8. How to export to .csv???

Hi all :)

I want to export my vault as a backup to a .csv file.

When I try exporting I get a .1pux file (whatever that is??). Is it still possible to export to .csv? If not it is very disappointing! If yes, how?

Cheers

1Password Version: 8.4.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 11

Comments

• OK. It's a 1password specific backup file. But, if it's no longer possible to export to a format such as a .csv that is a very bad move!! 👎👎

• This is a deal breaker for me. I want to have an escape hatch out of 1password if for whatever reason I can't or don't want to use it anymore. If I am not able to export my data into a format that makes me independent from 1password I am basically taken hostage by the software. Not a fan at all.

• J.MJ.M
    edited November 25

As far as I know .1pux is the successor of .1pif. 7-zip can "unzip" it. It's unencrypted so it is human readable and will probably end up being supported by other password managers. I just verified and yes, once unzipped there will be an export.data file that you can open in a text editor. Maybe it's not easy to read for the non-initiated but one thing is sure, everything is in clear.

AgileBits will add .1pex later for encrypted export, and I imagine they will eventually add support for other formats. Of course, 1Password 7 still works so it's still possible to export using this until .1pux is supported by other password solutions or a CSV export is integrated.

I'm not too bothered by this at the moment, I know 1Password 8 is quite new and built using completely different technologies, it will take time before some features return.

• PeterG_1PPeterG_1P

Team Member
    edited November 25

Hi @brettn, thanks for asking this. I'm happy to assist from here.

To start, @J.M is correct: currently in 1Password 8 for Windows you can export in the 1PUX format, which is unencrypted and should not be a big deal for other password managers to import. It is also human-readable, as mentioned.

However, the current export functionality in 1Password 8 also isn't as full-featured as it's going to be - for example, you noticed there isn't a menu option to export to .CSV right now. Our developers are working on further building out that export feature, and our hope and intent is that the result will be more flexible and powerful than what was available in 1Password 7.

In the short term, though, if you want to export to .CSV you'll need to do it from 1Password 7. I do apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, and want to stress that we understand you should be able to take your data wherever you want. It's your data, not ours!

If you run into a situation in which you can't export the data you need, using versions 7 or 8, let me know and our team will be happy to assist you personally. We'll make sure there's a solution for you.

• PeterG_1PPeterG_1P

Team Member
    edited November 25

I should say that this goes for anyone else who needs to export, as well:

• You can still export just the way you used to from 1Password 7
    • You can export to 1PUX in 1Password 8, currently
    • You can expect to see more updates from us on expanded 1Password 8 export functionality ahead 👀
    • If you have a 1PUX file and need to import, you can do that at 1Password.com
    • If you run into a situation in which for some reason you can't export your data in a way that's useable to you, let us know and we'll help you out. 👍

You will never be "trapped" in 1Password, and we have no interest in ever doing something like that.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file