Problem with sites that only ask for password initially

Hi there

I am having a recurring problem with 1Password.

Say I change my password on Twitter. Here is what happens:

• Twitter asks for a new password - not my username since I'm already authenticated. I fill in the new password and submit.
  • 1Password asks me if I'd like to save the entry: I do.
  • The next time I come to sign in to Twitter, the Twitter form asks for username and password. I type in my username, then ask 1Password to fill in the password for me.
  • 1Password fills in my password and clears the username field. So I fail to authenticate, and have to either open 1Password, find the Twitter entry, copy and paste - or reset my password again.

Is there any non-fiddly way to get around this? (I guess I can remember to manually open and edit the 1Password entry when I reset the password, but I count that as fiddly.)

It's happening a lot, and it's a major irritation when using 1Password.

Thanks.

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Whenever 1Password saves a Login item via the browser extension, it "records" all the fields on the page in order to "play them back" when filling the Login item in the future. It sounds like you saved a Login item on the password change page, so there was no username field on the page for 1Password to save. Thus, there is no username recorded in the Login item.

The simple solution is to always save Login items on the page where you intend to fill them. Almost without exception this will be the site's login page — not it's registration page, not it's password change page, etc.

1. Visit the site's login page. In the case of Twitter it is the same as the home page: https://twitter.com
    2. Enter your credentials, but DO NOT submit the form.
    3. Click the 1Password button in your browser's toolbar, and select the "+" button in the upper right hand corner.
    4. Change the title and make any notes (if desired).
    5. Click the Save button in the upper right hand corner.

That's the method to manually save a Login in case you already have a Login saved for the site with the same password. (1Password will not automatically prompt you to save a new one in that case since it would be prompting you to save a new Login item every time you logged in to the site if existing Logins with the same password were not ignored.)

Manually saving a new Login can be useful for logins that are either problematic to begin with or were once working but have since stopped. Saving a new Login item allows 1Password to refresh everything it "knows" about the page. Login pages often change as websites are updated and this can be a necessary but very useful tip. :)

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help!

This discussion has been closed.