Updater doesn't understand symlinks

Options
Zev Eisenberg
Zev Eisenberg
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Hi all! This is a bit of an edge case, but I thought I'd mention it. I've installed the macOS Monterey beta on an APFS volume so I can test stuff. I symlinked 1Password into /Applications on my Monterey partition, so that I would only actually have one copy on disk, and when I update one, they both update. This has been working fine, except the 1Password updater doesn't realize they're the same app, so it complains that I have multiple copies. This is a laudable feature in general, but in this case it's not actually helpful, because I really do only have one copy.

I'm seeing the issue on Big Sur. It doesn't really matter whether it happens on Monterey, since presumably this would happen if I symlinked it to some random external drive or other location. It's about symlinks, not about Monterey.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.8.7.BETA-2 (70807002)
Extension Version: 7.8.7.BETA-2
OS Version: macOS 11.5.1 (20G80)

Comments

• Hi Zev,

That is an interesting scenario. I'm a little bit surprised 1Password even works when symlinked into /Applications since the system performs a lot of code sign validation -- especially when using the safari app extension.

The duplicate installs identified in that updater screen are determined by querying the Launch Services database -- so the system really thinks there are two copies.

• Zev Eisenberg
    Zev Eisenberg
    Community Member
    Options

Ah yeah, the launch services thing makes sense. You'd probably need extra permissions to actually follow the symlink and see for yourself. Maybe worth a radar to launch services, but realistically it will never get fixed.

• rudy
    Options

@Zev Eisenberg,

definite yup on the launch services "realistically" conclusion there. I sent you a message on slack with more details. :\

This discussion has been closed.