1Password for Safari does not work with standalone vaults [iOS Password AutoFill is available]

Options
MattSuda
MattSuda
Community Member
edited September 2021 in iOS

AgileBits Update: You can read the official answer from 1Password founder Dave Teare using the button below.

View Approved Answer

I can't use a standalone vault anymore with Safari in the new iOS app version 7.8

After updating the iOS app, the previous Safari share sheet button is no longer there. There is only the new iOS 15 Safari extension and when I try to set it up it says standalone vaults are not supported. I would be ok with that if the old option in the share sheet was still there, but it has been removed. So pretty much anyone with a standalone vault can no longer use Safari integration anymore.

For now I have downgraded to the previous iOS version in TestFlight.

Unless I am missing some new setting to bring it back?

I'm totally disappointed you're breaking this feature for existing standalone vault users unless we pay for a monthly subscription.

Between the upcoming 1Password 8 Mac app and breaking existing functionality in the current iOS app, I am not sure if 1Password is right for me in the future. I was considering a subscription before the 1Password 8 news, but that and the fact that a current version of the app that previously supported standalone accounts no longer does, doesn't sit right with me.

Please restore the old Safari share sheet extension that works with standalone vaults.

1Password Version: 7.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @MattSuda

Thank you for reaching out with your concerns. Standalone vaults will not be part of 1Password moving forward, however, the Password AutoFill feature of iOS continues to be available in 1Password for iOS and is usable by those who have existing standalone vaults:

Use 1Password to fill and save on your iPhone and iPad

You can read more about the future of standalone vaults from one of our founders, Dave, here:

What is the future of local/standalone vaults?

Ben

• MattSuda
    MattSuda
    Community Member
    Options

Yes I understand moving forward standalone vaults won't be supported, but from reading previous messages on this forum, those plans are happening with 1Password 8 and a new separate iOS app. 1Password has broken standalone vault support in the current version. I am not happy with this.

I can no longer use the Safari share sheet extension to easily fill in credit card details or other functions. Yes AutoFill still works, but for anything else I now have to manually go into the app and copy it and then go back to Safari and paste it.

Please restore the old Safari share sheet extension that works with standalone vaults.

The forum messages I've read in the past assured us that 1Password 7 and the current iOS app would still work with standalone vaults for now. That doesn't seem to be the case anymore... with every last update to this version of the iOS app, you are taking existing functionality away hoping that we upgrade to a subscription. I am thinking about a subscription, but I am not ready to move to 1Password 8 just yet especially if the Mac app performance is not up to par with the previous app yet. And updates like this taking every last functional thing away from standalone vaults makes it hard to want to consider a subscription.

• volcom45
    volcom45
    Community Member
    edited September 2021
    Options

Yeah, I'm pretty livid! No where in your entire blog post today does it say standalone vaults not supported. No where does it say a 1password subscription is required. In fact, it touts it as being a "free update". It most certainly is not a free update if you are required to pay a subscription to use it. I just paid the full $70 this year for the standalone mac version of 1password 7 and am not about to have to start paying a subscription just to use this new extension support in iOS. Truly sad. Please stop shafting all of your previous paying customers. I'm extremely frustrated about this as I'd been looking forward all summer to this functionality.. shady!

• @MattSuda

easily fill in credit card details

Indeed; unfortunately Password AutoFill doesn't handle Credit Cards or Identities like 1Password for Safari does. I've filed this feedback with our development team. Thank you for sharing. I'll keep my eye out for any workarounds or progress on this.

Ben

ref: dev/apple/issues#5491

• Dom
    Dom
    Community Member
    Options

Did you really have to break this without telling anyone? I’d have held off on my iOS 15 update had I known. Actually wait a sec… I’ve just tested the latest release on iOS 14 and it seems to be gone there too. Brilliant. Great job.

Honestly, to think I used to actively support Agilebits and think they were one of the “good guys”. Now it’s just a case of waiting to see which disappointing decision you’ll make next.

• volcom45
    volcom45
    Community Member
    Options

It's nothing more than a matter of greed. We have this very functionality on 1Password7 for macOS which DOES support standalone vaults in the browser extension. There is no reason why they can't offer it to us on iOS/iPadOS, other than greed. This is not a security concern, by any means. I truly hope your development team rethinks this decision and does a 180 to allow the rest of us to enjoy this as well with our standalone vaults. I won't be signing up for your subscription!

• dteare
    edited September 2021
    Options

I'm sorry for the trouble here. It's not ideal and I wish we were able to make things perfect for everyone.

As mentioned it would have been nicer if we were able to bundle 1Password for Safari into an entirely new app as we wouldn't have needed to make changes in to the existing app and avoid breaking anything. While that would have had many upsides we're not ready to introduce 1Password 8 for iOS to the world yet and so we would have needed to create a 3rd app if we went this way. It's really tricky managing multiple SKUs in the store as there's limitations to what you can do there so we need to keep as few SKUs as possible.

Ideally we would have simply supported all approaches in 1Password for Safari on iOS within 1Password 7 but it's just not something we could pursue. We pushed standalone vaults as far as we could and needed the features of 1Password.com to make today's release possible.

A big part of this stems from 1Password for Safari using a lot of the technology and implementations from 1Password 8, which was completely rewritten from the ground up to take full advantage of our 1Password.com service. You can read all about this decision and why we choose this approach in this mini-essay I wrote in another thread.

That post was written with 1Password for Mac and Windows in mind but many of the points cover iOS and iPad as well. And on the technical side of things, 1Password for Safari is a standalone extension within Safari that needs to live completely within ~6MB of memory (in total, minus ~2MB for some preallocated frameworks).

Furthermore, Safari does its best to protect battery life and keep things snappy as well, so it ensures extensions finish in a timely fashion. Frankly I don’t see how we could have made standalone vaults work there with the same great experience.

I’m sure given enough time and effort we could have found ways to hack support in and been at least partially successful, but with the subpar experience combined with standalone vaults not being included in 1Password 8, we decided to go all in on memberships while designing and implementing support for Safari. And I’m glad we did as there’s no way we could have been here on iOS 15 launch day if we had added any additional requirements.

With that said, it is unfortunate that some of the functions from the old share sheet are no longer available. A lot of the reasons why we are so excited about the new approach in 1Password for Safari is we can do so much more than we were ever able to do in the share sheet. We were extremely limited in functionality there and it showed. While we weren't able to preserve all the features of the share sheet the most important one by far is filling passwords and we made sure that would continue to support that via Password Autofill for both members and standalone vault users.

I hope that helps. Take care and stay safe,

++dave;
    1Password Founder

• As a follow up I wanted to share a screenshot of the Password Autofill feature on iOS . In some other conversations with users I found not everyone had enabled Password Autofill on iOS and were understandably panicking when they had no autofill to fall back up. For anyone who finds themselves in a similar boat, this article should help.

++dave;
    1Password Founder

• max_h
    max_h
    Community Member
    Options

Seriously, you’re crippling existing 1Password 7 functionality we‘ve been paying in the past in order take make us switch to the subscription.

This move will make me switch to a subscription of a competitor.

Thanks for nothing.

• Mark1Up
    Mark1Up
    Community Member
    Options

After upgrading to IOS 15 on my iPad and using the latest 1Password version, I am getting the “Standalone vaults are not supported” message in Safari even for filling in userid and passwords. I have Auto-Fill enabled with 1Password selected. From reading the previous comments it sounds like this functionality should still work with a standalone vault (while other auto-fill functionality will no longer work).

Can we get some clarification about what auto-fill functionality should still be working with a standalone vault?

And if we are hitting a bug or setup issue if it isn’t working (i.e. “Standalone vaults are not supported” message)?

Thanks,
    Mark

• Mark1Up
    Mark1Up
    Community Member
    Options

As a follow up to my previous post - “I am getting the “Standalone vaults are not supported” message in Safari even for filling in userid and passwords”.

I have have figured out that by having the 1Password extension enabled (under puzzle piece icon in url bar) it blocks the auto-fill id/password functionality with standalone vaults. After disabling the extension the auto-fill id/password functionality is working again as before.

Maybe some doco or app msg update about this would be helpful to reduce confusion.

Regards,
    Mark

• verdi1987
    verdi1987
    Community Member
    Options

I’m very unhappy with the changes in 7.8. The share sheet extension needs to return. There are instances where 1P does not detect a fillable form, so there is no way to autofill it anymore. I must go back to the main app to copy. I logged a related issue here: https://1password.community/discussion/123526/share-sheet-extension

7.7.8 should be made available for those with standalone vaults.

• occamsrazor
    occamsrazor
    Community Member
    edited September 2021
    Options

The point isn't that this change was coming, and I think some, many people may understand why.
    The point is that nowhere in the blog piece or IOS release notes was it mentioned that this particular release would break something so important for a lot of people.
    You don't break stuff without telling people first. Period.
    I am on 1P cloud so it doesn't affect me personally, but I feel for others in this situation and simply find this utterly inexcusable, especially on an OS that does not permit you to revert to a previous version.
    Rather than explain in length why you needed to do x,y,z etc... please address specifically why you did not inform users of this significant change. Given the extensive wording in the blog and release notes on every other matter, it is hard for users not to infer that this omission was deliberate.

• Dom
    Dom
    Community Member
    Options

Looking at some of the other iOS 15-optimised apps I have installed I can see at least one that includes both an extension and a share sheet. What would the harm have been in leaving the share sheet in – even with prominent ‘legacy’ labelling – and adding the extension for subscribers to the cloud service? People could choose to enable whichever version they wanted.

I don’t particularly care that I don’t have access to the new extension and I’m well aware that further resources are not being expended on standalone vaults, but it doesn’t seem unreasonable to expect that users who paid for standalone Mac & iOS licenses would continue to have access to the features that they originally paid for. Bear in mind it’s not an OS update that broke something – even users who are still on iOS 14 have now lost significant chunks of functionality.

Even then, I could respect it if the extension announcement blog post included a note that was candid about the plans to drop support for the share sheet/standalone vaults – particularly if you were honest about the fact that it’s not solely a technical decision – but you kept silent and waited for people to discover it themselves. Even when they did discover it most of your responses have been along the lines of “well maybe you just don’t fully understand”. It’s such a strange way to treat customers, most of whom would still be willing to throw money at you if you’d just continue to offer the service they originally paid for.

• max_h
    max_h
    Community Member
    Options

I just threw money at one of your competitors and went with their two year introductory offer. And I recommended the same for the many friends of mine that I referred 1Password to in the past.

• agtoau
    agtoau
    Community Member
    Options

Longtime customer of standalone 1Password. Totally unacceptable that without warning I can no longer use it on iPadOS or iOS.

• alexsns
    alexsns
    Community Member
    Options

It’s not acceptable to have share sheet/standalone vaults disabled on 7.8 release. I’m a loyal customer, paying a regular subscription, but I don’t want to have my entire password vault stored in the cloud. Your decision to drop the standalone vault support it’s not fair. Please reconsider to put back in the next software release the standalone vault support.

• gbendinelli
    gbendinelli
    Community Member
    Options

I’ve been happy with my Dropbox-synced local vault since 2008, and I have to say I am really disheartened by how this has all played out. I understand that software evolves and development circumstances change, but to have the entire functionality of 1Password fundamentally break overnight with the elimination of share sheet functionality is pretty devastating. To state that 1Password 7 will continue to be supported and then pull the plug on any reasonably useful integration is dishonest in the extreme. As somebody who was tuned out of the whole situation, I found out trying to fill in a password today that my entire setup is broken and will never work again unless I pay up. No sunset notice or grace period, no email, just a sudden paywall on a piece of software that I own, and a flimsy coupon if you look hard enough.

I haven’t been paying close attention to the looming transition, but had assumed that 1Password would eventually phase out the standalone license model and force everybody to subscribe. The “stop hitting yourself” approach of implicitly pressuring users into a subscription model—and then claiming that you’re eliminating the standalone model in part because most users subscribe now—is a real feat of mental gymnastics.

There is also a real ethical dilemma I have with the subscription model in the way that it preys on financial insecurity in order to extract even more wealth from people who can’t afford an one-time charge, but end up spending significantly more money in the long run. The subscription model seems to be the inevitable fate of most VC-backed, growth-obsessed software now, which is a real shame. It’s no longer about keeping the lights on, but adding floors to the building.

In truth, I will probably end up subscribing out of necessity. But it is hard to stomach the expectation that after supporting this company’s software for 13 years, the sudden axing of core functionality will inspire me to start paying monthly to use something I supposedly I already own.

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    edited September 2021
    Options

Breaking 1Password 7 for iOS is an inexcusable move. Most users either have auto-update enabled or hit the Update All button. Avoiding the breakage is extremely burdensome and nigh-on impossible. Because of this reality I disagree with @occamsrazor on his contention that this is principally a disclosure problem. The problem is that in practice the 7.8 update cannot be declined.

Give us back a working 1Password 7, and if you feel you really need to push these new iOS 15 features out now then make them available as 1Password 8 beta. SKU management issues cannot justify this kind of breakage.

• verdi1987
    verdi1987
    Community Member
    Options

Removal of standalone vault support is a 1P8 deprecation. Similarly, removal of vault support for the iOS/iPadOS extension should be a 1P8 for iOS deprecation. Let us using standalone vaults continue to use 1P 7.7.8 for iOS. We understand we won’t get new features, but don’t remove core functionality, especially without forewarning.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

Guys what's that you don't understand?

You are being screwed by 1P and they moved on without us.
    Time for us to move on without them.
    No need to complain they will not change.

FYI Bitwarden allows an import of all 1P data and offers the sharesheet menu to fill in password details.
    I am testing it since 2 weeks and I pretty happy with it. It does what it supposes to do with no BS. Give a try it's free, open source and they even have third party audit. 😁

• agtoau
    agtoau
    Community Member
    Options

Where is the coupon for the switch to subscription? I have to perforce switch as I cannot do without a functioning 1Password and I don’t have the time to fight this battle (probably what they count on with most folks).

• brank
    brank
    Community Member
    edited September 2021
    Options

I’ve been using 1password for a long time. Maybe 7 or 8 years? I think I started with version 3 or 4. I also teach classes on privacy and data security and used to recommend 100% whole heartedly until they got rid of stand alone licenses. Then I was still recommending to my students it as an option alongside a few others.

This downgrade is so offensive to me, unless it’s reverted or some option to downgrade our iOS versions to the old version exists, I’ll stop recommending it as an option and actively discourage it.

Let me set my feelings of subscription models aside, which is that it’s a terrible model because it discourages development because you’re guaranteed the monthly fee even if what you do is downgrade the product like with 7.8. This is a security concern because stand alone offline vaults are significantly more secure than cloud-based.

Go ahead and tell me 1password promises to never bow to government pressure to put back doors into your vaults and put the lives of foreign reporters at risk. Great. Thanks. I’ll trust my offline vault. And I have a responsibly to my students, some of whom may have their lives at risk from violent ex-partners or for being gay in the wrong country.

Go ahead and tell me you didn’t switch to cloud-vaults to force people into subscriptions.

Go ahead and tell me you didn’t strip functionality to previous stand-alone license users to force them into subscriptions.

Active development costs money. You undercharged for the stand-alone license many of us bought. So your answer is to make us pay so you can downgrade our experience?

Break our legs and hand us a pair of crutches and demand thanks for your active development?

I’m disgusted by this change and I’m disgusted by the response from agilebits so far of shrugging and saying “sorry we were forced to downgrade your experience to improve the experience of our other customers.

When all you had to do was keep the legacy version of 1password available on the App Store. And fork off a new version. Stop updating the legacy version. Fine. But to completely remove it?

Disgusting and you should be ashamed.

• verdi1987
    verdi1987
    Community Member
    Options

Over the years I have recommended 1Password to all my Mac friends. I can no longer do so.

• brank
    brank
    Community Member
    edited September 2021
    Options

I was planning to buy a new iPad mini this week. Now with this change ruining the 1password experience on iOS, I’m going to pass and accelerate moving over to Linux on a small laptop and a try out a handful of other password managers while I wait to see if agilebits will revert this change or make the legacy version available again.

For the last several years an iPad was my daily use web surfing driver. This change to 1password ruins the iPad for me. I’m also one of the “crazy” people who opposed the new Apple CSAM changes and was on the fence about continuing with Apple until they reversed their decision but it seems like agilebits made the decision much easier for me.

I could spend $500 on a new iPad and $50 a year for 1password to have weaker security than I currently have with offline vaults, or switch to Linux for free and have a less pretty experience that is more secure. The money doesn’t even matter as much as the security and the principle of crippling already paid for software. The fact that I get better security with less money is an odd bonus.

• Mark1Up
    Mark1Up
    Community Member
    Options

I’m seeing a lot of posts that seem to say when using a standalone vault that the auto-fill functionality for user id/password doesn’t work with the new 1P version on IOS/iPadOS 15. This isn’t true, the auto-fill functionality for user id/password continues to work as it did in previous versions as long as the 1P extension is disabled (puzzle piece icon in browser url bar). It does appear that other auto-fill functionality is not supported but the user id/password auto-fill still is.

Regards,
    Mark

• verdi1987
    verdi1987
    Community Member
    Options

@Mark1Up, Yes, it is the other non-fillable (but previously fillable) forms that are a source of angst.

• volcom45
    volcom45
    Community Member
    edited September 2021
    Options

Like the theme of those upset keep hitting on here, the problem is you guys took the easy way to have your new extension support available on day 1 of iOS/iPadOS15. But, that came at the expense of removing existing paid features that those of us who paid for your app but do not pay for a subscription, lost without a single heads up or warning. It said nothing in your blog about it. We had to just be hit right in the face with your disgusting popup. You SHOULD'VE kept this an exclusive for your 8.0 iOS app which should have been released alongside 7.x for those of us that paid. But, you opted to screw us all over, instead. Many of your even paying subscribers are pointing out that they don't like hosting their passwords on your servers and still prefer standalone vaults. That is something that you need to respect. Give us the choice. Give us our share extension back that you removed. A user pointed out an iOS/iPadOS15 app that included both the share sheet as well as the new extension support. There is zero reason why you can't bring that back to us and move forward with your 8.0 app separately. This has me so mad that I lay awake in the middle of the night unable to sleep thinking about it. Do the right thing. You owe it to us. Look at other app examples like Tweetbot who when they switched to subscription, they released a separate app for new features and left those of us that paid, with everything we had untouched. Learn from this!! Do something to make things right for everyone fleeing your platform. Also, expect news articles to show up about this and give you a bad name/rep! I fully plan to push all of the big tech news to report on this and what you've done to us.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

Guys you should make some noise on social media and not here. 1P really doesn't care about your complains.

I already told all my friends and colleagues to switch to Bitwarden.

This discussion has been closed.