Remap keyboard shortcuts [including Quick Access on Mac ⌘⇧Space; customization available in nightly]

Options

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hey @Chris Messina!

It looks like at least the initial work on customization of keyboard shortcuts was completed today, and so with any luck it'll be in a nightly build very soon. 🎉

Ben

• Chris Messina
    Chris Messina
    Community Member
    Options

Good to hear — eagerly awaiting! Thanks @Ben!

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    edited August 2021
    Options

In 1Password for Windows 8.2.2-9.NIGHTLY (and maybe Mac) you are able to change some keyboard shortcuts.

Maybe this helps with overwriting some specific shortcuts which are already used by other apps. ;)

• Ben
    Options

We had an issue building the nightly for Mac last night, so there isn't a 8.2.2-9.NIGHTLY for that platform unfortunately. We're investigating the issue and hope to have nightly builds back online soon. 🤞

Ben

• kennonb
    kennonb
    Community Member
    Options

I just got a nightly update with custom keyboard shortcuts for macOS. 🎉

FYI: You need to manually quit out of 1Password completely to make the change stick.

Feature request: It'd be great if I could completely remove the global "CMD+SHIFT+\" to show the 1Password window.

• Ben
    Options

FYI: You need to manually quit out of 1Password completely to make the change stick.

Good catch, @kennonb. I've filed a bug report for this.

Feature request: It'd be great if I could completely remove the global "CMD+SHIFT+\" to show the 1Password window.

I guess ideally it would be possible to completely unset any keyboard shortcut, such that the feature simply doesn't have one. I've filed a request for that. :+1:

Thank you!

Ben

ref: dev/core/core#9707

ref: dev/core/core#9706

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

I would love to be able to change every keyboard shortcut I like to change. 👍

• kennonb
    kennonb
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Ben! 👍🏻

• Ben
    Options

No problem, @kennonb. Thanks again for trying it out and reporting back. 🥰

@DenalB

I would love to be able to change every keyboard shortcut I like to change. 👍

I think we're open to adding more if there is a demand for specific ones we're not already offering. I'd like to hear any examples of ones you'd change.

Ben

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben
    I think of changing the shortcut for opening 1Password for Windows. ;)

• Ben
    Options

Good catch. That one also isn't listed in Help > Keyboard Shortcuts. 🤔 Will file an issue about it. :+1:

Ben

ref: dev/core/core#9708

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Ben! 🙏

• :+1:

• m_c
    m_c
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I noticed that since the last update Ctrl+Shift+Space opens Quick Access.

This is extremely annoying, since Ctrl+Shift+Space is the shortcut to insert a non-breaking space in Word.

Please use another keyboard combination, since I now have to shut down 1Password every time I need to work on a document.

1Password Version: 8.2.2-6.BETA
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Referrer: forum-search:ctrl

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    edited August 2021
    Options

Hi @m_c !

Since version 8.2.2-9.NIGHTLY of 1Password you are able to change the following 3 shortcuts to your needs.

This should fix your problem for now. ;)

• 1P_Claudio
    edited August 2021
    Options

@DenalB Thanks for the assist, you're awesome!

@m_c As Denal kindly mentioned you're now able to change your shortcut preferences with the latest release of 1Password 8. You can switch release channels by opening and unlocking 1Password 8, click the on the top left, then Settings -> Advanced. You'll see the option to change your release channel there.

Have 1Password update and restart, and the option to change your keyboard shortcuts will then be available. Once you've changed the shortcuts to your liking, be sure to restart 1Password to enable them.

Let me know how this goes! 1Password 8 is continually being developed so please let me know if you have any more feedback or issues which you'd like to bring to our attention. :)

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

Have the app update and restart, and the option to change your keyboard shortcuts will then be available.

But keep in mind that after changing the shortcuts, you have to end and restart 1Password to enable the new shortcuts. ;)

• @DenalB Cheers for that - edited! 8-)

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

:+1:

• DitchComfort
    DitchComfort
    Community Member
    Options

I would like a way to "reset" the shortcuts back to default also…?

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

Great idea! I just wanted to reset shortcuts, but couldn't remember exactly how they were set by default. A "reset-button" would be helpful! :)

• DitchComfort
    DitchComfort
    Community Member
    Options

;) I had the same problem, or I couldn't find the right key…

• @DitchComfort and @DenalB, the ability to "reset" keyboard shortcuts from within the app is not available, but a "reset-button" this is a great suggestion. I've passed this along to the development team for consideration. Thanks! :+1:

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#871

• m_c
    m_c
    Community Member
    Options

Many thanks, @DenalB and @1P_Claudio - switched channel to Nightly, and changed the shortcut as suggested - works like a charm!

I would suggest reconsidering setting Ctrl+Shift+Space as the default keyboard shortcut - obviously every use case is different, but I would think using Microsoft Word, including the non-breaking space, is quite a common use case among people working with documents and a default should work for most common use cases.

• Hi @m_c, I'm glad to hear you were able to get this shortcut changed and all is working great for you!

You are correct, every use case is different and I believe the ability to change this shortcut is a good compromise. As we are still in early access, things can change and we will certainly consider your suggestion. Thanks for your feedback!

• syllogism
    syllogism
    Community Member
    Options

See keyboard shortcut remapping has made it into the nightlies. Thank you! Can we have one for the global 'Open 1Password' shortcut too (⌘⇧)? It conflicts with several app defaults, including Safari's tab overview and Slack's react to last message.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks @syllogism. We have an issue open to consider that. :+1:

Ben

ref: dev/core/core#9708

• ChaseLeavitt
    ChaseLeavitt
    Community Member
    edited August 2021
    Options

Ctrl+Shift+Space is the Word shortcut to enter a nonbreaking space, which no longer works.

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided

• Ben
    Options

Hi @ChaseLeavitt

This is customizable in 1Password > Preferences > General on the latest nightly build:

https://1password.community/discussion/comment/610346/#Comment_610346

I hope that helps!

Ben

• ChaseLeavitt
    ChaseLeavitt
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the quick reply! Odd, this chain does not come up when I searched "remap" and "nonbreaking" and "non-breaking." Glad I am not the only one.

This discussion has been closed.