Right click Generate Password gone

knappster
knappster
Community Member

Hi,
Liking the new look for v8 however one feature that I always used seems to have gone. In the old version you could right click the icon in the task bar and select Generate Password to quickly generate a unique password, I can't seem to do this in v8. Has this functionality gone now? If so what's the easiest way for generating passwords, I normally use this for non web based passwords.

1Password Version: 8.4.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: windows 10

Comments

• Thanks for this, @knappster. 🙂 I have passed this along to our developers as an area of potential improvement. While I can't say what features will make it into future versions of 1Password, we do act on customer feedback like this - and really appreciate you letting us know how things could be improved. Many thanks!

And the password generator is currently located in the 1Password browser extension, where it can be used to generate passwords for non-web applications too.

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests/#804

• froid_san
    froid_san
    Community Member

Having the same issue, I always use the generate password from the app since I manage web servers.

Can't believe an essential feature for a password manager is removed and I have to open a browser extension just to have access to it, which is more easy for other to hack than an app. I believe both should have this feature.

It's such an integral part for some users and me that I might check for alternative password managers if this basic feature is not returned.

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member

+1 for bringing it back to the main application (including qr code scanner). I quite often generate passwords for non web related services. Why am I forced to use a web browser now when it's not web related?

• Philipbm
    Philipbm
    Community Member

Yes, yes, yes! Cannot understand how anybody would have thought this feature should be removed. Really? We all have so many requirements for generating passwords that have nothing to do with web sites, why do we have to open a browser to get to a password generator? Really bad mistake. Please bring this right-click feature back to the Windows standalone version.

• Hi @Philipbm, I have added a vote on your behalf for this feature as mentioned in response to your post here.

• SomeoneAwesome
    SomeoneAwesome
    Community Member
    edited May 2022

I hope this generate password command can be added to the quick quick access - the first thing I did when I saw it was type "Generate Password" and "New Item" in it but it currently only shows existing items.

Really liking the new quick access btw. - so much better and more intuitive than the small popup window.

• AliH1P
    edited May 2022

Hey @SomeoneAwesome, thanks for your comment.

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying Quick Access so far 😄

I'll be sure to add your voice to the internal request we have opened for the password generator.

Ali

IDEA-I-298

This discussion has been closed.