What happened to Windows Hello unlock?

Options

I have two different Win10 machines that were previously able to open 1Password with windows hello. Since the latest update to 1P, this seems to have disappeared. It's set to "allow Windows Hello to unlock" in settings on both machines, but even several restarts, I'm not seeing that option on either machine anymore. Was this removed but not from settings? Did something change with Windows?

1Password Version: 7.7.818
Extension Version: 2.1.0
OS Version: Windows 10

Comments

• Hey @earmsby , That doesn't sound quite right at all! Could you please try the below so we can try and get Windows Hello working normally again?

1. Make sure you have the latest version of 1Password.
    2. Make sure that you are able to use Windows Hello to unlock your PC.
    3. Turn off Windows Hello in 1Password > Settings > Security, then turn it back on again.
    4. Try resetting Windows Hello on your device. Go to Start menu > Settings > Accounts > “Sign-in options”.

If you're still unable to use 1Password with Windows Hello normally having followed the steps above, please reach out to us at Support+Windows@1Password.com, referencing this post, and we'll be happy to look into this further for you! :)

• earmsby
    earmsby
    Community Member
    Options

Ah, seems like turning it off and back on did the trick. Also the app was updated to 7.7.819 since I posted the above. Not sure which one solved it. Thanks for the tips.

• earmsby
    earmsby
    Community Member
    Options

Hmm... this fix worked but every time I reboot my computer, I have to reset this setting. That can't be right?

• Hi @earmsby:

To confirm, are you unable to use Windows Hello after entering your account password at least once without toggling the setting?

Until you unlock 1Password once with your account password after it's closed (or your computer reboots), Windows Hello is not able to be used as an unlock option.

Jack

• earmsby
    earmsby
    Community Member
    Options

Oh ok I see it now. I just have to enter my password the first time after a reboot but then, yes, windows hello is available even if I don't reset that in settings. I didn't understand that you have to sign in that first time. Thanks for that!

• Glad to hear that resolved it @earmsby! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.