Unlocking accounts in 1password 8 for Windows

Options
plindeman
plindeman
Community Member
edited November 2021 in Windows

I have two active accounts in 1Password. My own family account and an account of my work. In 1password 7 both accounts unlocked when I unlocked my private account and could leave it unlocked for 8 hours. Nice for a working day. Now in 1password 8 I have to unlock them both and after a max timeout of two hours they both are locked again.
Can you please restore the good functionality of 1Password 7 again?

Thanks!

Peter

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @plindeman!

This is the correct behavior in 1Password 8, but you can restore the behavior you are used to in 1Password 7. Please see this post from my colleague Jack (and the next one in the same discussion) for all the details :+1:

• plindeman
    plindeman
    Community Member
    Options

That post definitely does not describe how to restore behavior of 1Password 7. It says to change the master password to be the same in both accounts. Hopefully it can be fixed in an upcoming release.

• Hello @plindeman , this was a security design decision for 1Password 8. I have put in a request for a change back to the 1Password 7 model on your behalf, but this is something that we've considered, and we think that the current approach clears up a number of issues.

If you're interested in the details, Jeffrey Goldberg (our Principal Security Architect) discusses that here: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/608291/#Comment_608291

I hope this approach - "no account is unlocked without its account password" - makes sense. We want to ensure that we're covering all our metaphorical bases in our security implementations, and this is something that our security experts determined needed to change.

However, we absolutely appreciate your point about lock times. I have added your comments here to an existing request for more granular lock options (including longer lock times), and hope to have more for you on that as we go forward with future updates. 👍

ref: dev/core/core#9398

• BramBE
    BramBE
    Community Member
    edited November 2021
    Options

Hi Peter and Ana,

I have the same issue.

Concering the workaround described above:
    I don't want to change the password of my work account to the same password as my personal account. This makes both less secure since you can use the same password anywhere to unlock any of them.
    (as opposed to having one password to unlock a certain 1password version on a single machine).

The current setup is very annoying.
    When you use the browser login, you login into one account. But if I then want to login to my other account, I can't do this in the browser afaik.
    I have to open the 1password desktop application, go to accounts and unlock my second account there. (I don't even think you can unlock a second vault in the settings of the browser extension)
    Mind that default they only stay open for 10 minutes of inactivity.

This makes the new version very hard to use properly.
    If at least it would be very easy to log into multiple vaults from the browser extension, this would mitigate most of the need for the old fuctionality.

• BramBE
    BramBE
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Peter and Ana,

I have the same issue.

Concering the workaround described above:
    I don't want to change the password of my work account to the same password as my personal account. This makes both less secure since you can use the same password anywhere to unlock any of them.
    (as opposed to having one password to unlock a certain 1password version on a single machine).

The current setup is very annoying.
    When you use the browser login, you login into one account. But if I then want to login to my other account, I can't do this in the browser afaik.
    I have to open the 1password desktop application, go to accounts and unlock my second account there. (I don't even think you can unlock a second vault in the settings of the browser extension)
    Mind that default they only stay open for 10 minutes of inactivity.

This makes the new version very hard to use properly.
    If at least there would be a way to easily log into a second account from the browser extension part that pops up when you try to enter a password, this would mitigate most of the need for the old functionality.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the additional feedback @BramBE, I will be happy to pass it to the developers for you :+1:

• BurningOutside
    BurningOutside
    Community Member
    Options

@BramBE
    That's basically what I was asking for in the EA discussion I started as well which @ag_ana linked earlier.
    https://1password.community/discussion/comment/619717/#Comment_619717

• Ben
    Options

:+1: :)

Ben

• plindeman
    plindeman
    Community Member
    Options

And now we wait for the update 👍🏼

This discussion has been closed.