Quick Access (the artist formerly known as Mini)

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: How do collections work?.
Β«1

Comments

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    edited August 2021
    Options

Does the early access version not support onepassword://extension/search/? :cry:

(No 1Password Mini?)

I use that every day...

• @XIII 1Password mini is being rebuilt as Quick Access. You can open it by clicking on the 1Password icon in the menu bar and choosing Open Quick Access.

We also have global shortcuts for it you can use.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    edited August 2021
    Options

1Password mini is being rebuilt as Quick Access

The shortcut (β‡§βŒ˜Space) only works when 1Password is shown in the menu bar? (I use to hide it)

I'll try whether I can modify my Keyboard Maestro macro's to log in to some Apps using Quick Access instead of 1Password mini.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

(How) Can I disable the sound that's played when opening Quick Access?

• Ben
    Options

@XIII

The shortcut (β‡§βŒ˜Space) only works when 1Password is shown in the menu bar? (I use to hide it)

Correct; this is a known situation. Hopefully something we'll be able to address. 🀞

ref: dev/core/core#9256

(How) Can I disable the sound that's played when opening Quick Access?

I'm not hearing any sound when opening Quick Access?

Ben

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

I'm not hearing any sound when opening Quick Access?

I'm no longer getting it either... Huh?

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

When I clear the input field in Quick Access and I type different text I expect it to search for entries containing the new text, but nothing happens (original search hit remains shown as the result, both when clearing the field and when typing different text).

Also ⌘Alt-C does not seem to copy the OTP code to the pasteboard...

I need both to work when trying to replace my 1Password mini based Keyboard Maestro macros.

• Bikr
    Bikr
    Community Member
    edited August 2021
    Options

Is Quick Access supposed to be aware of the active web page?

The thing I loved about Mini (+ the legacy extension) is that I could always press Cmd + \ and Mini would open with login for the current website I was on.

Will Quick Access work this way if I update my browser extension?

I would test it but I'm not ready to commit to the early access version. Something about old dog, new tricks! πŸ˜†

• Ben
    Options

@XIII

Currently looking into that one for you. πŸ‘€

Ben

• Ben
    Options

@Bikr

Quick Access is not currently contextually aware. It doesn't have any sense of which app you're in or which page you're on. Those are things we'll be looking at improving. That said, you can get similar functionality in the 1Password in the Browser extension by activating it with its keyboard shortcut.

I would test it but I'm not ready to commit to the early access version. Something about old dog, new tricks!

No worries at all. We know it isn't going to be for everyone quite yet, but some folks like to live on the bleeding edge. πŸ˜„

Ben

• Ben
    Options

@XIII

When I clear the input field in Quick Access and I type different text I expect it to search for entries containing the new text, but nothing happens (original search hit remains shown as the result, both when clearing the field and when typing different text).

I haven't been able to reproduce this one. If I clear the search using the 'X,' or if I backspace and then type something else, I'm shown new results. Could you please walk me through the steps you're taking?

Also ⌘Alt-C does not seem to copy the OTP code to the pasteboard...

Hmm. On my system ⌘βŒ₯C is the shortcut I have for Alfred's clipboard manager, so I'll need to find some time where I can unset that to test further.

Ben

• Bikr
    Bikr
    Community Member
    edited August 2021
    Options

Thanks for the quick reply @Ben!

Those are things we'll be looking at improving. That said, you can get similar functionality in the 1Password in the Browser extension by activating it with its keyboard shortcut.

I may hold off for a while then. I've been avoiding the 1Password X extension as I like to keep things simple and I prefer always using the desktop app in mini version, for consistency.

Also, the 1Password X extension is limited by Chrome extension limitations. For example, you can't resize it taller than a certain height and if you use a secondary, low-DPI display, the extension will use low-DPI visuals so they look pretty bad even when the Chrome window is on a Retina display. πŸ˜”

• slprice
    slprice
    Community Member
    Options

Here are some of my complaints about Quick Access (on macOS):

• Quick Access seems to always search all vaults, regardless which collection is selected in the main app, and there is not an option to select the collection in Quick Access a la Mini.

• When Quick Access is invoked while in a full-screen app, it opens on the desktop, removing the app from view. Mini would float over full-screen apps, not interrupting my work.

• Logins pinned from Mini could show over full-screen apps, Quick Access opens passwords in the 1Password app and those windows cannot be moved over top of a full-screen app.

The second and third are particularly annoying when I am working on a remote computer that is in full-screen mode. Using 1Password on my local system to copy and paste credentials into the remote system (on which I cannot install 1Password) is more cumbersome with 1Password 8. Mini worked so much more smoothly, I did not even need to touch the mouse.

• slprice
    slprice
    Community Member
    Options

Add another to the list:

• Quick Access no longer does a substring search of the title. For example if the word "passport" is in the title, I could type just the 3 letters "ssp" that were unique to that entry and find it quickly. Now it takes the 5 characters "passp." Interestingly, "ssp" finds an entry with "ssp" in the URL instead, though it is bounded by nonword characters.
  • Thanks for the feedback, @slprice . I'm including these notes in our task list and we will be working on problems like these, and many others, in the coming weeks.

• aforty1
    aforty1
    Community Member
    edited August 2021
    Options

I absolutely need the old shortcut back (⌘ βŒ₯ ) to quickly access logins (by search or by application awareness) with arrow key navigation and Enter/Return for copying to clipboard. Please and thank you!

• ezbz2007
    ezbz2007
    Community Member
    Options

Testing out the new 1password 8.0 for Mac.

1. Is there a way to change the quick access shortcut?
    2. When I navigate to an item on quick access. When I use the shortcuts to copy username/passwo/etc. Nothing happens. I use the arrow keys to go down to it and hit enter to copy it into my clipboard.
  • XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    edited August 2021
    Options

The sound when opening Quick Access is back again...

Not sure what triggered it. Maybe closing the main App and then opening Quick Access again?

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    edited August 2021
    Options

I haven't been able to reproduce this one. If I clear the search using the 'X,' or if I backspace and then type something else, I'm shown new results. Could you please walk me through the steps you're taking?

1. Type a search string
    2. Select one of the results using the cursor keys
    3. Use the right arrow key (of your keyboard)

Apparently you need to use the left arrow key (of your keyboard) to get out of this mode, because searching does not work until you do?

• @XIII That's really odd about the sound, I'm also not hearing it (with the main window opened or closed). Which version of macOS are you running?

Looks like Travis answered you in another thread about the current state of Quick Access, but for anyone else reading along, Quick Access is very early days and will have a bunch of improvements coming its way in the near future (including to clearing search results) :)

• kcastill
    kcastill
    Community Member
    Options

That said, you can get similar functionality in the 1Password in the Browser extension by activating it with its keyboard shortcut.

What's its keyboard shortcut? I don't see anywhere to set that, what am I missing?

• ag_tommy
    edited August 2021
    Options

@kcastill

⌨️ 1Password keyboard shortcuts may be helpful.

• ingshtrom
    ingshtrom
    Community Member
    Options

As a side note for Quick Access, I would love to see these improvements:

• as mentioned before, we need to be able to customize the keyboard shortcuts
    • when I am in the quick access mode, if I want to exit or start over or something like that after I have entered the "more details" (right arrow) mode, I cannot without using my mouse to click out of it or doing one of the actions. I wish I could hit ESC to quickly move away from whatever dialog I am in
    • when I go to search again in the Quick Access dialog, it picks back up where I started, even in the details menu. Usually when I search again I want to try a new search or find something else, not copy the same thing over and over again. I should at least be taken back to the original screen (prior to going into the details menu) and have the previous search term highlighted so that I can quickly overwrite it, or re-copy that same item again, if I really need to.

Congrats on the release, I look forward to seeing where 1Password goes, but back to 7 for me for now. πŸ˜…

• ezbz2007
    ezbz2007
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you

• Ben
    Options

Hey @ingshtrom

Thanks for chiming in, and for trying out the Early Access.

as mentioned before, we need to be able to customize the keyboard shortcuts

Andrew is working on this today:

https://1password.community/discussion/comment/607155/#Comment_607155

when I am in the quick access mode, if I want to exit or start over or something like that after I have entered the "more details" (right arrow) mode, I cannot without using my mouse to click out of it or doing one of the actions. I wish I could hit ESC to quickly move away from whatever dialog I am in

Yeah, good catch. We should definitely see about making ESC functional here. We have an issue filed for this. Hopefully someone will be able to pick up the torch soon.

ref: dev/core/core#9244

when I go to search again in the Quick Access dialog, it picks back up where I started, even in the details menu. Usually when I search again I want to try a new search or find something else, not copy the same thing over and over again. I should at least be taken back to the original screen (prior to going into the details menu) and have the previous search term highlighted so that I can quickly overwrite it, or re-copy that same item again, if I really need to.

I made this point myself as well, as your expectation matches mine. We'll have to see where this one lands. At a minimum it should be made easy to get back to a 'clean' state.

Ben

• klanchman
    klanchman
    Community Member
    Options

A couple of issues I've come across with Quick Access:

• Sometimes opening Quick Access via the keyboard shortcut when 1Password is locked takes a long time. It can take ~5 seconds for the 1Password window to show up (if closed) or move to the foreground (if already open). If anything, it seems more consistently slow if the window is already open.

• This only happens when locked. When unlocked, it's as quick as I'd expect it to be.
    • With the main 1Password window open in the background and unlocked, if you open Quick Access and then press ESC, the 1Password window moves to the foreground. I'd expect that whatever app I had in the foreground should remain in the foreground.

• sullimander
    sullimander
    Community Member
    edited August 2021
    Options

One additional piece of feedback I have not seen here yet related to Quick Access. I would love if I could customize the default action (when you press enter). By default is shows details, I would prefer it if it copied the password, at least in my workflow, most of the time I need either the username or password not to view the details.

Another nice to have, would be to show the 2FA code and timer ring on the results list, maybe on the far right, for each entry.

• FelixSe
    FelixSe
    Community Member
    Options

Some feedback:

• Quick Access should be restricted to the collection I selected in the app. Or at least this should be an option to configure.
    • When I open it I'm presented with a list of random elements. I would prefer this to be empty on launch since I don't want to share where I'm registered at when I'm sharing my screen, especially with the missing collection filter.
  • cjheng
    cjheng
    Community Member
    Options
    • If 1Password is locked, I find that invoking quick access via shortcut causes the 1Password main window to display to unlock, then when unlocked quick access is shown while the 1Password main window remains open. It should close after unlocking like it appears to when opening a browser extension (Firefox) when locked.
    • When using multiple displays (two in my case):

• Quick access stays on a single display. It'd be good if there were options for this behavior like the option to open on the display with the current active app window or open on the display where the mouse cursor is.
      • If the 1Password main window is open and is on the same display as quick access, using the quick access shortcut shows quick access, then leaving quick access by pressing esc or the quick access shortcut again causes focus to change to the 1Password window (as reported by klanchman above). This is undesirable and focus should return to the previously active application.
      • If 1Password main window is on a different display from quick access, using the quick access shortcut causes both quick access and the 1Password main window to come to foreground with focus on the 1Password main window. Expected behavior would be for only quick access to display and have focus.
    • If focus in quick access leaves the textfield (e.g. open quick access and click somewhere other than the textfield in the quick access window) when quick access is opened again focus is not on the text field. Focus should probably always be set to the text field for a new search.

• Also, as requested by sullimander above, I second a request for the default action to not be viewing details. It should probably be customizable as I think open & fill, or fill if already open would be my preferred default behavior.
    • Currently quick access's more actions seems to only show options to copy username, password, and otp. In many logins I have multiple other custom password type fields that I expect to also show up under more actions.
  • XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    edited August 2021
    Options

@Ben Think I figured out why I sometimes hear a popping sound when opening Quick Access: it's another case of 1Password 8 sharing a keyboard shortcut combo with another App: ⌘ ⇧ Space is also used to (un)mute a Huddle in Slack.

This also explains why my microphone was sometimes (not) on mute when in a Huddle with some of my colleagues...

This discussion has been closed.