Which one should I buy?

G'day

I was just wondering if there are any differences between the MAS and non-MAS versions of 1Password. Is there any reason to pick one over the other?

Cheers

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited March 2013

Hi MNemo

There are a few differences,

Notably the Mac App Store you can install on all devices you feel comfortable having linked to your Apple ID.

The Mac App Store version has and uses the sandboxing requirements from Apple so if you are going to use Dropbox syncing the data file must be in a specific location ~/Dropbox/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain

As to future developments, when 1Password 4 debuts only the Mac App Store version will support iCloud syncing.

Here is the support article describing the differences http://support.agilebits.com/kb/1password-39-for-mac-from-mac-app-store/whats-the-difference-between-1password-39-and-38

Recently folks were talking about only the Mac App Store version getting a free update to 1Password 4. However any folks that purchase from the agilebits site in 2013 will also get the free update to 1Password 4.

Most notably the Mac App Store version is a lot easier on updates etc with centralized access to them from the app store.

Me, I don't mind installing new updates but I purchased 1Password 4 which as I said above simplifies my life and installs updates for the wife, kids, etc without me having to ask her/them to do it. The Mac App Store they just gets notified and the Mac App Store even quits the app to install the update if needed, after asking of course. So for me thats a bonus for the family life.

• thomas_
    thomas_
    Community Member

Is there a possibility to switch to the Mac App Store Version on upgrade?

• MNemo
    MNemo
    Community Member
    edited March 2013

Thanks for the comments. So apart from the sandboxing, Dropbox location & iCloud integration; there's no difference? The reason I ask is that some MAS versions of apps have less functionality and their developers recommend the non-MAS versions - while also admitting that they're less convenient to update and transfer between systems. If I buy directly from Agile Bits, will they continue to support the project, or will they ultimately sell only one version?

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited March 2013

They have made the decision to sell the Mac App Store version, as well as the AgileBits store version.

Those who purchase 1Password 3 from the Mac App Store will get a free upgrade to 1Password 4 Mac App Store version.

Those who purchase 1Password 3 starting in 2013 from the AgileBits site will get a free upgrade to 1Password 4 but again the site version.

So in short they will continue to sell both versions.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member

@thomas_

Unfortunately not from what I understand. I personally do suspect a sale of some sorts at its debut but thats just a guess and in no way a confirmation that it will happen. Just a personal speculation.

This discussion has been closed.