A few dumb questions immediately after installing 1Password 8 on Mac

Options
mikebore
mikebore
Community Member
  1. Can I uninstall 1Password 7? if so what is preferred way?

2. I have now have three apps in my Application folder: "1Password 7", "1 Password" (which is 8) and "1Password for Safari" version 2.0.6. How do I use the last one?

3. I think the last one appeared after I used "Get 1Password for your browser" in 1P8 prefs. The install process led to small screen telling me to Open Safari Prefs and turn on the 1P for Safari extension, but there is no 1P for Safari extension there. It also said to turn off any old ones so I have unchecked the 1P 7.8.7 extension which was there.

4. Is there a way of showing item counts in the main window?

Thanks

1Password Version: 8.2.0-44BETA
Extension Version: 2.0.6
OS Version: MacOS 12

Comments

• mikebore
    mikebore
    Community Member
    Options

I see the answer to my first dumb question is in the top thread....I should have uninstalled 1P7 first.....does it matter that I have done it later. Is this related to why I am not seeing 1Password for Safari in Safari prefs? (only the 7.8.7 one)

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @mikebore 👋

Happy to help! I'll go ahead and respond to your questions in line so we keep things organized. :)

Can I uninstall 1Password 7? if so what is preferred way?

You can remove 1Password 7 by dragging the app from /Applications to the Trash. Be sure to empty your Trash after that. If you run into any issues, let me know and I'll walk you through it.

I have now have three apps in my Application folder: "1Password 7", "1 Password" (which is 8) and "1Password for Safari" version 2.0.6. How do I use the last one? I think the last one appeared after I used "Get 1Password for your browser" in 1P8 prefs. The install process led to small screen telling me to Open Safari Prefs and turn on the 1P for Safari extension, but there is no 1P for Safari extension there. It also said to turn off any old ones so I have unchecked the 1P 7.8.7 extension which was there.

1Password for Safari is our newest browser extension in Safari. You'll use it by enabling 1Password for Safari within Safari's Preferences. Here's what mine looks like, as an example –

If you still don't see 1Password for Safari listed in Safari's Preferences, try removing 1Password 7 first, then restart Safari and check again.

Is there a way of showing item counts in the main window?

As of now, there's not. I could see how that could help some folks out, though. Are you thinking of item counts being in the vault list, like here --

Let me know so I can pass along the feature request! Thank you for the valuable feedback – we really appreciate it. 🤗

• mikebore
    mikebore
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, all sorted now.

Yes I mean the item count as in 1Password 7, see attached,

Over many years of 1Password use I have got in the habit of glancing at the All Items number on each device as a quick check that everything is in sync....it hasn't aways been.

• gussic
    gussic
    Community Member
    Options

@mikebore @kaitlyn

I can see the item count also being very useful! Please bring it back.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mikebore – Totally, that makes perfect sense to me. I'll pass the feedback along. Thanks for sharing it with me. :)

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#843

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@gussic – Sorry, I didn't see your comment before I hit "post" on my last one! Thanks for chiming in with your feedback as well. It's much appreciated.

• gussic
    gussic
    Community Member
    Options

@Kaitlyn random question - how do you get the 1P8 EA to show 'Categories' like it did before - i.e. Logins, Credit Cards, Documents etc? These all used to be in the sidebar, and were very useful.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@gussic – Sure thing! You can access all of your categories by clicking "All Categories" in the screenshot below.

Let me know if you have any trouble. I'm glad to help. :)

• gussic
    gussic
    Community Member
    edited August 2021
    Options

@kaitlyn Thank you - I can see that :)

Is there a way to get it to display permanently on the sidebar? It isn't a great user experience to have scroll to the top and click a drop down list to then select the category you want, find the item, then go back up to a dropdown list select the next category and so on. It seems like a huge reversion in usability and number of clicks?

• mikebore
    mikebore
    Community Member
    edited August 2021
    Options

I agree with @gussic ...this is a retrograde step in usability, with no obvious benefit. The sidebar where the Categories used to appear is now a big empty space (on my setup) so not being used for anything else.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@gussic – You shouldn't need to scroll to the top to find "All Categories." It's fixed, so it should remain available to click no matter where you're at in your scrolling journey. I'll pass along your feedback regarding having the option to select categories directly in the sidebar, though, that way we can track how many folks miss it. I'd be happy with a keyboard shortcut, myself, which I can only hope is on the roadmap. :)

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#844

• gussic
    gussic
    Community Member
    Options

@kaitlyn - Thanks - but yes as you've noted having to click to select a drop down find the item then click in again etc - all needlessly inefficient. I'd prefer it being brought back into the sidebar, or the option at least so that people who like it that way can still use it.

Can I ask why this was taken away in thee first place? Surely I can't be the only person to see that this is not particularly user friendly?

• mikebore
    mikebore
    Community Member
    Options

@kaitlyn I agree with @gussic. It is not a big change but it is in the wrong direction. If it enables some worthwhile benefit in use cases not applicable to @gussic and me I will accept it.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the feedback, @gussic and @mikebore! It's been passed to the rest of the team here at 1Password. I don't know the reasoning behind the move to a new place, no. Perhaps someone from the development team can chime in, though.

• gussic
    gussic
    Community Member
    edited August 2021
    Options

Thanks @kaitlyn - it'd be great to get feedback from the dev team if they're around.

I have to say, the new App looks very pretty and feels fast when using it, but the switch to Electron has made it more resource hungry than the old 1P7 - I must admit there are a number of things (like this issue and the Electron issue) that have me gravely concerned for the future of 1P.

• Blake
    Options

@gussic

Our Lead Designer, Dan Peterson talks more in-depth about why we changed how categories work over here. It might be worth a read!

• gussic
    gussic
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Blake

I have to say the current iteration of how categories is implemented is completely untenable - a massive step back and actually makes it more confusing than before.

Why do you force those changes on people? Give us the choice to lay it out how we want and leave it at that.

If someone finds 1P7 difficult to learn as Dan indicates in his post then I am not sure you want them as a customer anyway.

• Ben
    Options

All,

On the point of item counts, we've now added them to the bottom of the item list. Hopefully this will help. This feature is available in the latest nightly build at present.

Ben

• mikebore
    mikebore
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben Thanks I am not on nightly builds so not seeing that yet.

Is it just for Logins or does it apply to whatever is selected in the top dropdown where "logins" is shown in your screenshot.?

Why is at the very bottom which would only be reached by much scrolling.

At the moment it seems a very poor replacement for the info shown in 1Password 7:

• Hi @mikebore:

The item count will apply to whatever the current view is showing. In Ben's example, that would be however many Login items are in the vault or account he's currently viewing. Additionally, it's at the bottom of the item list in the window, not in at the bottom of your list via sorting.

Jack

• mikebore
    mikebore
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @jack.platten That certainly sounds better. So no scrolling to see the item count number?

• That's correct! :smile:

• OAW
    OAW
    Community Member
    edited December 2021
    Options

@mikebore While something is better than nothing I agree with you that this is an underwhelming substitute to what existed in 1PW7. Like you I used the information in your screenshot above to verify that my 1PW items were synced across all my devices at a glance. I can do that again but now on the Mac there’s a lot more friction. Click. Scroll list. Select drop down entry. View item count at the bottom of the window. Wash, rinse, repeat.

There is a significant contingent of users clamoring for the return of Categories to the sidebar (at least as an option) and this is yet another reason why. And to my knowledge at least I haven’t come across anyone in this forum advocating for their removal … except AgileBits developers. It just seems like the focus is on Business customers who have more of a need for multiple vaults so displaying them so prominently in the sidebar makes sense for them. But for Individual or Families customers who likely have no need for a bunch of vaults this change is an undeniable downgrade in functionality. It takes longer and more clicks to browse (not search) to what we are looking for. And we can no longer quickly compare items counts across devices at a glance.

In 1PW7 there was a lot of back and forth over how the Suggestions feature should work in 1PW Mini. Fortunately AgileBits listened to the various camps and their use cases and implemented a preference that accommodated them all very nicely. I’m holding out hope that they will do the same with 1PW8 and provide a similar preference that will accommodate both the “vault-centric” and “categories-centric” camps in their entire customer base.

• Ben
    Options

I'm hoping we can implement a better system to tell if sync is up-to-date or if the connection to the server is interrupted. In any case, I don't believe the steps you've described would be necessary:

I can do that again but now on the Mac there’s a lot more friction. Click. Scroll list. Select drop down entry. View item count at the bottom of the window. Wash, rinse, repeat.

There is no clicking or scrolling required to view the item count. This is how the app looks when freshly unlocked, in the default state (I've censored my information):

It seems if the purpose is to, at a glance, see if the item count between one install and another match, this would be the number you'd want to reference.

I appreciate the perspective on the other points as well, and I know that has already been shared with the design team. I'm not certain if there will be any changes in that regard, but the feedback has been heard, and I'm sure it'll be discussed if it hasn't been already.

Ben

• OAW
    OAW
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben The "clicking and scrolling" I'm referring to is the new Categories drop down itself. Click to open the drop down. Scroll down the list. Click to make the selection. That's what we have to do to see Item Counts by Category. Whereas before they were all displayed very prominently in the sidebar at a glance because that's where Categories used to live. So I appreciate that the information is now available. This addition is an objectively good development! I'm just saying there is more friction to get to it because now we have to pull it up one at a time. At this point all my major issues with 1PW8 have been addressed except for an option to display Categories in the sidebar. And it's the best Electron app I've ever used and performance is undeniably good so that's no longer a big deal for me. But if an option for Categories in the sidebar isn't being seriously considered can we at least get a ** Show/Hide Sidebar** item in the View menu? I can't stress enough how if you don't switch vaults or use tags the sidebar in its current state is simply pointless. If we could just tuck it away we could save some space and it wouldn't be this constant reminder of lost functionality. Thanks for your reply and consideration. :)

• gussic
    gussic
    Community Member
    Options

I must say the removal of categories from the side bar is still a huge regression, even after having used 8 for3 months or so now - it causes so much friction.

I know everyone is different but I have no idea what planet your design team was on when they thought this was a good idea. The door down box is not as good.

• Hi @OAW:

We have a separate request for collapsing the sidebar, so I've added your input to that.

ref: dev/core/core#9799

Jack

• OAW
    OAW
    Community Member
    Options

@jack.platten and @Ben

Earlier Jack said this ....

"The item count will apply to whatever the current view is showing. In Ben's example, that would be however many Login items are in the vault or account he's currently viewing. Additionally, it's at the bottom of the item list in the window, not in at the bottom of your list via sorting."

It was certainly like that at first. The Item Count was at the bottom of the window and we didn't have to scroll down to the bottom of the list to see it. Then the Item Count suddenly disappeared and we were told it would return at some point in a future build. But now I see it was just moved and it does, in fact, display all the way down at the bottom of the list. The implementation of this feature has been made demonstrably worse for no apparent reason.

• mikebore
    mikebore
    Community Member
    Options

Agree....all the way down at the bottom is no good. The whole point was a simple quick eyeball check. I never saw the short-lived version where it was at the bottom of the visible window, without scrolling but that would be better. Even better would be Categories in the sidebar with numbers in each type visible all in one view.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited December 2021
    Options

Hi folks,

I have shared that feedback with the design team. They do have some further ideas on this subject, so we may see more changes coming. :+1:

Ben

ref: dev/content/design#2217

This discussion has been closed.