Easier way to change the existing account email to Masked Email

Cavolo
Cavolo
Community Member
edited September 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

Masked Email is very easy to use, but can it be more convenient to generate this kind of random email for the existing account saved in the 1Password? It seems that this feature will only be prompted when creating a new account.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• @Cavalo

Ideally, you should be able to create a masked email directly on the "change email" page of the site. Is there a specific site where you are finding this to be particularly problematic, or is it all the sites where you've attempted to change your email address?

• zero_builders
    zero_builders
    Community Member

I haven't been able to get the Safari Extension to offer a Masked Email for ANY existing accounts. Is this unsupported?

• Jack.P_1P
    edited September 2021

Hi @zero_builders:

Are you using the extension bundled in 1Password for Mac, or our separate 1Password for Safari extension?

In Safari, the Fastmail requires the 1Password for Safari extension. That extension does not integrate with 1Password 7. It can either operate with your 1Password membership separately from the app, or it can integrate with 1Password 8 for Mac Early Access.

If you are using the separate extension, would you mind naming some of the sites you've been having issues with?

• zero_builders
    zero_builders
    Community Member
    edited September 2021

Hello @jack.platten,

The ONLY one that I have been able to get to show the create Masked Email is for this site, 1password.community (first screen shot below). I am wondering if that's because I created this account using the Fastmail integration feature.

For all of the other sites that I'd like to change my email address for, there is no prompt, of any sort, about creating a masked email.

I even tried my.1password.com and it does not work.

Is it at all possible to generate an email in the Mac 1Password app?

• Hi @zero_builders:

Thanks for those examples. We're tracking these issues internally, and these examples are helpful.

As it currently stands, 1Password in the browser is currently the only way to generate Masked Emails.

ref: dev/core/core#10373

• zero_builders
    zero_builders
    Community Member

Let me know if I can help, @jack.platten: also a developer here. [=

• sullimander
    sullimander
    Community Member

I ran into this issue too.

Also, some sites worked, but the entry in 1Password didn’t update the username, but created a new “email” field in 1Password for that account.

• zero_builders
    zero_builders
    Community Member

For now, I'm just using Fastmail.com to switch over the email addresses and just doing everything manually, if that helps.

• sullimander
    sullimander
    Community Member

I started doing that too, but then you can’t also manage them in 1Password, not ideal.

I’m guessing that the sites that don’t work are mostly sites that use the email as the username and they are not marking it as an email field since it’s also a username?

• Cavolo
    Cavolo
    Community Member

@ag_chantelle
    From the time this function was launched to now I have changed the email accounts of more than 30 commonly used websites. It can be said that almost no websites support the creation of masked emails directly in the user control panel. For this reason, I can only use a workround to solve this problem, that is, through the registration page of this website to make 1Password create a masked email, and manually log in to the previous account to modify it to this new email.

• zero_builders
    zero_builders
    Community Member

Hopefully there will be an update to recognize Fastmail sync for the ones I've done manually.

• Cavolo
    Cavolo
    Community Member

@sullimander
    Yes, the newly added “email” field cannot be called in the subsequent automatic login, it must be added to the user name bar.

• sullimander
    sullimander
    Community Member
    edited September 2021

When adding a masked email to an existing account 1Password should give the option to update the username.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for all the feedback and findings here guys. Much appreciated!

Currently, 1Password will only suggest a masked email when creating a new login item (on a signup/login form). We've opened an issue internally and will improve this soon so that masked emails are suggested on "Change email" forms as well.

• jqxfxiva
    jqxfxiva
    Community Member

@ag_yaron quick fix: add this option in context menu.

For me, it must have to have option to manually open "Masked Email" popup.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the suggestion @jqxfxiva ! :)

• Cavolo
    Cavolo
    Community Member

@ag_yaron
    Yes, this is very important. In this era, most Internet platform accounts have already been registered.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Agreed! :+1:

• mafm27
    mafm27
    Community Member

I would like to second the following:

• feat: need for an option / shortcut to manually create masked email
    • bug: creating/updating entries with masked email add the value to an email field, instead of username/credential (it was the case even for this community)
    • feat: option to mark a field in 1password as a masked email, to allow for blocking, etc
  • zero_builders
    zero_builders
    Community Member

@Cavolo I tried doing your technique of going through the registration page of a website, but I could not figure out how to then add the entry to my 1Password into the existing item.

Have a screen recording, by chance?

• zero_builders
    zero_builders
    Community Member

Hey @ag_yaron. It would also be great if we could manually identify the "identifier" for the account. For example, the screenshot above, this website uses a username instead of an email. But when I created a masked email in the sign up form, it actually overwrote the username.

Not sure about others, but I use the 1Password app on my machine WAY MORE than the Safari extension. It would be really awesome if the app had a way of creating masked emails, whether or not it was a part of the username.

Another item that would be great is that I migrated around 60 accounts to masked emails since your release. I did it manually by generating the address at Fastmail.com, then manually updating both my 1Password and the respective account. In the future, it would be great if there's a way to tell 1Password that a particular email address is actually a masked email address within Fastmail.

Thank you!

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the additional feedback, all!

We're looking into improving the following:

• Allowing generation of masked emails for existing login items (via the "Change email" form on the website).
    • Removing the extra "username" field from the login item when adding a masked email.
    • Adding an option/button to generate masked email outside the inline menu suggestions.

In the future, it would be great if there's a way to tell 1Password that a particular email address is actually a masked email address within Fastmail.

I don't think that can happen due to how our integration is implemented. We must initiate the masked email generation on 1Password's side in order for it to work properly, and cannot "connect" to existing masked emails that were created via Fastmail's interface.

• zero_builders
    zero_builders
    Community Member

@ag_yaron Thank you for the aggregated details!

• sullimander
    sullimander
    Community Member

@ag_yaron are there any plans to bring masked emails to the native applications? Sometimes I signup for in an application, not Safari, I would like to be able to use masked emails in this case as well. Thanks!

• @sullimander

I can definitely see the value of being able to generate an alias directly from 1Password for native apps. While I can't say for sure when or if this will be available, I've shared your feature request with the appropriate team so they can take it into consideration. :+1:

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member

FWIW I just changed my email address on ups.com and created a masked email there. Problem was, the masked email was nowhere to be found in 1Password. I was able to use "Fill in masked email", but had to manually save the login. Now the result is that it's treated like a regular email, i.e. there's no FM icon or the option to block the masked email.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @Manaburner ,

1Password will suggest new masked emails on registration forms on websites where you want to sign up for. After you generate a new email and generate a new password, you should be prompted to save it as a new login. Did that not happen?

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member

Hi @ag_yaron
    No unfortunately not.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @Manaburner ,

I just tested it again and recorded a video: http://recordit.co/eMqR9VvjkZ

What exactly is different in your process? Do you not get a password suggestion in the new password field? Or does clicking on it not bringing up the save prompt?

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member

The difference is I changed the email address for an already existing account. You create a new one

This discussion has been closed.