Please restore the ability to paste or drag and drop a new item icon

Options

In 1Password 7, I could drag and drop an app onto the item's icon to set it. I could also select the icon and then paste an image from the pasteboard to set it. This is gone in 1Password 8 and I really miss it!

1Password Version: 80500025, on NIGHTLY channel
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12

Comments

• Hey @Chris Messina:

Thanks for your feedback on this, I can definitely see how it would be handy when editing a software license or similar. I've added your input as a feature request, to see if we can get this added in the future. Thanks again!

Jack

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#1092

• Chris,

I've just followed up with the dev team, and while it's not dragging and dropping or pasting an item icon in, we do already have something that would serve much the same purpose! When editing a item, you should be able to select "Choose new icon..." by mousing over the default icon, and then in the file picker, select a .app file. 1Password for Mac will grab the icon from the application and set it as the custom icon. Let me know how you get on with that!

Jack

• Chris Messina
    Chris Messina
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, your process does work, but it's 67% slower than 1Password 7. 1Password 8 should be better, stronger, faster. Not a regression.

Thanks for the interim solution, but do push the team to move forward, not back! :wink:

• Of course! :smile:

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member
    Options

I prefer drag and drop too because it's just easier to use and much faster.

• We do agree and pasting via clipboard helps too because you could copy an image from the web browser and paste it in as there is no file to select or drag from the file system.

In some apps, you can't drag an image but you can copy it, so having more options will make it more flexible to all sorts of use cases.

We will add more options in time as we continue to improve our custom icon support in 1Password 8. That's why you see the little dropdown icon as we plan to expand that to include a few more options like we did in 1Password 7 for Windows.

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member
    Options

Add me to the list. Drag and dropping is by far the easiest, then comes copy and paste — and I used both approaches extensively in 1P7. The present option is tedious to say the least :-\

Corentin

• Hey @cortig:

Thanks for your input here, I've added you as well.

Jack

This discussion has been closed.