Number of items not appearing next to items

Options
gohabsgo
gohabsgo
Community Member

Hello 1Password, I just migrated from 1Password 7 to 8 Beta. So far it's great but I have a question. I am using the Windows 10 1Password app.

On my main page I always like seeing the number appearing next to the item, for example in the old system it would say ( this is just an example).

All items - 537
Logins - 499
Secure notes - 27
Documents - 11
Credit cards - 7

Is there a way for this to show? ( I would like to see all these again and the number of entries next to it).

Also, I am not ready to switch back to 1Password 7 yet as I am getting the feel of 1Password 8 Beta but is there a way to switch back if I decide to?

1Password Version: 8.4.0
Extension Version: 80400010
OS Version: W10
Referrer: forum-search:numbers appearing

Β«1

Comments

• Thanks @gohabsgo, that's great feedback. We've heard the same from other users and we're working on it. Keep an eye on 1Password 8, we've got more coming every release!

We hope you'll stick with 1Password 8, but if you need to switch back to 1Password 7, let us know.

• gohabsgo
    gohabsgo
    Community Member
    edited October 2021
    Options

Great to hear. I will wait to see the other releases then I will decide if I switch back but I like the new UI.

• @gohabsgo We're so glad you like it! Thanks for helping us make 1Password 8 even better πŸ’œ

• gohabsgo
    gohabsgo
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_andrew - hello Andrew, could you please switch my account back to 1Password 7?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@gohabsgo:

You can download 1Password 7 from our website here anytime :+1: After you have install it, you can uninstall 1Password 8, nothing needs to be done on your account.

• gohabsgo
    gohabsgo
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you

• OLCE
    OLCE
    Community Member
    Options

I just started testing the beta 8.x version on my second workstation
    I've the same comment as the topic starter, I'm missing the number of items for each category/tag/.....
    This is a significant cosmetic shortcoming for myself
    Is there any reason this was dropped in the first place, or just forgotten in the new release?

• @OLCE

The item counts are located at the bottom of each section in the middle column at this time. I can't speak to them appearing back in the sidebar. Perhaps. So that I can pass along your feedback can you elaborate on why you found it helpful in this location?

• OLCE
    OLCE
    Community Member
    Options

I know, I saw that, but it is not really convenient... for me at least, I very much liked the ability to have the "one-eyed" overview of all counts.
    For example, I use some tags to do maintenance on my entries, so seeing the number behind a tag tells me that I've to check those entries, etc.... The tags and custom categories were one of the strong reasons why I switched from Dashlane to 1password (although Dashlane still has better "watchtower" features)
    I've categories with over 400 items... that is a lot of scrolling each time I want to know the count.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @OLCE !

I would love to see the count of items in the sidebar, too. As a workaround, you could click the sort button on top of the list of items. Here you will see the count of all items in the current selection.

Maybe this helps?

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member
    Options

I really wish (like already said in another thread) AgileBits would just use the standard way of showing item counts, i. e. just next to the item. Additionaly add a menu option in the view menu to show/hide the item counts.
    Yes, it's another configuration option that has to be tested but considering how much time you already spent on "reinventing the wheel" it might be better and less time consuming to follow the well known way...

• rob
    Options

@DenalB smart! I don't think I'd even noticed that yet.

@OLCE thanks for describing your use case. I've passed that on to the team.

@viswiz FWIW, I'm on team sidebar-item-counts too, just because I'm familiar with it. That said, "standard" isn't really a thing, at least in current Apple apps. Finder shows item counts at the bottom of the window. The Contacts app shows the count at the bottom of the list. The Notes app shows counts in a sidebar if you have that sidebar showing. The Mail app shows unread counts in the sidebar and full count at the top of the list. It's just all over the place.

We just want to pick the best option for our app and users. For now, I've left another comment internally advocating for the sidebar option. 😎

ref: dev/core/core#9298

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member
    Options

@rob the problem with standards is that there are way to many of them 😊 - https://xkcd.com/927/
    All your examples are kinds of item counts but with different use cases. The Finder uses a status bar that not only shows item counts but free space available too. It's like those status bars in editors or word processor that show cursor position, word counts and so on. Mails counters at the top of the list are another kind of status bar showing all mails and all unread mails next to each other.
    Another approach is used by Notes, Mail, Devonthink and several other applications that have item counts in sidebars. Their implementation and style is very similar although the count shown is not always a simple item count. In Notes it shows the number of item in a group, in mail it's the unread mails.
    I haven't found item counts in Contacts.
    In 1Password item counts would fit quite well into the Notes/Mail approach. Maybe the new appearance preferences category could get a show/hide item counts checkboxπŸ˜‰

• ag_tommy
    edited April 2022
    Options

@DenalB

Nice one on displaying the counts. I've never noticed that. Maybe I did but did not register it. At any rate well done.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

@rob & @ag_tommy

Great to help you with this... 😁

• rob
    Options

(Here's Contacts)

I agree the use cases are all slightly different. I think 1Password is most similar to Notes and Contacts, which are different from each other. :)

• bwadm
    bwadm
    Community Member
    Options

I am also with team sidebar-item-counts, just because I'm familiar with it ...
    Or in other words: implement it in the same way as it was solved in 1P7. All (almost) 1P8 users will be familiar with that solution.
    As stated before: there is no reason to reinvent the wheel.
    My view: just different is not better!

• Thanks, @bwadm. We appreciate your feedback on the design!

• wagnerone
    wagnerone
    Community Member
    edited May 2022
    Options

First thing I came to ask about is the item count in the sidebar. I find it disturbing that it's no longer there. Having it at the bottom of a tag list of records isn't super useful. Especially if I have a lot of tags each with hundreds of items in them and have to scroll to the bottom of each tag individually to see it.

• rob
    Options

Hey, @wagnerone. Thanks for the feedback. In case you missed it, there is an easier way to see the count without scrolling to the bottom of the list:

• wagnerone
    wagnerone
    Community Member
    Options

It's nice that it's at the bottom and at the top, but the one at the top requires more work to get to. Having it buried there is, I think, less useful to me than the exposed one at the bottom. Both reduce the usefulness compared the former style. Having it next to each sidebar item provided a quick means of globally scanning a list of sidebar items to get a quick idea of record breakdown. I could easily scan the list and, with tags of similar names, get an idea which one to drill down into based on the count.

• Thank you, @wagnerone. We appreciate the continued feedback! πŸ™Œ

• wagnerone
    wagnerone
    Community Member
    edited May 2022
    Options

As a 1P Teams admin, I also used those sidebar counts as lightweight method of gaining quick insight into the use of vaults, tags, etc.

For example, I could easily do something like, "well, this vault I made the special request of so and so has 1 (or 0) item in it."

I can then ask if they really need it and possibly clean up our vault list.

Same for tags - if a project tag has very few items in it compared to another, similar project tag, I know something is amiss and some records probably weren't properly captured into 1P.

• OAW
    OAW
    Community Member
    edited May 2022
    Options

As a member of "Team Item Counts In the Sidebar" I will point out that I've yet to see anyone on this forum advocate for them not to be there. Except 1PW Devs. That's not to say I couldn't have missed other customers who expressed an opposing view. But if I did I certainly don't recall. And I'm all for an option to display or hide them. Just saying ....

• PeterG_1P
    edited May 2022
    Options

Thank you, @wagnerone and @OAW. We do take your feedback into account!

ref: dev/core/core#9298

• OLCE
    OLCE
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,
    is there any update as to what the response was from the dev team to our comment or request?

• Ben
    Options

As a member of "Team Item Counts In the Sidebar" I will point out that I've yet to see anyone on this forum advocate for them not to be there. Except 1PW Devs. That's not to say I couldn't have missed other customers who expressed an opposing view. But if I did I certainly don't recall. And I'm all for an option to display or hide them. Just saying ....

It isn't super often that people take the time to register for a forum and post feedback indicating that a feature they don't care about isn't present. People tend to speak up when things aren't working the way they want, not vice versa. πŸ˜ƒ I also don't see anyone posting on Apple's forum in support of the fact that Contacts.app doesn't have item counts in the sidebar. I'm not sure that is a meaningful metric, to be honest.

is there any update as to what the response was from the dev team to our comment or request?

There are no plans to add item counts to the sidebar at this time, however we're happy to continue to gather feedback and try to make a case.

Ben

• OLCE
    OLCE
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,
    The issue here is that it was present in version 7, and removed in version 8, why or what was the reason to remove it?

The count is present at the bottom of the list of items, why not add it back to the categories and tags? Or if that is too difficult, instead of the bottom, show it on top of the list, that should not be all to complex for the devs. Just don't make us scroll down hundreds of entries to see the count.

You may not consider it a meaningful metric, but when you have several hundreds of items in categories and tagged, it is very relevant to those users. In my case, it (tagging) is part of my secops workflow.

Comparing it with the contacts app in IOS does not really make sense, they are completely different functionalities and the contact app does not have categories nor tags
    But if you like to compare :

• talking about contacts apps ..... Google contacts (on most apps) has the count on top of the list, same for the Microsoft contacts panel = visible at first sight
    • Lastpass (in most of their apps) has the count per group or category on top of the list in the main panel = visible at first sight
  • Hi @OLCE, thanks for this feedback. πŸ‘‹

I can understand why you wouldn't want to scroll to the bottom of a large list if you have lots of items. If you click the downward-pointing arrow in the top-right corner of your item list, it will say "< # > items sorted by ". Is that helpful for your use case?

We're always interested in the details of how well the app design naturally aligns with your needs (or not), so we appreciate the chance to chat with you about it!

This discussion has been closed.