Restore from Time Machine

deanconstantine
deanconstantine
Community Member

I had an issue with the latest 10.8.3 update that could only be resolved by a trip to the Apple store and a wipe of my hard drive and reinstallation of the OS because I did not have a full backup from Time Machine prior to the update. Lesson learned. I have reinstalled 1Password and am trying to figure out how I can use the data from the Time Machine partial backups to restore my list of passwords, secure notes, etc.

Is there a way to do that?

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

If you've been syncing via Dropbox, just install Dropbox, wait for it to finish syncing, and then install 1Password. Your data will be detected automatically. :)

Otherwise, you can check the default location. The default location for 1Password 3.8 is:

~/Library/Application Support/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain

The default location in 1Password 3.9 (the version of 1Password from the Mac App Store) is:

~/Library/Containers/com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Documents/1Password.agilekeychain

I hope that helps. Please let me know.

• deanconstantine
    deanconstantine
    Community Member

I have not been syncing via dropbox. I was looking to pull the preferences from a time machine backup of my hard drive, but I am not finding the file in either location you mentioned. Is this supposed to be within the user file itself?

• craigvl
    craigvl
    Community Member

Yes I am having the same issue, my hard drive has crashed and it seems that my time machine backup does not contain any agilekeychain file? This is a major issue since I had my life in 1password under the impression that at least time machine would have a copy of all my passwords? Any help would be appreciated. I dont think that this is made clear enough if I have to now live with the fact that 1password is not included in time machine backups.

• justbeu
    justbeu
    Community Member

I am also having this issue. Time Machine has not been creating a 1Password folder in ~/Library/Application Support/ ... Please help us restore all of our important information stored in your expensive product!!

• Hi guys,

Time Machine is supposed to back up your ~/Library/ folder by default, you might want to check your Time Machine's Preferences to ensure it is not excluding that folder. If it is, then that means it was told to never back up that folder and the 1Password folder won't be in your backups.

Now, to be clear, are you guys using 1Password 3.8.x from our website or 1Password 3.9.x from the Mac App Store? The location differs for both apps.

Please do this:

1. Open a Finder window and select Go to Folder from the Go menu. Type this in the input field depending on which version you have and then press Return:

If you bought it from our website, 3.8.x: ~/Library/Application Support/

If you bought it from Mac App Store, 3.9.x: ~/Library/Containers

Make sure you don't exclude ~ at the beginning and those folders should exist regardless of 1Password not being in there.

2. Activate Time Machine and see if you can go back in time until you see:

3.8.x: 1Password folder showing up

3.9.x: com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper showing up.

Once they do, restore the folder and see if 1Password opens up with your data. If not and it is asking for your data file, go to the File Menu > Restore and see if there are a list of backups you can select to restore from.

This discussion has been closed.