Desktop app should not pop open when logging in a website with same username/password

Options

Hello,

I use 1Password extensively throughout my day and have been using 1Password for many years now. While I love the product a lot, there is 1 feature about it that becomes very annoying for a heavy usage user like me.

The desktop app always opens up when I log in to a website. While this is obviously the expected behavior when signing up on a website for the first time OR changing either the username or password on a website, why does it pop open even when the username + password combination is exactly the same as the one stored in 1Password? Invariably, it takes me to the "update existing" menu and I have to cancel out of it because I don't want to update anything.

Is there a way to turn off the pop-up when logging in with a username + password that's the same in 1Password?

Note - I am using the 1Password classic desktop extension- https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/1password-extension-deskt/aomjjhallfgjeglblehebfpbcfeobpgk, along with the desktop app.

1Password Version: 7.7.810
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Windows 10

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @manishgiri!

why does it pop open even when the username + password combination is exactly the same as the one stored in 1Password? Invariably, it takes me to the "update existing" menu and I have to cancel out of it because I don't want to update anything.

This typically happens when the URLs don't match. Is the website you are on the exact same website you entered in this Login item?

• manishgiri
    manishgiri
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana Hello, thank you for responding! I am not really sure what you're asking - there's really no way for me to control how websites choose to maintain their login page/URLs.

For instance - It may happen that I signed up on a website at abc.com/signup, where I created a username + password that was then stored in 1Password as well. However, their login page could very well be at abc.com/signin or abc.com/login. When I visit this page, the browser easily remembers this username + password because it's on the same domain (abc.com) even though the exact URLs are different, while 1Password considers this to be a different URL and pops open the app to store the login credentials, even though it's the exact same as the one already stored in 1Password.

• 1P_Claudio
    edited September 2021
    Options

Thanks for getting back and giving us additional info regarding how this is happening @manishgiri . Let's take a closer look into this. :)

Could you write in at support+windows@1password.com and reference this post? We'll then pick things up and look into this with you!

This discussion has been closed.