Sluggish performance

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: 1PW8 for macOS.

Comments

• yphoenix
    yphoenix
    Community Member
    Options

Tried the new Beta, no local vault access or sync by DropBox, but I knew that was coming.
    App feels very sluggish at first, oh, it's an Electron app, explains a bunch. From a multi-platform perspective I can see why, but sad to see it go in this - memory hog - direction when the native swift version was so slick and snappy. I assume only the back-end is written in Rust.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @yphoenix

I've currently got 4 accounts added and have a few thousand items. I'm sitting at 90.5 MB of memory usage on a base model M1 Mac Mini. Could you please let us know a bit more about your setup and where you're seeing this sluggishness? We're absolutely committed to making 1Password 8 a performant app.

Thanks.

Ben

• sriggins
    sriggins
    Community Member
    Options

46 threads. Forty. Six. My safari has six pages open and is using 16 threads.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @sriggins

I asked our development team about the number of threads. Here is the answer I received:

We use the Tokio runtime, which spawns threads as it needs for managing tasks (this is where the bulk of them are coming from). However, threads are parked and idle when they aren't handling some task so its not like they are constantly eating CPU. Its also very cheap to spawn a thread (it takes microseconds) compared to what the app is doing otherwise. They aren't very expensive and do nothing most of the time.

Ben

• sriggins
    sriggins
    Community Member
    Options

Yea I know this is the base of Electron apps. 1Password 7 spawns 5. But we can just keep using resources because hey they are cheap. Resources are not unlimited however, and now you join the ranks of other Electron apps all spawning their own set of cheap resources because every app is bloated web browser now.

• yphoenix
    yphoenix
    Community Member
    Options

If you include everything 1P8 it comes in around 256MB which is quite good for an Electron App TBH. Definitely doesn't feel as snappy as 1P7 but that is no surprise it's running in JS which is never going to beat Swift for snappiness. It isn't too bad, but it isn't an approvement over 1P7 either and obviously has features missing that I assume will be added later, eg: editing the attributes of vaults.

• yphoenix
    yphoenix
    Community Member
    Options

Also please bring back Cmd-0 for all vaults, too many years of muscle memory to switch to cmd-1, but there isn't the exclude vault from all vaults option. I guess Collections is a fancier version of that.

Also, please please please stop resetting the category selection when you switch vaults, eg:
    I select "Credit Cards", don't see what I want
    Switch to a different vault selection as I think it is probably in there
    Forced to reselect my category, and repeat
    Yes, I know 1P7 does this too, it's very annoying.
    Sure if I hit cmd-0, reset everything, although preferably don't.
    Yes, I understand this is probably a support issue because people forget that they have a category filter but with 1P8 you solved that problem by putting the selection in purple so it is more obvious.
    So how about a cmd-opt-0 to reset all categories

And yes, I know I can override the shortcuts using system preferences if I must.

OK: Quick Access is nice, although I use Alfred for that with 1P7 :-)

• rob
    Options

Yea I know this is the base of Electron apps. 1Password 7 spawns 5.

@sriggins apologies for the confusion. The Tokio library Ben mentioned is a Rust library and has nothing to do with Electron. And "cheap" in this context isn't referring to memory or available resources but was a comparison with the rest of the app's processing and memory usage. Basically, the number of threads is mostly meaningless and is a side effect of the way the Rust library works but doesn't directly correlate with memory or energy usage.

If you include everything 1P8 it comes in around 256MB which is quite good for an Electron App TBH.

Hey, @yphoenix. We've been looking into some memory leaks this week, so hopefully that number will keep dropping.

has features missing that I assume will be added later, eg: editing the attributes of vaults.

Yep, that's on our list. 👍

Also please bring back Cmd-0 for all vaults, too many years of muscle memory to switch to cmd-1

I'll take this back to the team. Cmd-0 for resetting zoom is consistent with other Mac apps like Numbers and Safari, but I noticed that Messages uses Cmd-Opt-0, so it seems like there's not really a standard. 🤷‍♂️

there isn't the exclude vault from all vaults option. I guess Collections is a fancier version of that.

Yep! Collections allow you to have multiple groups of vaults like this, which is pretty helpful when you actually want to search all of your vaults for something. It was confusing before when All Vaults didn't necessarily mean all vaults. 😬

Also, please please please stop resetting the category selection when you switch vaults

Yeah, you touched on the confusion there with remembering too much as the user browses around. We're hoping to solve this with better scoped search, though. Stay tuned and let us know what you think!

Quick Access is nice

Glad you like it! There's more to come there. 👍

This discussion has been closed.