Remap keyboard shortcuts [including Quick Access on Mac ⌘⇧Space; customization available in nightly]

Options
blankspace
blankspace
Community Member

Shift + Cmd + Space is already a shortcut I use daily. The lack of ability to remap, let alone disable the new shortcut is very inconsiderate to other developers / user's workflows.

1Password Version: 8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Akovshovik
    Akovshovik
    Community Member
    edited August 2021
    Options

"Command + Shift + \" hotkey is what's often used in Slack - to open the emoji reactions dialog. I could find any way to disable it in 1Password 8 BETA preferences. This didn't used to be the case in 1Password 7.

1Password Version: 8.2.0-44.BETA
    OS Version: macOS 11.5.1

• neilio
    neilio
    Community Member
    Options

Hopefully editing these will come in a later build as I have a bunch of conflicts now as well (eg. I have shift+command+space assigned to Fantastical).

• Yeah, I feel we should go back to ⌘+\ or ⌘⌥+\

• coil_of_wire
    coil_of_wire
    Community Member
    Options

I don't really care what the defaults are, but ⌘+\ is used for something else on my system, so it feels important to be able to set a custom hotkey as you can in all previous versions.

• Hello @blankspace! 👋

Thank you for trying out the early access version of 1Password 8! I agree that the ability to customize shortcuts is important and our developers are working on this.

I've forwarded your comments internally. :)

ref: dev/core/core/#3374

• cmod
    cmod
    Community Member
    Options

Yes. Please allow for customization (or turning off!) of these shortcuts; they're conflicting with all sorts of things on my system. The beta preferences panel feels a bit anemic at the moment.

• bcrowl
    bcrowl
    Community Member
    edited August 2021
    Options

I love the new design and improvements to 1Password, but I wanted to provide some feedback that is important to me. The first and most important one is the keyboard shortcuts to Quick Access. I didn't notice any way to change them like before, and to make matters worse, the new default shortcut (Shift + CMD + Space) is less user-friendly. Secondly, I really don't like the new Quick Access; I much prefer that it shows you previews of your items (like you see when using the browser extensions). Thank you all for your hard work!

1Password Version: 8
    OS Version: macOS Big Sur

• danvpeterson
    edited August 2021
    Options

Thanks @bcrowl! Quick Access is one of the areas that is the "most new" here, and still has a lot of refinements coming so we particularly appreciate the feedback on this.

We definitely do plan to make the keyboard shortcut customizable, and even the default one is being debated a lot still. Shift+Cmd+Space was chosen because our user testing so far showed that people thought of this type of feature as being very similar to things like Spotlight, Alfred, Launchbar, Quicksilver, etc. and all of those tend to use a spacebar + modifier combination for activation. The spacebar is also one of the most easily tapped keys being right under thumbs for folks that use the "home row" technique. And when asking users "what would you expect the shortcut for this to be" (that did not already know the previous shortcuts) they most often said "something with the spacebar". The previous shortcut for mini (using \) had some issues on some non-english keyboards, and within some browsers for the extensions which caused us to rethink it. But we're still heavily considering changing this (and as I said, it'll definitely end up being customizable whatever the default is).

Regarding the two-pane vs single-pane view, and showing item previews by default ... that's a tough one. We've gone back and forth on this throughout 1Password's history and generally there seems to have been more frustration from folks with the two-pane view then when it's been single pane with just a list. The single pane view helps people feel less distracted when they just want to quickly go and fill (not yet in the new Quick Access). Or if they want to have the details stick around longer for reference. Or just quickly use a keyboard shortcut to copy a password. We're attempting to work toward making it super simple to view the details when you want them, but keep them out of the way to make the window smaller, and more focused. That being said, no decision is final and I really do appreciate the thoughtful feedback and kind words!

• h80923
    h80923
    Community Member
    Options

Please make those global shortcuts customizable! I already have global shortcuts assigned to Cmd-Shift-Space and Cmd-Shift-C.

• Ben
    Options

Hey @h80923

That is actively being worked on. My colleague Andrew posted about it earlier today:

We should see it soon. 🤞

Ben

• Blake
    Options

Yes. Please allow for customization (or turning off!) of these shortcuts; they're conflicting with all sorts of things on my system.

This is certainly something on our radar! We really do appreciate everyone chiming in and letting us know things aren't quite right. 😊

• sharpjs
    sharpjs
    Community Member
    Options

Ctrl + Shift + Space also conflicts with Visual Studio's (not VS Code) shortcut for "show me the overloads of the method I'm looking at", which is a pretty important one for Windows devs. I have had 1Password popping up all day and just figured out why.

• sharpjs
    sharpjs
    Community Member
    Options

Ctrl + Shift + Space also conflicts with Visual Studio's (not VS Code) shortcut for "show me the overloads of the method I'm looking at", which is a pretty important one for Windows devs. I have had 1Password popping up all day and just figured out why.

• Ben
    Options

Sorry about that @sharpjs. Customizable keyboard shortcuts are in the works.

Ben

• noktulo
    noktulo
    Community Member
    Options

Just curious — what was the rationale behind changing the default shortcut and making it not editable in the first place?

• krusnof
    krusnof
    Community Member
    Options

Another plus for changing. Please don't take other's apps major shortcuts—while removing your own original.

• SpaceSwift
    SpaceSwift
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for customizable shortcuts.

• neilco89
    neilco89
    Community Member
    Options

The 1P8 beta on MacOS has a keyboard shortcut to call up a pop-over search box. Sounds handy, but the keyboard shortcut is ⇧⌘SPACE. The default shortcut to take a screenshot of a part of the screen is ⇧⌘4, but if you want to screenshot a window or menu bar then it's ⇧⌘4SPACE. See here for more details https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201361

As soon as I type that extra SPACE to switch from capturing a portion of the screen to highlighting a whole window, the 1Password Quick Access window pops up and I can't take a screenshot. Can you please fix this?

1Password Version: 8.2.0-56.BETA
    Extension Version: 2.0.6
    OS Version: macOS 11.5.2

• Ben
    Options

Hi folks.

In an effort to keep most of the feedback on this subject in one spot I've merged a number of threads. Apologies for any resulting disjointedness in the conversations. Customizable keyboard shortcuts are coming. It will be possible to change the Quick Access (and other) shortcuts to something else so you can avoid conflicts with other software on your systems.

Thanks!

Ben

• chek
    chek
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, @Ben – Glad to hear customizable shortcuts are coming. Please keep us up to date. Some users are really going to try to accept the new UI/framework here, but you all set the bar high given 1Password's history. We have been conditioned to expect zero regression from the iPassword 7 Mac app. :smile:

• davidrushton
    davidrushton
    Community Member
    edited August 2021
    Options

I have Cmd+Shift+/ setup was my 1Password keyboard shortcut (past version of 1P), but it seems to be hijacking Cmd+/ which is preventing that working in other apps (e.g. Visual Studio Code, PhpStorm).

In Beta preferences, there doesn't appear to be a way to check / change keyboard shortcuts.

OS Version: macOS 11.5.1

• @davidrushton

Keyboard shortcut mapping is being worked on. Hopefully soon.

• sfuzzymagic
    sfuzzymagic
    Community Member
    edited August 2021
    Options

I don't see a config for this in settings/preferences of the app anywhere. The most annoying one is the one for 'quick access' as the choice there overlaps some fairly popular IDE shortcuts.

OS Version: macOS 12.0
    Referrer: forum-search:shortcut

• blar
    blar
    Community Member
    Options
    1. Open system preferences
    2. Click on keyboard
    3. Choose the shortcuts tab
    4. Click on App shortcuts
    5. Click "+"
    6. Choose the application to edit the shortcut
    7. Input the name on the menu item in "menu title"
    8. In keyboard shortcut enter the shortcut you want
    9. save and restart the application.

Works for every (most?) applications.

• @sfuzzymagic

Keyboard shortcuts should be dropping soon. It's been one of our most requested things as of late.

• @blar

Thanks for sharing! I have used that in the past for my own needs. ;)

• Geobomatic
    Geobomatic
    Community Member
    Options

Using early access v8, I think we should be able to customize the keyboard shortcut. Or at least deactivate some. For exemple, Ctrl+Shift+Space conflict with a lot of IDE (VSCode in my case, to trigger parameter hints).

1Password Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided

• Ben
    Options

Hi folks. I've merged a few threads that were about the same subject. Customization of keyboard shortcuts is coming soon. 🙌🏻

Ben

• Chris Messina
    Chris Messina
    Community Member
    Options

@dteare recently announced in build 80200056:

Improved keyboard shortcuts, including the return of ⌘\ (ctrl+\ on Windows & Linux)! 🥳

However, I already use this shortcut for Paste (my clipboard manager), and now whenever I use ⌘-\ to launch Paste, I'm prompted to authenticate with Touch ID because 1Password is attempting to launch itself.

I looked in 1Password 8's preferences as well as macOS's Keyboard Shortcuts System Preferences, but I can't locate where this keyboard shortcut is set so that I can unset it.

Please advise!

1Password Version: 80200056
    OS Version: macOS 11.5.2 (20G95)

This discussion has been closed.