for getting back to me.

Best regards,
    Chris

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

@CVZ The desktop apps don't yet support hardware security keys, so you are required to set-up an authenticator app before adding security keys.
    The main advantage of a security key over an authenticator app is that it protects you from real-time "man in the middle" phishing attacks. As long as you use the YubiKey wherever it is available you will get the full protection.
    The risk is that an attacker might trick you into using an authenticator app when using a security key is an option. If this concerns you then, after setting-up your desktop apps, you can save/print the 2FA manual entry secret and/or QR code and delete the 2FA token from your authenticator app.

• CVZ
    CVZ
    Community Member
    Options

Hi rootzero - makes sense. Thanks for the advice.

• @CVZ glad to see the knowledgeable @rootzero has provided some advice here, and it sounds like things are now working with your setup. If you have any issues going forward, let us know and we'll jump in to help!

This discussion has been closed.