Number of items not appearing next to items

2»

Comments

• wagnerone
    wagnerone
    Community Member
    edited July 2022

@OLCE - there are a lot of features "removed" from/missing (or however one wants to describe it) in v8 when compared to v7.

It's super frustrating and getting the features that some of us think are quite important and we've come to rely on for years (incorporating into elaborate workflows, etc.) back seems like a lost cause.

It's vexing, but we are treading water for the time being with 1Password until we figure out what to do. :(

• OLCE
    OLCE
    Community Member

@PeterG_1P that does not make a lot of difference, because it is equally "hidden" as having the number at the bottom.
    I don't really understand why it is such a problem to make it "visible at first sight"
    If you can show it at the bottom of the list, why not move it to the top of the list.......

• OLCE
    OLCE
    Community Member

@wagnerone - Well, that seems to be happening with a lot of tools, just like here, it seems that new features did have a cost of reduced UX quality.

I'm not sure how much of the community gets to the ears and eyes of the dev team.
    Maybe it only works if there are enough "requesting people" or "complaints"

For example, I never got any reply on suggestions to improve watchtower : https://1password.community/discussion/125252/watchtower-compromised-websites-or-better-compromised-data

• robert1p
    robert1p
    Community Member

I'd like to add my vote for the sidebar count. (As it is now, I open my Android app to quickly see the counts. But this is far from ideal, and I fear they might remove it from that app if they are looking for consistency.)

• volts
    volts
    Community Member
    edited July 2022

This is a genuine & non-snarky question -

My use case for having item count next to items is this: When doing vault item management, visible item count for all vaults provides a small confirmation that I've made my intended changes.

(I do understand the arguments against putting item count next to items: visual clutter; keeping those counts updated.)

But I don't understand the "user story" for putting item count at the bottom of the list. What purpose does that serve? Who is that useful to?

It's dreadfully inconvenient when doing vault item management. Changes aren't visible immediately, only one count is visible at a time, and multiple clicks are required. It isn't possible to use the keyboard Page Down or End to scroll to the count - it's a weird bit of UI/UX, and it remains off-screen. So the mouse must be used.

• wagnerone
    wagnerone
    Community Member
    edited July 2022

@volts That was my use case for it I mentioned in a couple places, including this list of "lost features" - https://1password.community/discussion/comment/642795/#Comment_642795

I very much agree having those to quickly, visually scan the "state" of things was quite useful. Every other app in the world has them, right? If you don't like the "clutter", toggle it off in the preferences.

Based on the reluctance to acknowledge such or sincere consideration to re-instate this feature, I have to guess, like many of the "lost features", it's not easy to implement in the Electron code base v8 is built on.

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member

This is one example of how much AgileBits has changed recently. Instead of using a widely accepted solution - item counts next to the elements with an on/off option - they insist an making things differently. Even worse for a very short period of time 1PW8 nightlies had the widely accepted standard item count implementation.
    Part of the problem might be that they try to have pixel perfect UI clones on all supported platforms instead using the strengths of each platform.

This discussion has been closed.