Very slow app opening

Options
Denzil
Denzil
Community Member
edited October 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

Since that last major update for 1Password for browser, about 2 months ago or something like that.... the windows version is opening extremly slow. It takes it about 5sec to open, regardless of the method - shrotcut key or click on any button.
On my linux machine however, still works perfectly.. I use keyboard shortcut and it pops up instantly.
The popup I'm talking about is the login one. The initial one. After I'm logged in, it works normally on both platforms.

Now is this some issue on my end or not?
I am also using the desktop app on windows in parallel. I've actually discovered the browser version on my work machine (linux) and then added it to my windows aswell because I prefer that mode of operation.
Ofc I've waited some time before posting a question here.. in case there's an update in the meantime, but as far as I can tell, no update helped.
The browser I'm using is latest Chrome, regular update just as the extension, currently on Version 94.0.4606.61 (Official Build) (64-bit)

1Password Version: 7.7.819
Extension Version: 2.1.0
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro 21H1 build 19043.1237

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @Denzil ,

1Password in your browser is integrated to the 1Password desktop app on your Windows. When you click the extension to unlock it, it actually launches the desktop app first, syncs it, and then shows the unlock screen of the desktop app. This process can take ~2-5 seconds. While 5 seconds is on the verge of being a bit too long, you can try and reduce that time by resetting the desktop app like so:

1. Log into your account at https://my.1password.com and make sure that all of your vaults and passwords are there. We're going to delete them from the desktop app so this is your source of backup and restore - do not proceed if something is missing here.
    2. Reset the desktop app as instructed here: https://support.1password.com/cs/starting-over/
    3. Open the newly reset desktop app, then re-add your 1Password account to it.
    4. Restart your computer, open the desktop app, then open the browser and see if things work faster.

There are two alternative options here, if you prefer them:

• Disable the integration with the desktop app; right-click the extension icon in your browser's toolbar -> Settings -> Turn off the "Integrate with 1Password app" option there. That will make the extension respond immediately when you call it to unlock.
    • Try 1Password 8 beta. The new version of 1Password is still under development, but is already available in beta and it provides a much faster and better experience (both on Linux and Windows). You can install it from here: https://1password.community/discussion/121163/1password-8-for-windows-early-access-🥳#latest
  • Denzil
    Denzil
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @ag_yaron ,
    I've decided to just disable the integration between the extension and the desktop app as I don't consider it even necessary. So things are working perfectly right now :)
    I'm basically one step from removing the desktop app entirely because I don't ever use it anymore.. not really sure why I already didn't do it, maybe some unchecked fear of missing some features through the extension, I don't know :) but eventually I reckon that's what's gonna happen. Maybe I'll wait to see how v8 will behave.

Anyway thanks for your expert help, as usual. You guys rock it! <3

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @Denzil ,
    Glad I could help :)

The desktop app does have some advantages, especially if you like to manage your passwords list constantly. It is much easier to edit/move entries in the desktop app than it is via the extension or our web app. You can drag and drop multiple items in the desktop app, move stuff between different vaults, mass delete/duplicate and more.

However, I can definitely understand if you don't ever use these features, so keeping it light and sticking to the extension only is also great! :+1:

• Denzil
    Denzil
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @ag_yaron ,
    yes I'm aware the desktop is much more conventient when it comes to password managment. That's kinda why I never removed it in the first place.. but after a while I realized I haven't opened it basically since i got the extension. I don't like managing passowrds there, it feels "cheap", UX is much more sophisticated in the desktop app as you are aware .. but it works, and that's what it's about. And since I do this on 2 separate machines, Windows and Linux which doesn't have a desktop app, I eventually came to peace with it :)

Anyway yea I still didn't give up on it.. I still love the app as a piece of software (I'm a dev myself so I look at it through another perspective aswell) and it's not like it's wasting a ton of my resources :)

Either way you helped me out, appreciate it, thank you again, have a nice day :wink:

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @Denzil ,

Before we wrapt it up here I want to point out that we do have a Linux app (was released recently!): https://support.1password.com/install-linux/
    And there's also 1Password 8 beta for Windows which is very similar to the Linux app: https://1password.community/discussion/121163

I hope you'll find these helpful some day.
    Enjoy your 1Password :)

• Denzil
    Denzil
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_yaron wow, did not know that! I'll give it a try :)
    Thanks! :wink:

• On behalf of Yaron, you're very welcome @Denzil! :smile:

This discussion has been closed.