1Password 8 Electron app!

Options

Just thought I would give 1Password 8 for Mac a go as I'm a big fan of 1Password and have been using and recommending it for years but this release is highly disappointing.

You sell this as a new release as if that's something consumers will benefit from but clearly, the only benefit here is your development team. 1Password 8 is an Electron web app, the native app is no more, now we'll get the "lowest common denominator" web-like experience. Clearly this simplifies how you develop cross-platform but it's hardly a benefit to users who will now get a laggy and memory hogging experience.

This is highly disappointing as I really hate the way native apps are being replaced by poor relative Electron web apps.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @camsoft!

Thank you for the feedback! Please see this post from my colleague Ben for some details on the choice :+1:

• jsnt
    jsnt
    Community Member
    Options

I've been extremely pleased with 1Pasword so far. One of the best apps and services I have. I trust it with my sensitive info and use it on multiple platforms and I'll give version 8 a try, but if the experience is degraded on the Mac I will not hesitate to cancel my family subscription and stop recommending 1Pasword to others. Just wanted to state it here so people in charge make the right decision if they happen to be exposed to what users are saying. I know about the software business and there is always people that resist change, but ultimately the best user experience prevails.

• Chris Peden
    Chris Peden
    Community Member
    Options

Electron is garbage. If I wanted to use the web I would use the web. If you get rid of native apps I will be leaving 1password.

• JGarry
    JGarry
    Community Member
    Options

The resource usage of the Electron version on my MacBook Pro 16 is too high. The fans ramp up almost as soon as I start the app continue until 1Password is completely closed. My workload is too sensitive to this high resource usage for me to continue using this Electron version.

I urge you to reconsider the decision to switch from SwiftUI to Electron for the macOS version.

• johnsamuel
    johnsamuel
    Community Member
    Options

I would also love to see a SwiftUI app or the continuation of 1Password7. Perhaps it is possible to run the iOS swift app on macOS?

One thing maybe: Can the menu-bar app (that I use 99% of the time) be made native so I don't have the memory hungry electron monster running on my system? I think - despite electron apps never feel good - that could make me stay with 1Password (though not happy).

This discussion has been closed.