Access to Created Passwords When Editing Logins

Whenever I create a new login, I use the password generator in the browser extension. I have "Enable Autosave of Logins in Browser" unchecked because I find that I always have to edit login info anyway (i.e. changing the URL away from the 'sign up' page where I first enter the info), and on sites where I don't want to save the prompt can be annoying. When I go to edit my new login, I always need to make a trip to the "Generated Passwords" section to copy the password-- usually I forget to do this until I've already named the new login and entered some information. This process is a little bit of a hassle because I need to look up the login I'm editing all over again in the Logins section to enter the generated password. I propose making recently generated passwords more accessible from the Login edit form. Thanks!

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

We never really recommend creating Logins in the main 1Password application, but I'll pass your vote along. :)

Instead, what I'd recommend — it's a workflow you can use right now — is to visit the site's Login page and fill the Generated Password right into the web form:

1. Click the "View password history" button in the extension's Password Generator
    2. Your most recently generated password will be listed at the tip. Click to fill.

Don't forget to enter your username. :)

Then if you have autosave enabled you'll be prompted to save the Login.

If you don't have autosubmit enabled, then just click the + button in the upper right corner of the extension to manually save the information you have filled into the form as a Login item. (You need to do this before submitting the form.)

In short, always create a Login item where you intend to fill it: the site's Login page. You can easily fill previously generated passwords there using "View password history".

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help!

This discussion has been closed.