1Password Mini Not Copying Shown Password

Options
Kirkvan
Kirkvan
Community Member
edited December 2021 in Mac

For a while I thought I was loosing my mind, but I just caught 1Password Mini not copying the generated password it shows.

For example, I just clicked on the 1Password Mini icon (Mac, running Monterey 12.0.1 and 1Password 7.9.1) and then the "Generate Password" button. I use "Memorable Passwords" with periods separating the words. The Password Generator offers a password such as cadenza.PARALLAX.primer, but when I click the "Copy and Save" button and then go paste the password elsewhere, it pastes something completely different: key.neckband.ARID. This is reproducible.

I just had my wife try and the first time she tried, 1Password Mini displayed and pasted the same thing. Second/third attempts did not display and paste the same password as shown in 1Password Mini.

The good news is the saved passwords in the 1Password app do reflect what was actually copied/saved, vs
what was displayed at the time.

I'm including screenshots...

Thanks for having a look at this.

Kirk out

Here's 1Password Mini:

And here's what got copied to the Clipboard:

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @Kirkvan! 👋

I'm sorry that you ran into an issue generating passwords using 1Password mini on your Mac. I confirm that I can reproduce the same issue on my end and I see that our developers are already aware of the bug and are investigating. I've added your report of the bug to our internal work item so that our developers are aware.

Thank you for taking the time to report the issue and I'm sorry again for the inconvenience.

ref: dev/apple/issues#5262

• Kirkvan
    Kirkvan
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Dave_1P - it's always nice to get confirmation of a bug like this (oops, did I say "bug"?) and I'm glad to know it's on the list of stuff to get fixed.

Be well,

Kirk out

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of Dave, you are welcome @Kirkvan, and thank you for the report :+1:

• Kirkvan
    Kirkvan
    Community Member
    Options

Hello,

Here in Mid-January, I'm still seeing this bug. I'm running 1Password 7.9.2 (70902005), so the 1Password app has been updated once since my original, post back in December. Might there be any news? When I enable "beta versions", I see a 7.9.3 beta available, but it only lists one fix: "Beta build to restore SideKick and Arc browsers support." Is anyone able to confirm if the latest beta fixes the 'not copying shown password' bug?

Many thanks,

• @Kirkvan

Looks like this one still needs a little love. I was able to reproduce the issue on 7.9.3 beta 0

• Kirkvan
    Kirkvan
    Community Member
    edited January 2022
    Options

Thanks @ag_tommy for the confirmation that I'm not loosing my mind (at least on this topic!) ;^)

We still believe the 1Password devs are aware of this and presumably 'on it'?

• @Kirkvan

I'm afraid I do not know exactly what issues the dev team is working on. I can tell you it is indeed an open issue on our end.

• Kirkvan
    Kirkvan
    Community Member
    Options

I was referring to the original reply above by @Dave_1P who said: "and I see that our developers are already aware of the bug and are investigating". I presume your comment above about "...an open issue on our end", as well as the quote is an indication that it's still on the list of things to fix?

• ag_tommy
    edited January 2022
    Options

Yes, it is open for investigation and from there it will move onto a fix phase from what I see. I found it weird when I first tried to reproduce the issue you experienced I was unable to do so, but after that one initial attempt I could reproduce it easily. It's certainly a weird issue and one worthy of a fix in my opinion. Hopefully, they can get this one behind us.

Edit: I could be within the first or second phase. The dev team often have ongoing research into issues. It could also be something like one fix must be implemented before this one can be resolved.

• Kirkvan
    Kirkvan
    Community Member
    Options

Hello - here in mid-May, this bug remains. It is incredibly disconcerting and terribly confusing for many 1Password users. Would someone at AgileBits please provide an update?

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Kirkvan

1Password 8 for Mac is out now. Among other things, this entire workflow has been re-thought. I'd suggest giving it a spin. 😃

1Password 8 for Mac is here! 🎉🙌

Ben

• Kirkvan
    Kirkvan
    Community Member
    edited May 2022
    Options

Thanks @Ben. A few notes/comments:

1. As an avid 1Password user and consultant, I have been out of town for 2 weeks and missed the 1Password 8 launch entirely. My bad. That said, why doesn't the "Check for Updates" in 1Password 7 announce that 1Password 8 is available? If getting users to upgrade is a goal, it seems like that would be a good place to let folks know.

2. Wow. OK, 1Password 8 is definitely prettier. Well done.

3. What happened to the "Password Generator" in 1Password Mini? I don't even see anything to create a random password anywhere in the 1Password 8 app either. Where would one go to generate a new random password (i.e. for something I don't need to save in 1Password)?

4. Are "Favorites" in the menu bar version of 1Password a thing of the past? Am I following that we're just using the 1Password app now?

5. Other than a Control-click, I don't see a way to restore an item from the Archive. Am I missing something?

6. If you enable the setting to reveal passwords when the Option key is down, it doesn't seem to work in the Password History for an item.

7. 1Password 8 doesn't seem to lock upon quit. I see the setting to lock upon sleep, screensaver and switching users, but it seems like lock on quit is no longer there?

Thanks for your help!

Kirk out

• @Kirkvan Restore Item should be more discoverable. It's also available from the "overflow" menu in the item detail view, but I've filed an issue make it easier to find.

How would you like to access your favorites that you're not seeing in version 8?

Thanks!

• Kirkvan
    Kirkvan
    Community Member
    Options

It looks like we're calling what was "1Password Mini" the "Quick Access Panel" now? If so, it might be nice to have the option to show ALL of your logins, and/or just Favorites here:

Also 1: it would be nice to have those items clickable, in addition to being keyboard shortcuts.

Also 2: I'm curious about my other questions above.

Thanks!

Kirk our

• Hey @Kirkvan ! Let me see if I can speak to some more of your comments/questions.

...why doesn't the "Check for Updates" in 1Password 7 announce that 1Password 8 is available ...

We are trying roll out the update over time for folks. Everyone should see the update in the coming weeks.

Wow. OK, 1Password 8 is definitely prettier. Well done.

Thank you! As one of the designers on the team that's really good to hear :)

What happened to the "Password Generator" in 1Password Mini? ...

The new Quick Access feature does not currently have a password generator, you can either create a new item in the main app and use the generator linked to the password fields there, or use the browser extension popover to get a password generator without needing to create a new item. With Quick Access we rethought a lot around what people were looking for in an interface designed around quickly getting in and out of 1Password to get what is needed without taking a person away from their current tasks. A lot of folks found the interface and use cases around 1Password mini confusing, and unclear in places, and we wanted to really look at it from ground zero and work to make it's UI clear and focused while still exposing the power behind it for folks to find. After a ton of user interviews, a number of user tests, and a bunch of other research, Quick Access was born. You can see a lot around our thinking there in the new 1Password 8 for Mac page, or in the Quick Access support article.

All of that said, we're actively looking at feedback like yours and working out how to continue to make it even better! So thanks a lot for writing in with some of your pain points.

If you enable the setting to reveal passwords when the Option key is down, it doesn't seem to work in the Password History for an item

I'm seeing this too, I will make sure to get an issue filed with our dev team and hopefully we can get that fixed soon. Thanks!

1Password 8 doesn't seem to lock upon quit ...

We simplified our auto-lock options a bit in version 8 due to confusion around some points that we were seeing and wanting to make them as clear as possible. With 1Password running from the menu bar, in the browser extensions, and the main app, having it "lock on quit" meant a lot of different things to different people and whichever we chose ended up not being what a lot of folks expected. Locking when the computer went to sleep, or after a specific amount of idle time is what we saw as the most beneficial, and least confusing. You can also lock manually at any time with the menu bar command, or with the Shift+Command+L keyboard shortcut. Is locking when you close the main app window ("quit") something you are missing?

Thanks again for taking the time!

• Dan, Staff Designer at 1Password
  • Kirkvan
    Kirkvan
    Community Member
    edited May 2022
    Options

Hi @danvpeterson,

I'm appreciating this conversation and the opportunty(ies) to make 1Password even 'gooder' ;^). I've been a Mac consultant for the past 35 years and have installed 1Password for countless clients. Making it simpler, easier to use and cleaner is definitely my goal as well.

I think simplifying is sometimes a good thing. In the case of taking a bunch of functionality out of a feature rich interface such as 1Password Mini, I'm not so sure. I'm definitely missing the Password Generator up there, one click away in my Mac's menu bar. Going to the browser extension for the Password Generator is, to me, about as un-intuitive as it gets. Here are two hands high up, waving radically for my vote to add the Password Generator (back) to the Quick Access window in the menu bar. I would also like to see the Password Generator somewhere easy to find in the app too. I'd also like to see an option to filter the Quick Access view into my favorites or 'all items' as well.

As for lock on quit, I definitely* think that's a security risk. If I quit an app which is a vault containing all of my mission critical passwords and personal information, I _absolutely**_ expect that data to be locked and to be asked for my master password (or TouchID) to open/view that app again the next time it gets launched. Imagine leaving your laptop somewhere, you forget to sleep or lock the screen and someone launches 1Password, giving them access to ALL of your logins, etc. That seems like what we call a "bad thing", no?

Thanks again for this conversation and your open attitude towards listening to your users (and in my case, someone who helps support your users!)

Kirk out

• Kirkvan
    Kirkvan
    Community Member
    Options

Oh yeah, and one more thing...

I'd like to see the "suggested password" 1Password presents in a browser when changing a password reflect the preference for password "type". For example, some users prefer "Memorable Passwords" (a number of words, separated by periods), and it would be good if 1Password suggested those, vs. "Smart Password" or "Random Password".

Also, while I appreciate the options in the "Memorable Password" generator to "Capitalize" and "Use Full Words", I'd like to see two additional options: a) Add a random digit and b) Add a special character (both of which are required by many sites these days).

Thanks!

Kirk out

• Kirkvan
    Kirkvan
    Community Member
    Options

And an additional observation of some inconsistent keyboard shortcut behavior:

If you use Command - Shift - Spacebar, you get the QuickAccess window. Pressing that key combination a second time makes the Quick Access window close. This is good.

I'm in the habit of using Command \ (from back in the 1Password Mini days - like yesterday!), so I configured the "Fill in Browser" keyboard shortcut to use Command . Pressing Command \ brings up the Quick Access window, but pressing that combination a second time doesn't close the Quick Access window.

It seems like all keyboard shortcuts which bring up the Quick Access window should behave in the same way, no?

Thanks,

Kirk out

• @Kirkvan You can enforce "lock on quit" behavior by toggling off "Keep 1Password in the menu bar" under Settings > General. If it's active in the menu bar, then 1Password is not really quit. There might be a way to clarify this better in the app.

• Kirkvan
    Kirkvan
    Community Member
    Options

@johnmarstall - Thanks for pointing that out. Disabling "Keep 1Password in the menu bar" definitely works to lock 1Password upon quit, but then the keyboard shortcuts don't work. Definitely not what we're looking for!

I suppose one could change the default "Lock on screensaver, sleep, or switching users" from the 10 minute default down to 1 minute, but that's a kludge. Plus, the auto-lock leaves 1Password in a state where it is asking for the master password, not Touch ID. Unlocking with Touch ID requires an extra click (on the little fingerprint icon), so it defeats the convenience of Touch ID.

This seems to be a big change (and security risk, IMHO) from previous versions of 1Password, where quitting the app locked everything down nice and tight. I'm not a fan of the current behavior.

OFFICIAL FEATURE REQUEST FOR 1Password 8: Give users (back) the option to lock 1Password on quit. And make it the default.

Many thanks,

Kirk out

• danvpeterson
    edited May 2022
    Options

Hey @kirkvan, can you share a bit more about your use cases for wanting the password generator to be so prevalant without wanting to save those passwords as items in 1Password? For most folks we've talked to, if they generate a new password it's because they want that saved as an item to use later. I'd like to better understand the use cases so we can think through how/why/where we can improve things here with all of the relevant information.

... It seems like all keyboard shortcuts which bring up the Quick Access window should behave in the same way, no?

The big difference here is that Command+\ has always autofilled a Login without showing any UI at all if you only have one login for the current site, where the other shortcut is to show the UI in order to search for things for all sorts of purposes. Command+\ only shows the UI if it isn't sure which item to fill to help you find which one you wanted. That's the reasoning behind the two shortcuts with different behavior. Having autofill inside of apps as well as web browsers has definitely changed expectations here for some folks though as previously, because there was no autofill in apps, it would feel like Command+\ was the same as the other shortcut whenever you weren't in a browser (previous "show UI" shortcut was Shift+Command+\ in 1Password 7).

Regarding "lock on quit" ... if you had a setting like that turned on, and you activate the shortcut for Quick Access which requires you to unlock, would you then expect it to be locked every time you activate Quick Access again? Even if it's within a minute or two? With the menu bar icon running, the app is never really "quit" as John mentioned, so a lot of people think of "quit" as different things. And things like that are the big gotchas with "lock on quit" as a feature. It's been confusing for a lot of folks and in the past has ended up frustrating more than it's helped in my experience. But we are definitely keeping track of feedback like this and considering it!

• Kirkvan
    Kirkvan
    Community Member
    Options

Use case for Password Generator: As a Mac consultant, I often send clients sensitive information in the form of a password protected .pdf. This is a one-off thing and I call them with the password to open the .pdf. I don’t ever need to know the password again, so saving it to 1Password would only clutter my vault.

• Hi @Kirkvan:

Thanks for sharing. While I can't promise anything, as Dan mentioned, we're continuing to think through how / when / where we can improve things.

Jack

• Kirkvan
    Kirkvan
    Community Member
    edited May 2022
    Options

In addition to my feature requests above, I would also like to suggest that the "Copy Username" and "Copy Password" shortcuts in grey text at the bottom of the Quick Access window be clickable. And am I missing the options to "Reveal" and/or "Show In Large Type" options in the QuickAccess window?

Many thanks!

• Hi @Kirkvan:

Thanks for your feedback on that, I'll make sure to share it with the team.

Jack

This discussion has been closed.