macOS Safari: Integrated extension vs. separate "1Password for Safari" extension?

Hi,

are there any details about the difference of those two extensions?

The first one is shipped directly within 1Password for macOS - but within the App Store I can also download a separate "1Password for Safari" extension?

Can I use both, which one is the "right" one, and will there be both versions in future?

It's getting a little bit complicated with 1Password App, 1Password X, 1Password for Safari, 1Password iOS Safari extension,...

Hope someone can help?

Thx.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dragon1!

It depends on the version of 1Password for Mac that you are using: if you are on version 7, you should use the integrated extension. If you are testing 1Password 8 Early Access instead, you need to download the extension from the App Store :+1:

• dragon1
    dragon1
    Community Member

Thx.

I'm using stable Version 7 (direct download from 1PW).

So when 1PW 8 will get stable I have to use the extension from the App Store?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@dragon1:

I am not a developer so I am not sure how this will work in a few months and if there are any technical reasons for this, but it's possible that in that case the extension will be available in the App Store, yes :+1:

• Hey @dragon1. Web extensions for Safari currently need to be distributed through the App Store, so any future version of the 1Password app from our website would not be able to include the extension. In theory, the App Store version could include it, but I'm not aware of plans one way or the other, and it might be confusing if the extension was included with the app from one source but not the other. :smile:

This discussion has been closed.