Password Changing

I'm not sure what features you intend to put in version 4 so I am going to suggest this so that hopefully it makes it into your list. I feel, considering the quality and the polish of your application that the password update/change procedure is lengthy, clumsy and unintuitive. It should be simple for browser extensions to see that you already have a login stored for this site when it detects a different password and instead of offering to save a duplicate (which it does) it should just give you the chance to update your current login with the new information you just entered. I won't name it but one of your main competitors, whom I moved over from because it did not have a desktop client, did this very elegantly so it's clearly very simple. Also, changing several passwords at once is a tedious process. My university and my websites I maintain have a central authentication facility which means I have the same password/username for many different sites/domains. I can highlight several logins in the desktop app but I cannot modify them at the same time. My University has a 3 month lifetime for passwords and it's a nightmare to go and find and change them all. Again, your competition's app will ask if you wish to change your current password and also does a search for similar logins in that domain and allows you to select which you would like to update with the same password with checkboxes. Evernote recently made all it's users change their passwords and I tend to agree that regular changing of your passwords in conjunction with password strength would make a very robust system against intrusion. 1Password is great at the first bit but I believe you should be doing more for the other. Thank You

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

We are always working to improve and appreciate your feedback (and kind words), Andreas!

"Linked accounts" or "multiple URLs for a single Login item" are a version 4 feature and already available in 1Password 4 for iOS.They will be available in 1Password 4 for Mac as well. This should solve the issue you describe with your University wherein multiple URLs use the same username and password. You can just have one Login item and add all the URLs to it. Much simpler. :)

As for password changes, this is definitely something on our radar. I can't discuss future plans, but I will definitely make sure the developers get your vote for this. For now, the current procedure is outlined in the User Guide:

Changing a Login's Password

If we can be of further assistance in the meantime, please let us know. We are always here to help!

This discussion has been closed.