It's getting more & more confusing: 1PW for macOS, Safari ext., Touch ID, Masked E-Mail - best way?

Options

Hi,

first of all - thx for 1Password at all - really love it.

But it's getting more and more confusing and I don't know what the "right" way to use the app without being a "beta" user or a tester at all.

For me I'm using macOS and iOS devices and want to use 1PW with Touch ID, Face ID and also use the masked e-mail feature.

But as I found out (had to Google for it), the masked e-mail feature only works with the new 1Password for Safari (macOS).
Until now I only used the bundled Safari extension within 1PW 7.9 - so no masked mail support.

After installing the 1Password for Safari extension from the app store I do have two 1PW extensions within Safari (can disable but not delete the bundled version).

When using the new extension masked-e-mails are working.
But it's a complete new behavior in comparison with the actual bundled extension.

And a big downside... Touch ID isn't working (or I did not manage to get it working at all?!).

So my question:
What's the best way to use "stable" versions of 1Password to get masked e-mail working AND Touch ID working within macOS?

I, as an IT professional, already have problems with this stuff, so how am I supposed to explain this to my parents and friends?

Hope to get a feedback from your side.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.9 (70900001) 1Password Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 11.6

Comments

• @dragon1

Based on your initial post, it would appear that you have a pretty good understanding of the current options available, and some of the limitations that the companion Safari App Extension has when it comes to Fastmail integration.

As you've discovered, the Fastmail integration requires the new 1Password for Safari web extension. This version of 1Password for Safari does not integrate with 1Password 7, and will act as a standalone extension without biometric unlock. If you want to use biometrics for this version of 1Password in Safari, it can integrate with the 1Password 8 for Mac Early Access version.

If you wish to remain on the stable version of 1Password for Mac the best way to use the Fastmail integration feature is with either the standalone web extension in Safari or 1Password for your browser (in Chrome, Firefox, Brave or Microsoft Edge).

This discussion has been closed.