1Password fails to update when McAfee Application Control is enabled

When McAfee Application control is enabled it generates no errors and allows installation of 1Password if I were to download and install manually. However, when 1Password tries to update automatically, we get some events from McAfee but no errors. 1Password, however, fails to install and I don't know where to look for logs if any to find out why.

McAfee generated events when it's enabled:

'C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\1Password\update\7\1Password.exe' was unsolidified which was deleted by program C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\1Password\1PasswordSetup-7.9.822.exe(User: user, Workflow Id: SIGNED_UPDATER: 1Password).

McAfee explanation of the events:

"The event being recorded is considered normal behavior for McAfee Application and Change Control. When an updater creates or updates any files, MACC temporarily adds the files to the inventory. Files also included are non-executables (PE32 header). When updaters keep files open while the files change, MACC adds them to the allow list and then removes them from inventory. This process results in the event being generated and recorded in the Windows Event log."

This is the only clue we have. I am posting same question on McAfee support, but I thought I'd post it here where maybe you guys ran into this before or can tell me where to get more info on where and how the updater fails so we can provide more info to McAfee.

Thanks,
Ilya

1Password Version: 7.9.822
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 20H2

Comments

• Hey @Ilya Voloshin 👋

Generally-speaking, third party tools like McAfee tend to be a bit overzealous and like lock down entire installation directories, which will prevent applications from updating automatically, such as 1Password.

Whitelisting %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password\ within McAfee followed by a quick reboot of your machine should be all you need to do to get automatic updates rolling again.

Let me know if that helps! :chuffed:

• MichaelKlose
    MichaelKlose
    Community Member

Hope this will be fixed in 1Password. Whitelisting the folder is not option for users working in an enterprise. Problem is only happening with 1Password. Haven't seen a similar issue with other apps. 1Password update was not working anymore. After that I did a uninstall and tried to do a fresh install. Now I get the error "1Password was unable to complete installation and will roll back any changes." also for the fresh installation.

Best Regards
    Michael

• Ilya Voloshin
    Ilya Voloshin
    Community Member

My problem remains - I can install from installer, but the update fails.

• Hi @MichaelKlose - I can sympathize with your point of view, but this isn't something that's directly within our power to control. If a security product locks down 1Password's directory (meaning read / write permissions essentially no longer work there), there's nothing we can do to reverse that within the bounds of good security practices.

However, in enterprise environments, there should be an IT or security team that has the ability to adjust the specifics of how security policies are implemented. If you're still encountering that error, feel free to email us at support+windows@1Password.com and we can advise the responsible party on how to set things right so this error doesn't come up again. I hope this helps!

• Hi @Ilya Voloshin - I'd be happy to help you with this personally. Can you send us a quick email at support+windows@1Password.com? That way our team can help figure out what specifically in your setup might be the source of the issue (be sure to include a link to this thread, so that we know it's you, too). We'll look forward to your message!

• Ilya Voloshin
    Ilya Voloshin
    Community Member

@PeterG_1P I'm working with our network security people and really, this can only be tested when a new update is released. It'll have to wait until then.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Understood @Ilya Voloshin, please keep us posted :+1:

This discussion has been closed.