Show 1Password icon in form fields [Not available in 1Password Classic; requires 1Password X]

SyberCorp
SyberCorp
Community Member
edited September 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

Currently, the 1Password icon only shows inside of form fields when using Safari. This wouldn't be a problem except for when using other browsers and a form (or part of one) is displayed within a popup window that doesn't display the toolbar, and ESPECIALLY a problem when right-clicking has been disabled on a site to prevent users from displaying the context menu to select 1Password that way, resulting in users having to either memorize their login info (which is yet another problem with 2FA tokens), or having to copy/paste back and forth from the main browser window or main 1Password window into the popup window. Please correct this behavior so that there is at least an option to display the 1Password icon inside of form fields like there is for Safari.

Comments

• Nhat_Nguyen
    edited September 2021

Hello @SyberCorp,

To have the 1Password icon appear in an input field on other browsers besides Safari, please ensure that you have "1Password - Password Manager" from here: https://1password.com/downloads => scroll down to "Get 1Password in your browser" and select a browser. In case you need it, please go here for more information about "1Password - Password Manager"

• SyberCorp
    SyberCorp
    Community Member
    edited September 2021

@Nhat_Nguyen I’m not sure what you’re getting at. I’ve always had browser extensions installed in every browser I use (Safari, Chrome, Brave, and Firefox). Only Safari shows the 1Password icon within form fields. That’s how 1Password is designed.

Here are some screenshots to help you understand what I’m referring to.

Safari:
    Safari

Chrome/Brave:
    Chrome/Brave

Firefox:
    Firefox

Settings showing only Safari has this capability:
    1Password Settings

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@SyberCorp:

What version of the 1Password browser extension did you install in Chrome, Brave and Firefox? Have you made sure to install the extension from the link Nhat provided?

• SyberCorp
    SyberCorp
    Community Member
    edited September 2021

Brave: 4.7.5.90
    Chrome: 4.7.5.90
    Firefox: 4.7.5.90

Yes. These are the latest versions available for the classic (non-1PasswordX) extensions. And, no, I don’t want 1PasswordX instead.

• And, no, I don’t want 1PasswordX instead.

That's going to be the only way to get this feature, I'm afraid. 1Password Classic is no longer being developed and will not have additional functionality added to it.

Ben

• SyberCorp
    SyberCorp
    Community Member
    edited September 2021

@Ben That’s unfortunate, especially considering that the last time I gave 1Password X a chance it didn’t have all of the same functionalities, was drastically slower than the classic extensions, unlocking 1Password in one browser doesn’t unlock it for other browsers, and many other shortcomings in comparison.

• SyberCorp
    SyberCorp
    Community Member

@Ben I just installed the 1Password X extension in Brave to give it another shot to see if anything has really improved with it since the last time I tried it out and, unsurprisingly, it’s still just as slow as it was last time. Can you please explain why the decision was made to move users to the X extension instead of maintaining the classic extensions, given how much better they perform?

I’m not sure if the trade-off for the form field icons is worth the very noticeable performance hit.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@SyberCorp:

it’s still just as slow as it was last time.

When is it slow exactly?

Can you please explain why the decision was made to move users to the X extension instead of maintaining the classic extensions, given how much better they perform?

This is a product decision, so I am afraid this is an answer that we don't have in tech support, sorry :( But if there is something we can help with in improving how the extension performs on your devices, we will be happy to do that :+1:

• SyberCorp
    SyberCorp
    Community Member

The first place you can see the slowness is when you first launch the browser, and see that the 1Password extension is in a locked state for a few seconds before unlocking itself, like you’re waiting for the extension to reach out to the API or something.

The second place is when you click the icon for the first time after the browser is launched, like the menus are rendering for the first time and there’s no sort of cache that would render it once but then be used for subsequent first-open-since-launch scenarios.

Additionally, one of the other differences between the classic extension and this one, which is one of the reasons I say it sucks and is inferior to the classic extensions, is that there is no option to lock 1Password upon the browser closing now, which presents a security risk in the case where you need to quickly shut a browser expecting that your 1Password vault is going to lock immediately.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2021

@SyberCorp:

Additionally, one of the other differences between the classic extension and this one, which is one of the reasons I say it sucks and is inferior to the classic extensions, is that there is no option to lock 1Password upon the browser closing now, which presents a security risk in the case where you need to quickly shut a browser expecting that your 1Password vault is going to lock immediately.

This is actually possible with the new extension, if you disable integration with the desktop app, but I am not aware of a way to do this with the classic extension. Because the lock state is managed by the 1Password app, and not by the extension, closing the browser would keep 1Password unlocked anyway.

Can you let us know the steps you are following to make this happen with the classic extension? Perhaps you are following a different procedure, and we can certainly test that :+1:

• SyberCorp
    SyberCorp
    Community Member

It’s the opposite for me. I’ve never found a way to do that with 1Password X and have always (since I’ve had 1Password for the last 10+ years) done it with the classic extensions and desktop app. I still have the desktop app and integration enabled in the new extensions, and it doesn’t do this.

• @SyberCorp

You're right, when you have integration enabled for 1Password 2.0.5 it will honour the auto-lock settings you have defined in the desktop app - similar to that of the 1Password classic extension. Unless you've set a really short auto-lock timer in the app, I'd be interested to know how you achieved this with the 1Password classic extension.

As Ana mentioned, if you want 1Password in your browser to automatically lock when you quit your browser, you'll have to disable integration. Keep in mind, this will also disable your ability to use biometrics to unlock 1Password in your browser.

• SyberCorp
    SyberCorp
    Community Member
    edited September 2021

My bad. I misspoke. I have 1Password set to lock when the system locks or the screensaver is activated, or after idling for too long. I forgot that when I close my browser, it's usually because I'm done on the system for the time being, so I usually also lock the system entirely. I am pretty certain that there was an option to lock 1Password upon the browser closing in the classic extensions, at least one point in time, but that also may have been on Windows and not macOS. Either way, if I can do that with 1Password X but have to disable app integration to achieve it, I'll live without it, I suppose. My other complaints about the new extension are still valid, though, about how it's noticeably slower, however if the classic extensions are no longer maintained I can't use them since they wouldn't be receiving any security patches or such.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@SyberCorp:

All development is going towards the new extension, so it can only improve ;) In the meantime, if you prefer to continue using the classic extension you can certainly do that :+1:

This discussion has been closed.