1Password Safari Extension not showing up in Safari Preferences

I went to use 1Password in Safari today, as I do every day. I noticed the other day that the extension disabled itself and reappeared in a different part of the toolbar. Weird, but I didn't think much of it. Now, even after quitting and reopening 1Password (also quitting the helper services), restarting my Mac, and uninstalling the extension from my Mac and redownloading it from the App Store, it will not show up in Safari Preferences so I can turn it on. The button to open Safari Preferences in the little instruction window that appears when you "open" the extension also doesn't work. Maybe it's related.

1Password Version: 8.2.2 80202080
Extension Version: 2.1.3 (20182)
OS Version: macOS 11.6

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @ianbogue ,

Can you please try this:

1. Open Terminal on your Mac.
    2. Paste the following command into it and hit Enter: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -f -R /Applications/Safari.app
    3. Open Safari's preferences and see if the extension is listed there now.
  • ianbogue
    ianbogue
    Community Member

Hi @ag_yaron,
    That worked! Thank you so much.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Glad to hear it :)

• PeterThornton
    PeterThornton
    Community Member

I had the same issue M1 Mac mini 1Password 8 Beta in Big Sur - terminal command fixed it for me too.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for letting us know @PeterThornton :)

• sriggins
    sriggins
    Community Member

This fixed the issue for me, too. I had just migrated to a M1 Max from an Intel laptop. I deleted 1Password for Safari and downloaded it again. I assume this is a bug with Safari?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2021

Hey @sriggins ,
    It's not exactly a bug but more of a failed initialization of extensions in Safari, but yes we hope Apple will improve this soon :)

• sriggins
    sriggins
    Community Member

Ah yeah looks like a launch database issue. I had migrated via target disk mode because the dual migration assistant method refused to use Thunderbolt as the transport layer, insisting on using peer to peer wifi. So likely some launch database reset step never happened.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

I believe other users encountered and reported it as well without performing any major migration, so that's not necessarily the root cause, but thanks for sharing that point of reference! Will keep it in mind.

• FriedEngineer
    FriedEngineer
    Community Member
    edited October 2021

This was driving me crazy; the command above fixed it for me (MacBook Pro 14" w/ M1 Pro).

I would probably add something like "Still not showing up in the extensions pane? Click here to learn how it's Apple's fault and how to fix it!" (except more professional...). Basically just something to point me towards the fix instead of me having to search through these forums.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the suggestion @FriedEngineer, I will be happy yo pass it to our documentation team :+1:

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member

Hi @ag_yaron,

This bug has still not been solved. Are you sure this with Apple or on your side?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @HRD ,
    This issue might occur with any or all extensions in Safari, not just 1Password. We do hope one of the next Safari updates will fix this.

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member

hi @ag_yaron,

Thanks and understood.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

:chuffed: :+1:

This discussion has been closed.