No rich icon for some websites in 1Password 7

Options
Phorusfc
Phorusfc
Community Member

some website rich icon are not catched in 1P, and the others are the previous version icon. But When I using Bitwarden, it could get the icon from the same website. I think it maybe the cache issue, how should I clean the cache of 1P totally, or is there other way to resolve the icon issue? Thanks in advance!

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.9.1 (70901007)
Extension Version: 2.1.4
OS Version: macOS 12.0.1
Referrer: forum-search:website icon

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Phorusfc!

I think it maybe the cache issue, how should I clean the cache of 1P totally

Can you try toggling the Use Rich Icons setting in 1Password Preferences > General tab, and see if that helps?

• Phorusfc
    Phorusfc
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_ana, thanks for replying!

Can you try toggling the Use Rich Icons setting in 1Password Preferences > General tab, and see if that helps?

Yes...I toggled it and tried to restart the softeware and device, it didn't work. I also installed the v8 beta, and there was the same issue.

• Hi @Phorusfc:

Thanks for confirming that you were still running into this with 1Password 8. Rich icons come from our database, rather than being pulled directly from the website's favicon. In this case, it appears that the website you're referencing does not appear to be in our rich icon database. For more details on how Rich Icons work, see here: About rich icons and your privacy

However, I will file an issue to see if we can add this website to the rich icon database in the future. Thanks!

Jack

ref: dev/projects/rich-icons-issues#916

• Phorusfc
    Phorusfc
    Community Member
    edited December 2021
    Options

Hi @jack.platten!

Thanks for your action! So from my understanding, the rich icon in 1P depends on the your database, but many data are the earlier version or even no data?

Just curious, why don't we just using the website's favicon, it's the most convenient way and latest version?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Phorusfc:

So from my understanding, the rich icon in 1P depends on the your database, but many data are the earlier version or even no data?

That's correct :+1:

Just curious, why don't we just using the website's favicon, it's the most convenient way and latest version?

If I remember correctly, this is also a security reason because by using our own server, you don't expose which websites you are contacting while you are using 1Password. The other reason is that this way we can have a curated way of icons that could be of higher quality than the favicons.

• Phorusfc
    Phorusfc
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana:
    Thanks for confirming!
    It makes sense to use 1P server for the security. But the existing database seems not qualitied enough 😂 some icon are years ago verison. I think it's a good way to let volunteers help contain this.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That is a good suggestion, I will be happy to pass it to the developers @Phorusfc :+1:

This discussion has been closed.