Double entries, understanding Generated Password items

ibarnett
ibarnett
Community Member
edited March 2013 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

OK I'm new :)
I have looked at the FAQ's, also enough pages here to go cross-eyed, but can't find my answer.
I only have a few entries so far, & finally worked most of the browser plug-in usage.
However 2 Logins are showing twice in the 1password Desktop.
In both cases 1 entry just shows password, the other shows user name & password.
Why is it so?

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Good question! At least one of those items is a Generated Password item. Generated Password items are a safety net.

A Generated Password item is created each time you click the "Save" button in the generator (within the app) or the "Fill" button within the generator in the browser extension. They do no harm in the Generated Passwords section, and you can delete them if you wish. The Generated Passwords section is intended to be a safety net, though, so we recommend leaving it intact. You can toggle its display in the sidebar if you wish (Preferences > General > Display in Sidebar > Generated Passwords). It is completely separate from your Logins which are the main items used for logging in via the mobile apps' built-in browser and the browser extensions on your desktop.

If anyone knows about an abundance of generated passwords cluttering up a data file, you can be sure that we at AgileBits do (with all the testing we constantly perform)! There are too many to worry about. I treat it like my Gmail archive. I never look at it, but I can search it if I ever need to. And I have certainly needed to once or twice after I thought I had saved a login but hadn't. Saved my bacon on more than one occasion.

I hope that helps explain the situation a bit better. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

This discussion has been closed.